Calica Dock at 1PM Edventures?

scoshe

Our ship doesn't get in until 1:00, so early in the day is relative! I do think, however, that we will start with the ruins because of it's location to their shop. I e-mailed them to ask about timing for the restaurant so we knew if we should eat a late breakfast or snack before, or will be go to lunch following the ruins...not sure of timing. We're not doing the turtle swim because of my dh not swimming well and I also have an 8 yo. We're doing the cenote and lagoon, though. So, I guess we'll just see how it all plays out. Because of the heat, although they allow 1 1/2 hours for the ruins, I can see us getting through in an hour, unless we are really captivated and it's not too hot! My kids are fascinated by stuff like that. We went camping at St. Augustine last summer, and they loved all the historical stuff.

We had a great day with Edventures, But it started out kind of rocky. Our ship was to dock at 1:00, but a smaller ship was docked, so we had to wait for it to leave, so we got in around 1:20. No big deal, right, Wrong. It took us an hour to get off the ship once they announced we were cleared to leave. We were stuck in the hot stairwell on the empress deck with everyone else trying to get off. We were watching time go by thinking what were were going to have to miss.

Once we finally got off, we immediately saw someone from Ed's with a sign with our name on it. From then on it was a great day. We started out at the Ruins and did this tour on our own. We videotaped all of the signs, so we could read about everything later. Then on to the cenotes. On the way out, we got to see the spider monkey and play with her for a few minutes. Then on to the lagoon for some nice snorkeling. By the time we were done here, the sun was starting to go down, so back to the ship. My wife wanted to stop at a small market for souveniers and we were back on the ship by 9:00.

My suggestion would be to get in line to get off the ship by 12:30. The gangway is on the 3rd deck, so get in line no higher than the 4th deck. It seemed they let all of the lower decks clear before anyone could go down the stairs.

We had a great day with Edventures, But it started out kind of rocky. Our ship was to dock at 1:00, but a smaller ship was docked, so we had to wait for it to leave, so we got in around 1:20. No big deal, right, Wrong. It took us an hour to get off the ship once they announced we were cleared to leave. We were stuck in the hot stairwell on the empress deck with everyone else trying to get off. We were watching time go by thinking what were were going to have to miss.

Once we finally got off, we immediately saw someone from Ed's with a sign with our name on it. From then on it was a great day. We started out at the Ruins and did this tour on our own. We videotaped all of the signs, so we could read about everything later. Then on to the cenotes. On the way out, we got to see the spider monkey and play with her for a few minutes. Then on to the lagoon for some nice snorkeling. By the time we were done here, the sun was starting to go down, so back to the ship. My wife wanted to stop at a small market for souveniers and we were back on the ship by 9:00.

My suggestion would be to get in line to get off the ship by 12:30. The gangway is on the 3rd deck, so get in line no higher than the 4th deck. It seemed they let all of the lower decks clear before anyone could go down the stairs.

Wow, thanks for the tips. I got an e-mail from Bonnie with what the breakdown of the day will be like--in a perfect world. I guess we'll play everything by ear once we get there. Great idea to videotape the signs. We've done that trick as well on other trips! We just take a picture very close up to go with a picture of what the sign represents. Video taping is probably a better read! How was the market for souvenirs? Anything worthwhile? We've also got shopping on our list of the day's activities, and they mentioned some small shops they go to...

Archived