Barcelona-Port to Airport Question?????

I have a simple port to airport question.

My DW and I are traveling on the Norwegian Cruise Ship Gem late September.

We will be docking in Barcelona on Sunday morning at 5am, although disembarking is probably closer to 9am?.

We want to leave the same day.

The latest flight I can find on Sunday coming back to Los Angeles is 12:20pm.

Will we have any problems making this international flight?

Are there any special disembarking procedure?

Thanks.

You will probably think I am crazy but I thought that since the Gem is docking at 5 am we could make the 9:45 am so I booked it. Now I am hyperventilating that we will not make it.

This is what we are doing. When I get on the ship I am going to let them know we need to be one of the first ones off. We will wheel our luggage off with us, grab a cab and am praying that it is not crowded at the airport. We arrive on May 4th and according to the calendar there are no other ships in port. That said I would book the 12:25 flight.

We just booked our return flight from Barcelona to Miami on Continental. The very nice reservation agent told me she was advised to not recommend booking a flight before noon so I would think the 12:20 flight will be perfect!

laura

For those who have an early morning flight, just know that the Barcelona airport is often a zoo - with really long check in lines. Even if you get off the ship and to the airport quickly, you need to allow plenty of time (usually we are in line for at least an hour, if not more) for check in. I'd be very wary of any flight before 10 am. That being said, your 12 something flight should be fine.

You will probably think I am crazy but I thought that since the Gem is docking at 5 am we could make the 9:45 am so I booked it. Now I am hyperventilating that we will not make it.

This is what we are doing. When I get on the ship I am going to let them know we need to be one of the first ones off. We will wheel our luggage off with us, grab a cab and am praying that it is not crowded at the airport. We arrive on May 4th and according to the calendar there are no other ships in port. That said I would book the 12:25 flight.

NCL told me it was ok to book flights as early as 10am, so 9:45 is most likely fine. I have a flight that goes to Newark and departs at 10:55, but I transfer there for another 2 hour flight.

Diane in Music City

I spent a day in Barcelona post-cruise but arrived at BCN about 9:30 for a 1pm flight and had time for a bit of duty free shopping (had to get rid of those Euros!) and a light lunch. I will say though, the security prior to checking in for USAir was some of the most thorough I've ever been through. Two very nice gentlemen questioned every passenger - not families, but individual adults - for a good 5-6 minutes, prior to seeing a ticket agent. That was fine with me, but I was glad I allowed the extra time! Part of the reason for the intense security may be because I traveled about a week after the explosions at the Scottish airport, but I've spoken to others who had the same experience in Barcelona. I'm sure NCL will help you disembark early if you notify them ahead of time, but I would suggest a cab versus NCL transfer to save time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Liz

• 3 weeks later...

Because it costs sooooo much to return to LAX at 12noon ish. An 11am flight might be better.

Does NCL have a special deal for those of us who have an early flight? Cause the ship arrives at 5am..... I would love to catch an early flight.

Thanks.

We docked in Barcelona last year at 5 am. Delta kept changing our flight times so that what was once a noon flight was 10 am by the time we went. Anyway we did "self" disembark and arranged for a car/driver ahead of time so we wouldnt have to worry about taxis. We walked off the ship and were at the airport in the duty free shops with lots of time to spare. Just have a back up plan in case something goes horribly wrong and then stop worrying about it!

• 2 weeks later...
We docked in Barcelona last year at 5 am. Delta kept changing our flight times so that what was once a noon flight was 10 am by the time we went. Anyway we did "self" disembark and arranged for a car/driver ahead of time so we wouldnt have to worry about taxis. We walked off the ship and were at the airport in the duty free shops with lots of time to spare. Just have a back up plan in case something goes horribly wrong and then stop worrying about it!

So what do we need to do to arrange for a driver? We will probably be getting a 10am flight.

Do we talk to a taxi at the dock when we leave and say...? "Here is $20 USD...Can you be here at the Dock next Sunday at 7am?...Thanks."

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but...it better than trying to flag down a cab carrying 4 suitcases.

Archived