SF lodging near Alcatraz Ferry/Trolley System?

Chat Noir

San Francisco... looking for lodging with easy access to the Alcatraz ferry and the trolley. We will have a car but if possible we'd like to spend our day and a half in SF using the trolley system. Oh... and without spending any more of our kid's inheritance than we have to.

Our SF interests are marine/ship museums, Alcatraz, aquariums, Muir Woods... and anything else along those lines.:) Ideas?

There are several hotels at Fisherman's Wharf, which is it right by the Ferries to Alcatraz and the maritime museum. It's also the terminus of the trolly so you can get on here. The only disadvantage is that most of town is over the hill from you but it is a nice area to stay.

If you will have a car I will suggest one of the 3 'sister' inns. Cow Hollow and Chelsea are 2 I don't remember the last one. If you do a google search the websites are connected. They have free parking - which at other SF hotels will run $25-40 per day for hotel guests. They are not fancy - motel type accomodations. They are located in a great area of the city - a neighborhood with a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Busses and trolleys are steps away. The city itself is not very big - and public transport is great. They used to have 3 and 7 day city passes for the Muni and cable cars for about $9-15 per person (discounts to museums and other sites included).

If you don't mind paying up - stay on Union Square - there are several hotels. Parking will be expensive but the shopping is just steps away.

You will not be right at the Alcatraz ferry terminal but its not difficult to get there by bus or trolley. Get a transit map - try any Walgreens - many of the stops have how often each bus comes. You can get to the pier and take one of the old streetcars to the Alcatraz terminal. I always warn people - some of the busses (especially the China Town - Union Square routes) have problems with pickpockets. Use caution with your wallet, purse and back pack. The busses can get very very crowded making it easy pickings for bad people. Make sure you make reservations for your Alcatraz trip since it often sells out.

If you want something in the evening the Beach Blanket Babylon show in North Beach is fun. Or there is a halfprice same day ticket place in Union Square - if there is a show in town you want to see. The Ferry Plaza market has an interesting collection of vendors - and one of my favorite restaurants The Slanted Door - make reservations as soon as possible. There is Crustacean which has a sister in Beverly Hills - garlic noodles and crab are specilties. In SF the location is strange on Polk Street over a bagel shop.

If you are driving to Muir Woods that will take a lot of your time in the bay area. If you are there for the weekend see if there are any 'fairs'. They can be fun and a great way to see the diversity of the city. You can also take the ferry to Sausalito and have lunch.

I have lived most of my life near Los Angeles. DH and I spent a few years in San Francisco. It is such a great city but it was too expensive for us to stay.

Thank you for the replies!

I checked out the lodging mentioned and it won't even come up as available if we only book one night... too bad for us since any of the three seem to be right up our alley! My husband is so not a city person (we are ranchers) and I thought 'Cow Hollow' would be especially perfect, haha!

Thanks for the Walgreens tip. If they're on nearly every corner like they are here in the larger towns, one should be easy to find. Seattle public transit had us buffalo'd the first time we used it, so a map will be very helpful.

Also, thanks for the pick-pocket warning... that is a rarity here, and although I tend to be cautious away from home, we will take extra measures. Wrap my purse in gray tape, perhaps? :)

We were considering the evening Alcatraz tour. Is it worth spending the evening there? Or would the day tour suffice and our evening be better spent elsewhere? So many options, such limited time....

Hotels- Excuse me if they've already been suggested. either the Holiday In at fisherman's wharf or sheraton at fisherman's wharf are in the area you'd like to be and have good references.

aquarium- try the aquarium in golden gate park, good place to visit anyway.

If you have the time the Monterey Bay Aquarium is a half day outing 7 probably 3 hr drive.

ships- maritime There is a sailing ship & museum right near Ghirardelli Sq. also you might enjoy the Jeremiah OBrien (a restored WW2) Liberty Ship right near Fisherman's wharf. the Pampanito is a WW 2 sub that is very nearby also. if you care to go out to alameda across the Bay the WW2 aircraft carrier Hornet is a museum there. Lastly, if you are here on a sun the mothball fleet near martinez features the battleship Iowa & you can take boat tours around it.

I've done a private Alcatraz tour after dark & stayed overnight. the view of the city is pretty, but I'm not sure its worth the time. I'd recommend seeing Muir Woods, the forts on both sides of the Golden Gate and maybe coit tower instead.

Hope this helps have a great visit.

I would try calling the Cow Hollow Inns - and see if you can get in for one night. (PS the cows are long gone :) ). Also the Days Inn on Lombard and Van Ness used to have reasonable parking. I would call them and check their rates.

If you don't have a car you will have a much easier time finding reasonable lodging. If you want to see Muir Woods and you really don't need the car you could book a sight seeing trip to the Woods. Any touring or dining in the city is better on foot, on public transit or by taxi.

Thanks for adding to the thread!

Kinda figured the cows were long gone... :)

I am researching all the mentioned ideas, and appreciate the input!!! I have no doubt we'll definitely utilize more than one. We do want somewhat easy access to spend time by the water as we are very land-locked here. Glad to have a good starting point.

Almost any hotel/motel in the Fishermans Wharf/Ghiardelli Square area will give you what you are looking for - trolley line, one or two blocks to the bay and to the Alcatraz and other ferries. In December we stayed at a Radisson there on the same street as one trolley line and 3 blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. But as others have posted, there are also Sheraton, Hilton, Holiday Inn all within a few short blocks. The AAA rate at the Radisson with free parking was $136

Archived