Where to Stay in Cozumel?

DougM

I'm planning a surprise trip to Cozumel for my wife to celebrate our 20th anniversary. The trip will be in March 2005 so I have plenty of time to plan it.

My question is, where should we stay? I'd put our budget at between $100 and $200 a night (although cheaper is ok too). And the preference would be to be on the beach.

Please let me know your thoughts on where and why.

Thanks,

Doug

My absolute favorite spot is the Presidente Intercontinental. Some people will tell you that it is too pricey, but I disagree. It is worth every penny. The property is very nice and the service is fantastic. There is a beautiful reef and great snorkeling right at the hotel. You can usually find special rates via the Intercontinental website. It's http://www.interconti.com. IMO it would be a wonderful spot for a 20th anniversary surprise. And, they'll help you plan special events like a romantic dinner on the beach with your own personal guitar player. It's truly an amazing place. You can join their frequent stay program for $150 dollars and receive an automatic room upgrade plus a free night. Happy Anniversary!

What are you planning on doing while you are there? If you are scuba divers then I would stay to the south because it takes a lot less time to get to the reefs from those hotels.

If you like the beach then perhaps consider Playa Del Carmen instead? It is a short ferry ride over to Cozumel if you wanted to do a day trip.

There is a hotel called Playa Maya in Playa del Carmen (http://www.playa-maya.com) that is intimate, reasonably priced, right on the beach and close to 5th avenue.

no special plans...just want to hang out...beach time...snorkeling....spend a day with Adrian...

What can you tell me about the Sol Cabanas Del Caribe?

I haven't been there, but there are 2 web sites that have visitor reviews of hotels in Cozumel.

Tripadvisor.com

and

Travelnotes.cc

Some of the reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. Just like anything you read on the internet, it might not be totally factual.

Be particular about where you stay. It does make a difference. Know what you are getting and don't take things forgranted, for instance, not all places are airconditioned!

The number one ranked place (Trip Advisor ratings) is not a large hotel but

Baldwin Guest House, Avenue 55 Sur:

"Daily breakfast is included with room rates.We have quality, well kept units: 1 standard apartment, 1 deluxe apartment and 2 Suites.Set in large tropical garden where breakfast is served each morning .All rooms have private baths, A/C, cable TV, H/C pressured water, nonsmoking. Families welcome. Gazebo with loungers, cable TV, VCR, Stereo, library. Swimming pool, water fall, outdoor shower. Rinse tank dry area. Roof top Palapa with hammocks. Outdoor kitchen/BBQ"

I've never seen one bad review on this place.

The Presidente Intercontinental is the only 4 diamond resort in Cozumel. It is certainly above average for the area hotels, and it's certainly priced above the average area hotels. However I have always felt the Mexican hotels received a higher rating than we'd give the same hotel if it were in the states. Still, it's water front and offers all the resort hotel trappings, onsite dive certification, pools, spa treatments, etc.

It all just depends on what you are looking for.

There's also a place called Hotel Flamingo, Calle 6 Nte. no. 81, Cozumel, that has reveived wonderful reviews. It's a small quaint place, located downtown off a quiet street and 1/2 block from the water. The owner is Tom and seems to have a real repoire with his guests and is very helpful, has been said to bend over backwards to assist you with your vacation needs, has great food, great bartender, about to rennovate, pool going in next year. Very Resonable prices.

Plaza Las Glorias is in the midst of renovation after being purchased by another hotel chain. Moon Palace rings a bell or something like that, but it's supposed to be first class and the location is perfect ~ right across the street from our closest thing to Super Walmart here on the island "Chedrauli" and our mini-mall, within walking distance to downtown. I'm not sure when they plan on opening but I'm sure they are aiming for high season ~ Jan 2005.. You may check with Bay Adventures Travel Agency for more info.

Archived