Food and Service on the Valor - 2/10 - 2/17.

Jilltoons

I put this on my other thread - but I wanted to share it with everyone

FOOD AND SERVICE AT MEALS:

Dining Room:

Our tablemates were so so so wonderful! How does Carnival do it? We were at a booth for 4. The other couple were the same ages as us. The husband was in hotel industry and had even helped consult for the same company I work with. It was so odd. They were incredible people!

Our main server was Barry - he was from South Africa, our Assistant Server was Elmer - from the Phillipines. Barry was a bit stiff - but we got him to loosen up by joking with him each night. Elmer was a wonderful guy, he always had a smile and a joke for us. I for some reason can not remember the beverage server - but he was wonderful too.

We could get anything we wanted off the menu. Many times I would order two appetizers, salad, entree - and then ALWAYS - the Melting Chocolate Cake. (For all of you fans there - I must admit though - the ice cream with the cake is what made it for me.....) YUM.

I thought the food in the dining room was a B. Many items failed, but if you ask your server, they will help you go in the right direction. The first night I had the Asparagus Soup - I thought I was in an old folks home eating tastless and bland broth. I tried adding a bit of salt and pepper - no good, though on the bright side - the asparagus pieces were yummy. The New York Steak that evening was wonderful.

The Caesar Salad is very very good - though on one night the lettuce must have been too wet - the flavor was very watery.

On Monday night - Formal night - I felt the lobster was just ok - my husband ordered two - Mind you - when you order a second lobster tail - you will get the entire meal again. They do not just bring you a second tail.

The pasta as an appetizer is a great way to go.

Breakfast - Went to Rosies most of the time - through buffet. It's ok - I wasn't a fan however of the Scrambled Eggs - But they have an amazing Salsa that is on the buffet that when mixed with the Scrambled Eggs is terrific. The sausage was just plain weird. The bacon was pretty limp and thin, BUT..........................the Omelettes were very good - just the line was long. Get their early. There is always Oatmeal and Grits. Lots of Cereals and Fruit galore. I brought a few bananas that weren't ripe up to my room - this was a nice snack after a day of ripening.

We had Breakfast in the Washington Dining Room one day. Most days we were too tired - or going on an excursion so didn't go there. It was a real treat. The people that we sat with were from North Carolina - and all of them were so nice. My husband and I both had the Eggs Benedict - it was fine.

Lunch:

Had the Grilled Rueben at the Deli - extra great!!!!!!

Had the buffet most days - Always found something good. Fun to try new items. So many salads!!!!! Every day a different theme and very good. I thought the service in Rosies was wonderful. Everyone was always so friendly and willing to help you with anything you needed.

PIzza - YUM! Had the Cheese, the Mushroom Goat Cheese, the Pepperoni....oh and a bite of my husbands pan pizza. I thought they were all very good. The crust is very very light, but golden.

Make sure on Saturday to do the Taco Bar. WOW!!!! It was so delicious. I wanted to try all of their salsas. Very very fresh! The guy serving their cracked me up.

Also Saturday at lunch the theme for the buffet is CHOCOLATE. Try as much as you can. They even have small milkshakes. I had 4 different types of chocolate desserts, some biscotti, cookies and the milkshake. What fun!

Dinner:

4 out of 7 days we ate in the dining room. Service - OUTSTANDING.

2 days at the buffet at Rosies (we ate up their on Friday night - just wasn't in the mood for another formal night) - On Friday night they had a carver with Prime Rib and the yummy Chocolate Melting Cake was there too. With the company of my hubby - couldn't have asked for a nicer meal.

One Valentines night we went to Scarlett's. This was the nicest dining experience we have ever had. I felt like a princess.

I had the Crab Cake and Lobster Bisque - whoops and the Caesar Salad. You have never tasted Lobster Bisque like this - ORDER IT! WOW! My husband had the Escargot sampler and the Lobster Bisque too - YUM!

Entree: Husband - Porterhouse - he gave me the filet part and it melted in your mouth. I ordered the Lobster tail - it was HUGE! I split it with my husband. For dessert I ordered the chocolate trio - I was way too full and only had a taste of each one. Felt bad - but was way too full.

The service at Scarlett's was spot on.

So I would say this: If you are a food critic. I am one - must admit. I was a bit too picky at times. The dining room food was hit or miss - but they are very willing to get you something different if you do not like your first choice. Be adventursome - listen to your waiter/ waitress. They will not let you down.

Jilltoons, happy to hear you had such a great cruise and thanks for your review.

Where is the Taco Bar located? Is it a make your own tacos and what type of tacos did they have? Did you go to the Mongolian Buffet?

I'll be on the Valor in less than 2 months and as you can tell by the many questions I'm excited and can't wait.

Jilltoons, happy to hear you had such a great cruise and thanks for your review.

Where is the Taco Bar located? Is it a make your own tacos and what type of tacos did they have? Did you go to the Mongolian Buffet?

I'll be on the Valor in less than 2 months and as you can tell by the many questions I'm excited and can't wait.

I completely understand about the questions. This was my first cruise and the more you know the better you will do.

The Taco Bar was only on Saturday - we just stumbled upon it. It was on the main level of Rosie's (on the Lido deck). It was during lunch only. The same day as the Chocolate Buffet. They only had the crispy tacos - ground beef, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, guac., 5 different kinds of salsa (each better than the next). They had chips and nacho cheese as well. Oh Refried Beans and Rice was there as well.

We did not make it to the Mongolian Buffet. In another post I mentioned the 1600 Chinese group that we had on our ship. The favorites for this group was the Mongolian Buffet and Fish & Chips - so needless to say we didn't have either. Looked very good though.

Keep those questions coming :)

Thanks for the review.

Just one question about the Ruben, did it have 1000 island dressing and sauerkraut? Had one on our Valor cruise and it had neither.:confused:

The Rueben did have Sauerkraut and 1000 Island Dressing -

There was a Pastrami Sandwich on Rye - I wonder if that is what they accidently made you :)

Archived