HH grades on Volendam

geologygeek

Hi there,

Some help please. We're thinking of booking an HH grade on the Volendam to Alaska in July, any hints about which ones to snag. We're worried about no light etc., but don't want a guarantee in case we get moved to FF etc. down in the dunnie. Choices are 3384 or 3430. Any ideas cruise-a-holics?

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob, If you can snag 3430 take it. I had it the last time I was on last month. It is a handicapped cabin, so it is larger than typical HH. All of the cabins on this deck you have to keep you drapes drawn at night - daytime is OK, but don't close the drapes at night and all the voyeurs on board will be standing outside your window! There's really no view, and once in a while someone will let the door slam, but your steps from being outside on deck.

Have a great trip! Regards, Richard

Richard, why should he grab a HANDICAPPED room if he does not require it???:eek: By doing so he is depriving a handicapped person from having the room. Just because it's larger is not a reason to book it. I can't believe that you are actually advocating this.:(

Geologygeek, the HH cabins all are nice in that they are steps away from the promenade, allowing fast easy access. You will get light in during the day but will not have a view of the ocean. And as mentioned, do ensure the drapes are closed at night when your lights are on.

Cheers,

Hi there,

Some help please. We're thinking of booking an HH grade on the Volendam to Alaska in July, any hints about which ones to snag. We're worried about no light etc., but don't want a guarantee in case we get moved to FF etc. down in the dunnie. Choices are 3384 or 3430. Any ideas cruise-a-holics?

Cheers,

Rob.

Just want to know what is the problem with FF. Someone said it is fine! :confused:

Dah, If they are offering him a handicapped cabin it must be because they don't need it for a handicapped person. If you are only two people should you not take a cabin with room for a third? I think HAL knows how to assign staterooms.

Regards, Richard

Actually, they don't. I doubt anyone can tell how many HC people will try to book a cabin next week!

On the other hand, since the cabin will be offered to the next inquirer (HC or not), the OP should probably take it with the proviso that they are willing to give it up should it be required for an HC person...

Should it be needed for someone with special needs who books next week, I'm sure you would be bumped up . . . maybe to an FF . . . oops! . . . but more likely to something definitely better. It amazes me how they eventually get everyone "tucked in" and 99% of the folks are happy . . . well, make that 97%.

Should it be needed for someone with special needs who books next week, I'm sure you would be bumped up...

As has been reported here numerous times over the past few years - no. No one has ever been asked to vacate, or been "bumped up" from, an HC. It's a very sore point with a number of CC regulars.

Shame on you, Richard! :mad:

How dare you condone an able bodied person "grab" a cabin specifically designed for a person in a wheelchair.

You should know the facts before you speak. Bumping able bodied people from a handicapped accessible cabin is a myth.

I tried to take a cruise to Alaska last Summer but was unable to because I couldn't find a HC cabin. I tried several different itineraries and cruise lines. I asked if they would check if any AB's were booked in the accessible cabins. One cruise line said there was no way of knowing. Once the room is booked it is out of the inventory. I was told by a different cruise line that even if they did know AB's were booked in HC cabins they wouldn't be able to tell me due to privacy issues. The bumping issue is truly a myth.

One day, Richard, you may be in a wheelchair and needing a handicapped assessable cabin to be able to cruise. Good luck to you.

What goes around comes around.

Helen

Helen, I think your issue is not with me, nor with able bodied people who are offered staterooms which happen to be designed also for handicapped use, but with the cruise line and inventory control management. I read a lot about people talking about the "upgrade fairy". Now we really don't think someone waltzes to their desk in Seattle, Starbuck's in hand, and sits down at their computer and says, "Who do I upgrade today since we are in the business of giving people more than what they paid for?" Upgrades are based on inventory control management. If you read the "Guests with Disabilities" section of the "Details" in the brochure, you will see that the cruise line does know whether the guest is "AB" or requires a specially equipped room. I'm sorry if the cruise lines in question were unable or chose not to work with you on your Alaska trip.

If I had special needs or required a certain type or room or stateroom location, I would make my reservation as soon as "the books are open" on a new season. The closer you are to sailing date the more unlikely you are to find what you want.

So, back to the OP, 3430 is a good room. The Geek asked about it, and I told him. If you have an issue with HAL's inventory control they are the folks to flame.

Regards, Richard

In principle I agree that the cruise line is somewhat at fault. Anyone can go through the online booking process and if its available, book a handicapped designated stateroom. At no point are you asked if you require the room because you are disabled. And I don't have a problem if someone gets "upgraded" after final booking to a HC room. The ship is going to try and fill every room if at all possible.

What we are saying is that it is morally wrong to advocate booking a HC room if you don't need it. Just because you somehow managed to "snag" that room and enjoyed the extra space, I would suspect that somewhere on board that cruise, was a disabled person in a standard room being very uncomfortable because there were no HC cabins available when they booked. Did the cruise line come knocking on your door asking you if you were disabled and if not to give up your room? Of course not. Did you go to the front desk and offer up your room to a disabled person that might need it? I doubt it.

Not everyone can plan a year or more in advance just to book a HC cabin. The cruise lines must start doing a better job of vetting who is booking HC cabins. They must start requiring some kind of documentation/statement that you need a HC cabin before allowing you to book it. I would think that most disabled people would gladly provide something like that in order to be able to book cabins closer to sailing times.

Unfortunately, until that happens able bodied people will continue to book these cabins for the perceived larger space, which sometimes comes from the missing sofa, table, chair etc. Personally, being the lazy person that I am and looking at the location of most HC cabins which tend to be either at the bow or stern of the ship, I would prefer a cabin more midships.

The bottom line is yes, you can book a HC cabin without being disabled. Yes, the cruise line is at fault for allowing it to happen. And an able bodied person purposely booking one or advocating booking one is morally wrong.

Cheers,

If I had special needs or required a certain type or room or stateroom location, I would make my reservation as soon as "the books are open" on a new season.

Wow! While I certainly can be said to believe in "political correctness" that's one of the most insensitive remarks I've seen here in a long time. Yes, the cruise lines should hold the cabins for HC people. Yes, the TA should notice this when booking. But, in the end, we are all responsible for our actions. We all need to think about the consequences of our actions. And we all need to be considerate of our fellow passengers.

What we are saying is that it is morally wrong to advocate booking a HC room if you don't need it.

Exactly!

Just because the cruise line lets you book a HC accessible cabin doesn't make it right!!!!!

Handicapped advocates have talked to the cruise lines until we are blue in the face. What they say and what they do are 2 different things. Yes it is partially the cruislines fault. We therefore try to educate able bodied cruisers to our plight.

Yes, Richard, I usually do book a year in advance. Even then sometimes HC cabins are booked up. I booked a cruise on December 1, 2007 for a cruise going out in October 2008. I got the last HC accessible cabin available. I had no choice of balcony, outside or suite. I had to take what they had, an inside. It was either that or not be able to cruise. Wheelchairs are not able to get thru the door of regular cabins, never mind maneuver around. Also please remember you have hundreds of regular cabins to choose from. Handicapped cruisers have only 20. Wheelchair cruisers must compete against, unscrupulous TA's, ignorant cruise agents, the cruise lines and able bodied cruisers to get the accommodations they need.

Geek, I realize when you posted you didn't realize you were opening a can of worms. Please don't listen to Richard. Do the RIGHT thing.

I don't see 3430 on the deck plans. I do see a 3433 HC cabin.

Anyway....DH and I have sailed in 3420. It was teriffic! Fully UNobstructed view! Quite a surprise. Of course you do look out across the promenade, but straight ahead was unobstructed. The steel bulkhead was to the left, to the right and straight ahead wide open. We were pleasantly surprised and would choose that cabin again. Such easy access to the promenade.

Enjoy! Kathy

If you follow the thread, which is the idea here, the OP was offered two cabins by HAL and asked opinions. The OP was not trying to scam the system for an accessible cabin, nor was I recommending such. Nor has anyone else that I can see in the thread been trying as a "able bodied" person to scam the system for an accessible cabin . . But a couple of you have chosen to climb up on a soapbox and jump all over to make your points. Most of us cruise because we enjoy it, and come to CC for the same purpose and to post if it is helpful and contributes.

"Ignorant travel agents", "you have no conscience or moral compass", "one of the most insensitive remarks", "you may be in a wheelchair and needing a handicapped assessable cabin to be able to cruise. Good luck to you. What goes around comes around", yada yada - I mean . . . really!

He asked about a specific cabin, which happened to be a handicapped cabin, which I happened to have had . . and BTW it was assigned to me when 4 hours before we sailed, I suspect because the orginally assigned occupant had canceled.

If you follow the thread, which is the idea here, the OP was offered two cabins by HAL and asked opinions. The OP was not trying to scam the system for an accessible cabin, nor was I recommending such. Nor has anyone else that I can see in the thread been trying as a "able bodied" person to scam the system for an accessible cabin . . But a couple of you have chosen to climb up on a soapbox and jump all over to make your points. Most of us cruise because we enjoy it, and come to CC for the same purpose and to post if it is helpful and contributes.

"Ignorant travel agents", "you have no conscience or moral compass", "one of the most insensitive remarks", "you may be in a wheelchair and needing a handicapped assessable cabin to be able to cruise. Good luck to you. What goes around comes around", yada yada - I mean . . . really!

He asked about a specific cabin, which happened to be a handicapped cabin, which I happened to have had . . and BTW it was assigned to me when 4 hours before we sailed, I suspect because the orginally assigned occupant had canceled.

Richard..

I think the reason many people are taking issue with your posts is because of the reason you are recommending the cabin "for more space". It's this kind of thinking that makes it so difficult for the disabled to book accessible cabins.

I am disabled but don't require an accessible cabin. I wouldn't book one just to have more space.

Being disabled is hard enough. Why should people who require an accessible cabin have to book it so far in advance? Many of us can't make vacation plans that far out.

On Celebrity Summit I was Upgraded from an outside cabin to a sky suite.

It was a regular outside cabin to a handicap suite. I did not know it was a handicap suite until I checked in since the upgrade was done at the pier.

The suite was the same size BUT the bathroom was huge.

I loved it !!!!! I assume that at check-in the cabin was unsold????

Like I said, I did not know it was an HC cabin until I entered.

Don't flame Richard because he answered the OP's question.

Rich :cool: :cool:

It is a handicapped cabin, so it is larger than typical HH.

Dave, THIS is what was said. It was a factual discription in answer to a specific question.

I wish you and everyone else in this discussion . . . which seems to have veered way off the OP . . . well.

Regards . . . Richard

Dave, THIS is what was said. It was a factual discription in answer to a specific question.

I wish you and everyone else in this discussion . . . which seems to have veered way off the OP . . . well.

Regards . . . Richard

I think it more likely that when you said "If you can snag 3430 take it," it irritated some people who felt you were suggesting that able-bodied people should snap up handicapped cabins simply because they were larger, with no consideration shown to any possible handicapped person who would then be denied a cruise...

Hi Fellow CCers,

Thanks for your info Richard (apologies that people seem to have taken your comments out of context, especially since you just echoed my language - the "snag" word, and seem to have been demonised for it).

When I rang HAL about available HH grades on an Alaskan departure, they gave me three options - an AB cabin that is under the galley and two HC cabins. I had no other choices. I fact for G grades only one cabin was free and it was a HC.

Whilst I appreciate everyone's view point I hope that in this case it's the cruise line that should be held accountable - they could have suggested that I apply for a "upgrade if available" given that this is one of the cheaper grades on board.

But, don't panic we've gone with a better grade of cabin (that won't involve a down-grade to an FF!). Lighten up people, Richard was just offering some help to a confused crusier, and if there are any people out there who require a HC cabin for Alaska there are at least three free on the Volendam sailing from Seward on 6th July!

Happy cruising and can we please close this thread now!

Cheers,

Rob.

Thank you for posting, Geek. I was wondering what you were thinking. Thank you for not booking a handicapped cabin. I commend you.

Really chaps my hide that HAL offered those HC cabins. It is so frustrating for those of us who are handicapped.

I for one don't want this thread closed. I believe it could help educate additional able bodied people to the difficulties handicapped people have obtaining accessible staterooms.

Helen

Archived