If you're thinking of swimming with dolphins.....

cozislander

you should go to the travelnotes.cc discussion board or the Cozumel My Cozumel forums. Just read several posts that specifically talk about dolphins from the newest "dolphinarium" who are believed to be dead. What happened to them speaks to the fact that they just shouldn't be held in captivity for our entertainment.

Besides these posts, you can find lots of information on the internet that may convince you to forgo this particular tour when you come to Cozumel.

There's nothing more beautiful then seeing dolpins swimming freely along side the ferry as we go between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel. Or to come upon them when you least expect it while you're sailing around Passion Island. A stark contrast to the set up at Chankanaab where they live in a small area and entertain visitors all day.

Copied from the cozumelmycozumel.com website.

"Just read in this morning's paper that Cozumel's new downtown "dolphinarium" has closed it's doors and fired all personnel.

I had previously heard reports that Atlantida, (located across from Neptuno on Melgar) had taken their 14 dolphins out of the water as Hurricane Ivan approached and had placed them in small plastic tubs inside the convention center. As the news media got wind of what was going on, Atlantida staff decided to transport the dophins to a hotel swimming pool.

Now I'm reading that they then decided to transport them to Cancun (which is where they used to be after being brought in from the Solomon Islands).

Since that time it seems that no one knows where the dolphins are, but many suspect that they perished as a result of all of the movement.

I have always been amazed that while our own locals aren't allowed to do any recreational fishing within our very large marine park because we must protect nature and wildlife, authorities are happy to approve keeping dolphins in captivity for the entertainment of tourists. Whether it's Atlantida or Chankanaab, it's just plain wrong."

Please don't visit these places!

I must admit that I was drawn in to the Swim With The Dolphins program, but that was before I read more about these programs and how they are not only harmful to the dolphins and their well-being but how humans can be in danger. While much of the activity with the dolphins is structured, there is a "free swim" when the dolphins swim (very quickly and powerfully) among the people in the pen. It's kind of scary. One accidental move and a person could get seriously hurt. The parks don't report the instances of injury.

Secondly, dolphins in the wild have free reign to dive and swim, sometimes hundreds and maybe even thousands of miles, but these pens are small and shallow. The dolphins are removed in the wild from their pods. In the case of the Solomon Island dolphins many dolphins were killed in the process of the capture and others died in captivity.

I wish I had known 6 years ago what I know now about the Swim With The Dolphins programs. I would never presume to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do. But, I would advise that you do your research before participating in these programs. The Humane Society of the US has posted some great information. Here's a good link to start with: http://www.hsus.org/ace/12616

Archived