Calica Dock at 1PM Edventures?

scoshe

We will be arriving at Calica on March 26th at 1PM. Is this too late to go on an excursion with Edventures. Will we be rushed and run out of daylight?

There will be 4 of us, DW, myself, son 15 and daughter 12. We would like to see Tulum, snorkle, cenotes and maybe see some of the other sights. The reviews of Ed's are great, but we just want to make sure we have enough time to enjoy everything.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

We will be arriving at Calica on March 26th at 1PM. Is this too late to go on an excursion with Edventures. Will we be rushed and run out of daylight?

There will be 4 of us, DW, myself, son 15 and daughter 12. We would like to see Tulum, snorkle, cenotes and maybe see some of the other sights. The reviews of Ed's are great, but we just want to make sure we have enough time to enjoy everything.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you get right off the ship, you'll have around 5 hours of daylight. Probably enough time for two activites (turtle snorkel, cenote, Yal Ku lagoon swim, cliff jumping, etc.). Still a great day. E-mail Bonnie & Ed and ask about your options.

I just emailed Eventures asking the same question! We are on Fascination 4 day cruise arriving in Calica @ 1 also, but March 12. We also have a 12 yr old & 15 yr old, opposite genders to yours! We also thought the cenotes & snorling with the sea turtles sounded good. It's hard to know whether these areas are near to the Tulum ruins so that all can fit in... looking forward to responses. Wondering if it's worth it to go back on the ship for dinner and then for a bit of shopping in Playa del Carmen after dinner for a couple of hours or maybe just better to eat there. Difficult to prioritize the activities for such a short time. Also that Grandma does not want to snorkel with us but would be happy to be with us there anyway, I wonder how Eventures would charge for that. Also is all the equipment supplied?

I e-mailed Ed before I realized we were getting in so late. From my understanding, they are located next, or near Tulum. Both of my kids recently learned about the ruins in school and are excited to see them.

We'll just have to pick 1 more activity and then see how much time we have left. I really think Ed's is the way to go and we can just go at our own pace.

Yes, the snorkel gear is included.

I'm curious about this too. I just paid my deposit for a tour on 2/27 (Carnival Fascination). There are such good reviews, but I'm wondering if we're going to feel really rushed. It sounds like everyone that has done Edventures has been very pleased. I'm just wondering if we would have more fun just relaxing on the beach in Playa Del Carmen and shopping??? Any comments from past experiences?

I'm curious about this too. I just paid my deposit for a tour on 2/27 (Carnival Fascination). There are such good reviews, but I'm wondering if we're going to feel really rushed. It sounds like everyone that has done Edventures has been very pleased. I'm just wondering if we would have more fun just relaxing on the beach in Playa Del Carmen and shopping??? Any comments from past experiences?

Do you mean you booked something with Eventures in Calica? Are you being met in Calica? At what time? How long will you be spending with them and where did they suggest you had time to go? Thanks for the info.

We were with Edventures Dec. 07, went shopping in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, much better and cheaper then shopping excurtion thru Carnival. Ed meet us at Calica, we were able to do what and where we wanted to go. Would use them the next time we go back, no rushing at all. Only recomendition i would have is if you want to eat dinner off ship, do a search for restrauents in Playa.

Got an e-mail from Bonnie and she said we would have about 8 hours of daylight. 2-4pm Ruins of Tulum. 4-6pm cenotes Dos Ojos. 6-7:30 lagoon aquarium. Then we shold have time to swim with the turtles.

Can't wait to meet them in person and have an unforgettable day.

I e-mailed Ed before I realized we were getting in so late. From my understanding, they are located next, or near Tulum. Both of my kids recently learned about the ruins in school and are excited to see them.

We'll just have to pick 1 more activity and then see how much time we have left. I really think Ed's is the way to go and we can just go at our own pace.

Yes, the snorkel gear is included.

Ed was great. We took a tour with him on the Cruise in November. He picked us up at the docks at we went to Tulum and then proceeded to two snorkeling excursions. One person that joined our group did not swim, Ed gave him a couple of noodles and he was right out there with the rest of us. Charlie the driver we had was fantastic also. One of teh kids decided he did not want to snorkel and Charlie entertained him while we swam. Edventures is worth every penny and you will not be let down at all. I have recommended them numerous times since I came back and people who have taken my advice also came back raving about the experience.

I e-mailed edventures after reading all the wonderful reviews. I still haven't heard from them. How long do they typically take to reply? We sail in on the Fascination 4/9/08. It's our first cruise and want a truly memorable experience for our children as well as ourselves.

We were scheduled to arrive in Calica @ 1, went to line up @ 12:30 to get out asap. I guess we got out around 1:30 & Hector from Edventures was there to meet us. We were 7, my husband & I, daughter (15), son (12), my mother, sister in law & nephew (16) & had a jam packed day (that's what we wanted!). We visited the ruins & visited the shops a bit then went 3 places for snorkeling: the ceynotes, sea turtles then lagoon. All were very different & wonderful experiences for all. We also enjoyed taking pictures with the spider monkey near the ceynotes. We wanted to back to the ship by 8:30 & were exactly on time. The sun was going down a bit at the lagoon but we still had enough time. we didn't take the time to go to the restaurant & beach often included on their tours- we figured there was enough food aboard!

We were scheduled to arrive in Calica @ 1, went to line up @ 12:30 to get out asap. I guess we got out around 1:30 & Hector from Edventures was there to meet us. We were 7, my husband & I, daughter (15), son (12), my mother, sister in law & nephew (16) & had a jam packed day (that's what we wanted!). We visited the ruins & visited the shops a bit then went 3 places for snorkeling: the ceynotes, sea turtles then lagoon. All were very different & wonderful experiences for all. We also enjoyed taking pictures with the spider monkey near the ceynotes. We wanted to back to the ship by 8:30 & were exactly on time. The sun was going down a bit at the lagoon but we still had enough time. we didn't take the time to go to the restaurant & beach often included on their tours- we figured there was enough food aboard!

I'm glad to hear you had a good time. We (ages 16 - 57) have booked their tour for next week!:D Who was your guide? Was the lagoon worth the stop - we were thinking of skipping it.

Thanks for the review. Glad to hear it was a good time. Our plans include everything you did and I feel better about having enough time. Only 8 days before we go on our Edventure. It can't get here soon enough as my DD has been bouncing off the wall for 2 weeks with excitement.

It took about a week to get some replies. Bonnie apologized profusely--apparently they are slammed with all the Spring Break business. I was also informed that they no longer offer the turtle swim? Maybe I misunderstood. We are planning to snorkel the cenote & lagoon, see the ruins and zipline. Add in a bite to eat in the restaurant by the beach, and we've seen Mexico! The kids (8, 15, & 18) are more than excited by this itinerary. We are being met at the ship.

Hector was our guide & was very pleasant & informative. It was a jam packed day, we were on the go. About the sea turtles- it seems that now there is an additional charge to go to the beach with the sea turtles if you are brought in by a guide so... I understand that they are telling you ahead that it is no longer available. What we did, was go in ourselves, but I guess that is less ideal. In the lagoon it was not that clear to see fish, we saw a few interesting ones but if you have snorkeled elsewhere or plan to, it probably could be skipped.

fla mom, we're on the same cruise with you and doing edventures too, we're being met at the pier also. BUT we're doing a different itinerary than the one you're doing.

Does anyone know - will they take us all to Tulum together and then pass us off to different guides? I thought it was a private tour? Not complaining about anyone else going just curious because they are charging us for the tour ($55)and for the use of transportation ($60). Am I missing something?:confused: :D

fla mom, we're on the same cruise with you and doing edventures too, we're being met at the pier also. BUT we're doing a different itinerary than the one you're doing.

Does anyone know - will they take us all to Tulum together and then pass us off to different guides? I thought it was a private tour? Not complaining about anyone else going just curious because they are charging us for the tour ($55)and for the use of transportation ($60). Am I missing something?:confused: :D

WHy don't you just e-mail Bonnie and ask her? Better to have the right answer from the source, than from elsewhere.

It's my understanding that they usually take everyone from the same ship back to their shop and then you divide up with your private guide to begin your day. We will be with them next Thursday (3/27). I hadn't heard about the Turtle Sanctuary not being available.

They asked us if we would mind combining groups with another small group with a similar itinerary, and we said no we wouldn't mind. As far as I know, we are being met at the ship and taken to Tulum to tour on our own, and then meet up with them again after the ruins to do the other adventures. Did you hire them for the ruins, too? Also, my prices were $75/pp (4 adults--the teens are counted as adults) and $55/1 child, plus $10 pp for the zipline. That's all including transportation. I got e-mails from Bonnie. We pay extra for the ruins ($6. and change), and for lunch.

I suppose we could be that small group, we wanted to hit the ruins for a few photo's maybe 45 minutes, then the cenotes, for like an hour, then the lagoon - which apparently is out now (something about fees), and then La Buena Vida for food and drinks, and then wanted to be back in Playa around 7pm so I don't think that sounds like the same itenerary - do you? Bonnie and I jiggled the plan a few times by email before we settled on that one, so now I'm really confused.:confused: Maybe we just transport to the 'office' together and go our seperate ways from there? Also I have no clue about the price difference - maybe they just divided it differently? All I know is the email said $55 per person for the tour, and if we wanted to use one of their cars - with them driving, as opposed to a rental with us driving - it was an additional $60, plus lunch and admission to Tulum. Maybe I'll call Bonnie tomorrow and see if I can get this figured out.

Not that we'd mind sharing, but we are alone - for the first time in forever - and kinda liked the idea of doing this at our own pace. You know longer here, shorter there, skip that...

The itinerary sounds similar to ours. Bonnie specifically asked if we'd mind sharing our tour, which we don't. However, if you're looking for that alone time, by all means let them know. I don't think the price mattered whether we were a large or small group. My understanding is we do Tulum on our own, and when we're ready for the rest, we meet them at their office, which is outside the ruins. We also wanted some shopping included for souvenirs. So, maybe we'll be sharing a vehicle to the ruins! We're Mike & Linda.

Archived