Do young boys have to wear suit coats on formal night?

renewed

I hate to spend the money to buy a suit coat for DS, but I will if I have to. I was hoping I might be able to get away with a dress shirt and pants for him. Is this possible? DS is 9. I guess my question is: How strict are they with children on formal night? We are planning to go to the early seating. My DD won't be a problem because she has plenty of nice dresses.

I hate to spend the money to buy a suit coat for DS, but I will if I have to. I was hoping I might be able to get away with a dress shirt and pants for him. Is this possible? DS is 9. I guess my question is: How strict are they with children on formal night? We are planning to go to the early seating. My DD won't be a problem because she has plenty of nice dresses.

A nice dress shirt with a tie and nice pants are fine for someone his age. He'd probably even be OK without the tie, as long as he was wearing a dress shirt. He definitely would not need a suit coat.

That would be a huge relief. I was a little unsure because of how strongly they state that men will NOT be admitted without a suit coat. (The only other cruise we took, 15 years ago, was pre-children.)

Thanks!

HAHAHAHAHA where did you read that? I just went back in your past posts and see that you are doing RCCL and going to Alaska. Believe me, men will not be turned away for not wearing suit coats. ;) I swear some of the dress police get a little crazy with their views.

Your son will be fine in a dress shirt/pants.

Happy sailing!

you are doing RCCL and going to Alaska. Believe me, men will not be turned away for not wearing suit coats. ;) I swear some of the dress police get a little crazy with their views.

Your son will be fine in a dress shirt/pants.

Happy sailing!

RCCL is OK, I saw a lot of people even wear "T" :eek: for Mexico cruise in RCCL. Last time, I took HAL, most of the people are very formal even teens. For my family and myself, I need to make a BIG Adjustment to go to HAL. However, I did enjoy my HAL cruise. ;)

Children tend to look adorable with almost any level of "dress" clothes. I wouldn't worry too much. Make a reasonable effort to dress them up and no one will think they are under-dressed, formal night or not. And if they do, well who cares anyway. They certainly won't be turned away at the dining room.

I've never understood why some people try to scare you into dressing a certain way or you'll be kicked off the ship. :p Your son will be perfectly dressed if he is neat and clean. :) Don't worry about it. I spent almost 9 months worrying about fashion before my first cruise... from these boards, you'd think that it was a life and death situation. From my experience, it is not! ;) In fact, the people on our cruise were very, VERY well dressed (we had very few children on our cruise as it wasn't a holiday/break time), but we did see some casual attire on adults on formal night. Everyone survived. :)

If he does wear a coat and tie, he'll receive tons of comments! We bought a coat on e-bay so we weren't out much. I think that everyone on the ship commented on how he looked and he loved the attention of all of the grannies onboard.

Do the little boys tend to wear same color jackets/pants, or khakis with a jacket?

Very few young boys wear jackets in our experience so it's hard to say. Of the handful I have seen, some wore matching and others wore mixed. My son is 14 now, so I have purchased him a blazer to wear with his khakis on formal evenings as he wants to appear more adult. He would still be fine without it but it was his choice so I want to encourage him. It all still comes off and the jeans go back on the moment dinner is over though!

Honestly, seeing my son all dressed up, and hearing the ooh's and ahh's was worth the few bucks we spent as JC Penney onthis suit.

Of course, you can see in this pic that he 'felt' good being well dressed. too bad i can't figure out how to poct it bigger!

do kids 'have to be' formal, no. but i don't regret that suit one bit.

suit.jpg

Honestly, seeing my son all dressed up, and hearing the ooh's and ahh's was worth the few bucks we spent as JC Penney onthis suit.

Of course, you can see in this pic that he 'felt' good being well dressed. too bad i can't figure out how to poct it bigger!

do kids 'have to be' formal, no. but i don't regret that suit one bit.

suit.jpg

Too Cute. He's a little model!

Hmmm, I don't remember where I read that. As I recall it was somewhere fairly official. But I've read reams of stuff and I can't remember now!

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm one of those types who wants to follow the rules and not get in trouble or have nasty surprises. : )

I think I will go for the dress shirt and pants for him, and perhaps a tie. It will be hard enough to keep the crazy dress shirt ironed so it doesn't look like a complete disaster (no, I won't want to pay ship's prices for THAT).

I think whoever thought up the idea of formal night should be ummmm, shown the door. I HATE the formal thing. At least I have an outfit that I'm happy with for me, and DH can just wear his suit (he only owns one!). DD is no problem because she has lots of cute dresses.

Hmmm, I don't remember where I read that. As I recall it was somewhere fairly official. But I've read reams of stuff and I can't remember now!

Well don't worry. Do you know how many people ask on the RCCL board if they can wear their FORMAL jeans. :p ;)

I am sure he will look great.

Lowie - What a handsome little man! He looks so proud to be wearing those duds. :D

I forced my DS-9 to wear a suit. He complained about it. We had a wonderful family portrait taken. We told him if he did not complainand took good pictures (he likes to make faces) He could wear just the shirt an tie the second formal night. He choose to wear the suit.

I went and bought my son a tie for formal night- he is 7 and guess what he ended up going to Jonny Rockets with the kids club:D

That's pretty funny. My DS would *wear* a suit willingly enough, but I hesitate to spend the money for something he wouldn't wear very much and grow out of too quickly.

Thanks for sharing!

Renewed

I've never understood why some people try to scare you into dressing a certain way or you'll be kicked off the ship. :p Your son will be perfectly dressed if he is neat and clean. :) Don't worry about it. I spent almost 9 months worrying about fashion before my first cruise... from these boards, you'd think that it was a life and death situation. From my experience, it is not! ;) In fact, the people on our cruise were very, VERY well dressed (we had very few children on our cruise as it wasn't a holiday/break time), but we did see some casual attire on adults on formal night. Everyone survived. :)

Hello Michele,

It's Dave and Mary from the last cruise. (We did the falls together) Congrats on your pregnancy.:p

We are taking Dave's girls this year and we're departing next week out of Port Canaveral.

I see you'll be busy for awhile.

Any future cruise plans?

Hope all is well for you and your family.

Good Luck:)

Hello Michele,

It's Dave and Mary from the last cruise. (We did the falls together) Congrats on your pregnancy.:p

We are taking Dave's girls this year and we're departing next week out of Port Canaveral.

I see you'll be busy for awhile.

Any future cruise plans?

Hope all is well for you and your family.

Good Luck:)

Hi, Dave & Mary!!! Of course I remember you - so glad you said hello. :D

Are you going on the Mariner again or taking a different line? I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!!! How old are Dave's girls? We can't wait to take our girls, but it looks like they'll have to wait a little longer. I'm not up to cruising pregnant and I'm not taking a baby. I'll be patient though! (After all, it's for a good cause! ;))

Thanks again for stopping by and saying hello!!! Have a WONDERFUL time!!!

Hi, Dave & Mary!!! Of course I remember you - so glad you said hello. :D

Are you going on the Mariner again or taking a different line? I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!!! How old are Dave's girls? We can't wait to take our girls, but it looks like they'll have to wait a little longer. I'm not up to cruising pregnant and I'm not taking a baby. I'll be patient though! (After all, it's for a good cause! ;))

Thanks again for stopping by and saying hello!!! Have a WONDERFUL time!!!

We're cruising on the Carnival Glory this year. I'll post when we return. Going to the Bahamas, St Thomas, and St Martin.

Crystal wil turn 21 in St Thomas and Amanda graduates this year. My son Jake is going but his older brother didn't want to go this year. :eek: He graduated last year and would rather do a strictly fishing trip.

Our E-Mail is rosemarie@coslink.net. E-Mail us. Love to keep in touch.

Take care and take your vitamins and plenty of calcium. Nurse Mary.:p

Hope to hear from you soon

Archived