Help! Leaving in 3 Days!

katavenger

Hi,

Apparently my trip has snuck up on me and I'm finding myself trying to plan an excursion for my husband and myself in less than 3 days. My delima: This is our 3rd Cruise.....Our first cruise, we purchased all Ship Excursions...fun, but very expensive! Our second cruise, we read the boards and planned great excursions on our own. For this trip, I'm at a loss as what to do. We're not interested in snorkeling...been there, done that. I was traumatized when horseback riding as a child, so that's never going to be an option. We really enjoy historical/older homes....I've been reading that Rose Hall is very interesting. Also, I read that Mayfield Falls is quite beautiful and a pleasant place. Is it possible to taxi to Rose Hall and pay admission there? Can we then taxi to Mayfield and pay there and taxi back to the ship? Would this be possible in one day? Do any of you have any other suggestions for excursions?

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Another CCer Missmissypie, did the Rose Hall tour and loved it. Then she went to Sunset Beach Resort ( right next to the ship in Montego Bay) and did their all inclusive for just $20. The all inclusive includes alcoholic beverages, sodas, food, 3 beaches to choose from, 3 pools to choose from, $1 a minute massages, use of all non-motorized watersports like kayaks and paddleboats, and even beach towels are provided. All you have to bring is yourself and the $20 ( unless you want to get a massage or buy something in their gift shop.) There are no pushy vendors trying to get you to buy their stuff. And tipping is not required, this is an "all inclusive" that covers everything, even tipping.:) I have heard many CCers rave about Rose Hall and Sunset Beach, so you can't go wrong with these two in my opinion. Mayfield falls is nice but it's not in Montego Bay and is quite a drive to get to. So part of your time is stuck in a tour bus or taxi for quite a while. Since our time is limited and very valuable to us, we decided to do stuff that was right in Montego Bay.

When looking at excursons, be sure to check and see where they are located first so you'll know in advance that there will be a long ride. I've heard other CCers complain about not knowing they would be stuck in a tour bus for so long and it ruined their excursion for them. :( Many excursions offered for the Montego Bay area by your ship and some tour companies are actually driving to Ocho Rios for the excursion because that is where a lot of the tourist areas are. But Ocho Rios doesn't have Sunset Beach Resort, Montego Bay does, and it is definitely a great place to go. Montego Bay does have some really nice stuff to offer, you just have to do some research on it. One good website that has been fantastic help for me is www.montego-bay-jamaica.com. It is the official visitor's guide for the Montego Bay area. I really like it because it has lots of info. for the Mo' Bay area and lists all of the excursions to choose from there. I hope this helps and good luck!:)

I can highly recommend Belinda at a-zjamaicaplanners. Her guide driver Reyn took us to Rose Hall, the beach, shopping and to Margaritaville (if we wished). This was all day and included entry fees for $45 each. It was great. Belinda's email is working as I talked to her last night. She does both Ochio Rios and MoBay tours. The driver will make sure you get back on time, too.

Bon Voyage

Here is the site for Rose Hall and Sunset Beach - I would do both on my own - but try and find out what others have paid for the taxi - so you will know if you are getting a good deal. I know the fare from the pier to Sunset Beach direct is $2.00 per person each way - but who knows what it will be from Rose Hall. Also - only use official taxis - they are the safest.

http://montego-bay-jamaica.com/ajal/rosehall/

http://www.sunsetbeachjamaica.com/

I loved Rose Hall but not the rest of the excursion that we booked w/Carnival in 2001. They took us to a craft village where the vendors were VERY pushy and I think that is an understatement. I would arrange a JUTA cab to take you there, but you would have to ask them to come back at a certain time to pick you up. Or maybe you could do an off-ship excursion booking through A-Z Jamaica Planners, might be the best option.

I'm leaving N.O. for an itinerary that includes MoBay Sunday - are you on the Conquest too?

Suzy

Hi!

Sunset Beach is a great deal! You will enjoy that! There is another great house/plantation called Belfield. It is located nearer than Rose Hall-- it was built in the 1700's and is still operated by the direct British descendants. It only recently started being opened back up to the public-- and cruise ship passengers. It would be alot less taxi $ and save you time- which you could enjoy at Sunset Beach! Just an idea!

Enjoy your time in Jamaica!

Shipperx -

You don't need to make reservations - just show up when you please! I was there last week and loved it! I could hardly tear myself away from that swim-up bar to go back to the boat. They had great pina coladas! I didn't see any kayaks or any other water toys - but they had just reopened after the hurricane and most of the beaches were still closed.

Archived