How many of you fake bake?

ronkay

I have a major family history of cancer and have been afraid of tanning because of it. But, before our first cruise I asked my doctor what she thought about me doing it.

Her opinion was that I would be safer getting a base in a tanning bed instead of going and getting a major burn in the sun. After the first year dh decided he needed to go so he didn't look so scary!

So, we go slowly for about 6 weeks before our cruises to get a good base tan. Oops, our 6 weeks is here so better get started!!!

I so agree lol! We now have what they call the quick beds. 12 min. tops.

The old ones I had to stay in for 20 looooong minutes:eek:

Never never do I tan the face. Girls keep it covered;)

Ditto. 12 minutes is my absolute threshold of pain. I cannot do it any longer than that or I will go insane. I've done 8 the past two days on the quicker beds and I'll do that again tonight. THAT is long enough!! I just can't relax.

I have a grilfriend who loves it -- she says she falls asleep in the bed. I can't understand how! I'm so worried I'm going to burn my eyes if I accidently open them (and the last thing I need is MORE eye problems) that I can't stand it! That or that I'll fall asleep and the bed won't shut off and I'll get out as red as a stop sign!

Yes, I'm slightly paranoid, LOL.

My sister and mother have both had skin cancers removed so I'm not willing to risk a tanning bed. I've always used Mary Kay's product and wash my hands afterwards or my hands and in between the fingers do turn orange. I usually start a few days before we leave, but we don't sit out in the sun long either because of their skin cancer.

As posted in one of the threads this story is not true. LOL go to snopes.com and type in "girl dies from using tanning bed" any email stories should always be checked before sending them on or repeating them. I always tan before we cruise and that thread all but gave me a stroke.

You don't need to go to a tanning bed and bake yourself to a crisp but it does help if you have a little color before hitting the deck or beach on the cruise.

I just love cruise critic but some times I get really irrated when there are answers to questions that either are sarcastic, mean, nasty, or not true just because some one doesn't like what they are reading.

There is no dumb question or wrong/bad review..........that is what this board was meant for.... to help fellow cruisers out.

I used to go tanning before dances in high school and before the beach for a base tan,i.e. a very limited amount of times. I thought that was safe because I burn very quickly and when out in the real sun always wear and reapply sunscreen. Well, I was wrong over the last 2 months I've had two surgeries to remove precancerous cells from an area that was was only exposed to UVA in a tanning bed. My dermotologist said she sees so many cases of this in people who use tanning beds. I found a product from Avon that works great to give you full body color, no orange tint.

I am surprised to some places let people go for so long. Most places here in MA have a 15 minute limit and you MUST wear eye protection!! They have a timer outside the door that maxes out at 15 minutes plus a timer in the booth so you can see how much time you have and an emergency shut off switch inside. You should always start slow so you don't burn. I am very pale and fair skinned/freckles the whole deal so I start with 5 minutes and gradually increase. If you get a little pink then do less time on your next visit.

I can think of better ways to die than a slow agonizing death from skin cancer. Needless to say, I too, will be the ghostly looking person sitting in the shade while the "bronze beauties" will be baking. Another reason I choose not to use tanning beds is because I don't want to look 75 when I am nowhere near that age.

Yeah, tanning beds are real bake :p (anything that can actually bake you or cause cancer, to me, is real bake :p) I use the lotions now, the higher end lotions and I really enjoy them. Now that I am approaching my upper 30's, I try to stay out of the sun as much as possible... there are many "fake bake" products out there that do not leave you streaked and orange... but still give you really nice color. Then I just pile on the sunscreen anytime I'm out in the sun.

I do the same thing. The sunless tanning lotion I've been using leaves me with a healthy glow so I'm not as pasty. Not exactly tan, just glowing.

I don't mess with the sun as I'm not a fan of wrinkles and skin cancer. I had a pre cancerous mole removed- NOT FUN!

Here's my take on it...and yes, I have been tanning in a salon for 5 weeks now, with 3 more weeks to go before my cruise next month...

I live in North Dakota. In the wintertime (which lasts from October-April), there is *no way* I can get any sun on my body from natural sources (i.e., working in the yard, hanging out at the lake, etc.). It's just too cold and miserable, and my skin turns a ghastly shade of white because of it.

If I go directly from North Dakota to the Caribbean in the wintertime, my white skin (even with large amounts of sunscreen) will turn lobster-red, I'll be miserable, and my vacation will be "ruined." Not to mention the fact that the burn (sometimes with blisters) likely causes a lot of skin damage.

Now, that said, if I go to the tanning salon first for a base tan (not too dark or creepy), I can enjoy the Caribbean sun in moderate amounts (still with suncreen) without burning my body. I have a hard time believing that a controlled rate of gradual tanning in limited amounts is more harmful than a week's worth of sunburned skin. I did go to the dermatologist last year for a checkup (because I'm paranoid), and she said that I have no signs of anything harmful on my skin.

Oh, and the lotions or the Mystic Tan/airbrush tanning...while they look nice and have no risk of UV exposure, they do *not* protect you from sunburning once out in the real sun.

My wife manages a 26 bed taning salon and there is a was a myth about burning and dying . My doctoer said tanning beds are better than get a few sun burns in your life.slow tan is the word dont try to get dark inone month.in fact most salons wiil advesis you not to go max amount of time for a least 5 weeks. we have a freind who never gets sun or tanning bed and has skin cancer.

Oh, and the lotions or the Mystic Tan/airbrush tanning...while they look nice and have no risk of UV exposure, they do *not* protect you from sunburning once out in the real sun.

Very true... but I would hope everyone would use a high grade of sunscreen regardless of if they have tanned or not. I don't leave the house without sunscreen on my face, or anywhere that will be exposed... sunny day or not.

I can think of better ways to die than a slow agonizing death from skin cancer. Needless to say, I too, will be the ghostly looking person sitting in the shade while the "bronze beauties" will be baking. Another reason I choose not to use tanning beds is because I don't want to look 75 when I am nowhere near that age.

I use to go to tanning booths before I went on a cruise, but I'm now watching my boss suffer from stage three melanoma skin cancer. He spent a lot of time out in the sun with no protection. That certainly was a reality check. Never again for me.

I am the OP and spend a lot of time in the sun through out the year, fish for a living. But agree with the above post, I do not leave the house or my cabin in the morning with out sunscreen on my face, usually faces 25 or 30. when I fish I usually wear longsleeve wic shirts or longsleeve columbia captains shirt.

Last year I did the spray tan. Never again. The back of my legs didn't look quite right because of my fat pockets so it look liked a line in certain areas. Then that evening I decided to get my eyebrows waxed. BIG MISTAKE!! I had a white area from the area I had waxed. I was so self consious, had to put on makeup to cover up the white spots. Well what can I say, never tried spray tanning before.

Any doctor that recommends or says that tanning beds are safer, needs his/her head checked :rolleyes: Not to mention that the beds increase your risk of non malignant skin cancers and are proven to age your skin more rapidly... just seems irresponsible. A DOCTOR should recommend things that are good for you... like sunscreen and avoidance of overexposure. People burn in tanning beds too... If you are going to use a tanning bed, you should probably go with a high pressure bed that filters out much of the UVB light (and they are quicker too)

Then that evening I decided to get my eyebrows waxed. BIG MISTAKE!! I had a white area from the area I had waxed. I was so self consious, had to put on makeup to cover up the white spots. Well what can I say, never tried spray tanning before.

I'm sorry but that made me laugh:D

But I do agree with you some of those spray tans look horrible. I can spot some of them a mile away while on a cruise..........

Chasholly - that was about one of the funniest things I have read in a long time and boy do I understand. I used to do the awkward stretch in that darn booth before I lost 70 pounds.

I am going now to the tanning salon to get my "bake" on so I can truly enjoy my screw the ex husband I look good, first cruise (sailing March 17!!!) Whoo Hoo!

Last year I did the spray tan. Never again. The back of my legs didn't look quite right because of my fat pockets so it look liked a line in certain areas. Then that evening I decided to get my eyebrows waxed. BIG MISTAKE!! I had a white area from the area I had waxed. I was so self consious, had to put on makeup to cover up the white spots. Well what can I say, never tried spray tanning before.

LOL! That sounds like my first experience!! I now get my brows threaded first :p If you want to try some good brands of the self tanners, try St Tropez, Fake Bake, Peter Thomas Roth, or California North Titanium... some of these are quite pricey but they produce great results... I've added to my collection over the years, any time I hear someone in hollywood recommend one, I try it :p LOL I always have the St Tropez and California North handy!!! If you do the spray tan, try to find someone that does the airbrushing...

Archived