11:30 Flight Gatwick - dock Southampton 6 am- can it be done

Bigdog49

OK airfares dropped today about $200. The question what are my chances of making an 11:30 am flight from Gatwick on a Friday. No direct afternoon flights. We dock 6am Southampton

If it is like Barcelona the first NCL transfer departed at 6:30 am. That would give me about 3.5 hours to get to the airport and safely make the flight.

IMHO, it could be done, but you would be living dangerously - it would not take much for you to miss your flight. Do you care much if you do?

Published arrival time = 6 am.

"Disembarkation usually begins about two hours after docking" (as is so often said) = 8 am.

Road trip Southampton -> Gatwick about 2 hours = 10 am.

Do you much mind arriving at the airport to check in as little as 90 minutes before your flight? What if the ship is an hour late? What if it takes you 30 minutes to get out of the cruise ship terminal, even if you disembark at 8 am?

In short, do you mind having no margin in your plans?

I have been researching a similar trip from Harwich to Gatwick. Southampton to Gatwick is about 90 miles. A private driver will need 100 to 120 minutes depending on traffic. You should be at Gatwich about 2 hours before the flight. So it seems very tight to me. If your ship is a bit late, or there are any delays you run the risk of missing a flight. I recently had a similar issue occur when I returned from a cruise to Ft. Lauderdale. Instead of getting off a 7:30AM, (and we were in the first group to leave) we could not leave until about 8:30AM. We made our early flight, but barely.

On my coming flight out of Gatwick, I chose a non-direct 2:15PM flight that connects through DFW. I would rather spend an extra 3 or 4 hours traveling rather than worrying about missing the flight.

Try calling these people.

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/gatwick_southampton.htm

IMHO, it could be done, but you would be living dangerously - it would not take much for you to miss your flight. Do you care much if you do?

Published arrival time = 6 am.

"Disembarkation usually begins about two hours after docking" (as is so often said) = 8 am.

Road trip Southampton -> Gatwick about 2 hours = 10 am.

Do you much mind arriving at the airport to check in as little as 90 minutes before your flight? What if the ship is an hour late? What if it takes you 30 minutes to get out of the cruise ship terminal, even if you disembark at 8 am?

In short, do you mind having no margin in your plans?

Great advice as always. The fact is I hate no margin in my plans. No reason to get stressed out at the end of a vacation. I was hoping to return to Gatwick with my son who flys at 12:30 but it is too close. I will return on the 4 pm from Heathrow and he will have to make his own way to Gatwick. Heck I can take a post cruise tour of London :)

Archived