Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Karen much thanks for all your help. We are back from our Alaska cruise and it worked out woderful in Seattle. THe Sheraton downtown was geat! The airporter was also a geat mode of transportation! Thanks for all your tips!!!

BTW I fell in love with your City. You see we are a bit flat here in Florida so viewing the mountains and hills with a little cool weather was AWESOME!

We are flying into SEATAC next week (June 18th). The next day we drive to Vancouver for our cruise. I have a couple of questions and I ask forgivness if they have been asked already.

(We are staying in the Camlin timeshare downtown)

1. I hear DT Seattole has a fantastic Nordstroms Rack is this still true?

2. We are considering the Duck Tour I hear it is great

3. There is a Utilikilts store in downtown Seattle?

4. IS it worth going to see the Mariners play?

5. Any suggestions for additional sightseeing?

6. Can you recommend a restaurant or even points of interest on the drive to Vancouver?

Sory about all the questions, and thanks in advance for your guidance.

1. The Rack is not what it used to be since they have discontinued so many women's sizes and other merchandise that they used to carry, but you may find some things you want there at good prices.

2. Yes

3. It is in Pioneer Square at 620 1st Av at 1st and Cherry.

4. Don't ask me, I'm mad at them. They do, however, have their moments.

5. The Market, of course. The Underground Tour. The Olympic Sculpture Park. Lots of others, but you don't have a whole lot of time.

6. It's going to take you anywhere from 5-8 hours to get from Seattle into Vancouver, depending on the wait at the border now that the crossings are closed down partially through 2010. Unless you are leaving at 2 am, you probably won't have much time to stop and spend anywhere if you are sailing the same day you are driving up. This is a nice restaurant in Mukilteo, but it is a sit down restaurant and may take more time than you have:

http://www.ivars.net/Mukilteo_Home/mukilteo.html

You may just want to consider the drive through thing and keep moving so that you don't miss your boarding time.

Karen much thanks for all your help. We are back from our Alaska cruise and it worked out woderful in Seattle. THe Sheraton downtown was geat! The airporter was also a geat mode of transportation! Thanks for all your tips!!!

BTW I fell in love with your City. You see we are a bit flat here in Florida so viewing the mountains and hills with a little cool weather was AWESOME!

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Come back and visit again sometime when you can spend a while. You might find you enjoy it even more!!

Karen,

First thank you for the responses. I am not a real sports fan, but I like the spevticle of large events. I have heard about the underground tour and may check it out.

We are leaving the next day for Vancouver, but we will have an extra day (catching the Cirque show in Vancouver that night) so the resturant you suggested may be just the ticket...

8 hours to Vancouver? WOW!

Thank you again...greatly appreciated!

Karen,

First thank you for the responses. I am not a real sports fan, but I like the spevticle of large events. I have heard about the underground tour and may check it out.

We are leaving the next day for Vancouver, but we will have an extra day (catching the Cirque show in Vancouver that night) so the resturant you suggested may be just the ticket...

8 hours to Vancouver? WOW!

Thank you again...greatly appreciated!

Bill: If you enjoy the spectacle, it will be just fine for you. If you are a baseball purist, you won't see too much of that this year....they just are not doing well at all.

Hope for five hours, but expect eight, since it is a weekend.

You're more than welcome.

What is the best way to get to the zoo? We will be staying at the Silver Cloud Stadium and they have a shuttle into downtown, not sure exactly where it stops. I assume that they is a city bus that goes there?

What is the best way to get to the zoo? We will be staying at the Silver Cloud Stadium and they have a shuttle into downtown, not sure exactly where it stops. I assume that they is a city bus that goes there?

From the hotel, go out in front to the bus stop on 1st Av and catch either a 15 or 18 bus and take it to 1st & Pike. Get off there and walk up to 3rd & Pine in front of Macy's (on 3re Av side) and take a number 5 bus, which will take you right to the zoo. Reverse for the trip home (though the buses on 1st Av will then be the 21, 22, or 56 (but don't take a 56 Express, take local only or a 57).

Karen,

In 13 days we will be boarding the Golden. I made arrangements to get to the Renaissance Hotel from the airport. But what about the following morning? I thinking a taxi but what time should we start trying to get one? If not a taxi then what? There are 3 of us and I am assuming 2 bags per.

Thanks.

Karen,

In 13 days we will be boarding the Golden. I made arrangements to get to the Renaissance Hotel from the airport. But what about the following morning? I thinking a taxi but what time should we start trying to get one? If not a taxi then what? There are 3 of us and I am assuming 2 bags per.

Thanks.

You might have to hold something on your lap, like the carry ons, but you should all fit into one of the regular sized cabs (but you won't into one of the hybrids). The lines start getting pretty horrendous at about 11:00 and hang on that way til nearly 2:00, so you might want to think that earlier is better.

Ha, ha! Had you beat by two weeks. Have you packed yet? I'm just waiting for the 30th so that I can print my boarding pass and look for my pre-cruise docs.

No sistah...have not packed yet. But I did pack up my winter clothes when I rearranged my closet and I packed one box with things for the trip..so I guess that sort of counts. I too have am just waiting. I love getting the documents and luggage tags in the mail. That means it is all real!

No sistah...have not packed yet. But I did pack up my winter clothes when I rearranged my closet and I packed one box with things for the trip..so I guess that sort of counts. I too have am just waiting. I love getting the documents and luggage tags in the mail. That means it is all real!

I'm hoping this last 90 days just speeds by, then time slows down to a crawl, so that we get the max benefit from the time away. I had a massive allergic reaction yesterday (probably because my immune system is down for the count from the mono). I just want to get out in the middle of the water........:D I'm going to the storage locker tomorrow, just to make sure I know where the suitcases and carry-ons are. I won't bring them home til we move to our new apartment after the first.

SeattleCruiseLover - I just found this sight and I thank you for posting. These questions may have already been asked but there are 48 or 49 pages and I keep getting lost in the answers. Anyway... :D

Question 1 : My mom and I are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora Ave and was wondering what the best transportation to the hotel was. Express Shuttle of Taxi?

Question 2: How long will it take to get to the airport from the cruise ship terminal, and what is the best transportation?

Question 3: My mom cannot walk long distances, what can we do for the last part of the afternoon and early evening when we get to Seattle and what kind of transport should we take?

I told you these are probably questions already asked hopefuuly you have stock answers that can be copied and pasted. Again, I thank you for all your answers and the time you take to do this. :)

SeattleCruiseLover - I just found this sight and I thank you for posting. These questions may have already been asked but there are 48 or 49 pages and I keep getting lost in the answers. Anyway... :D

Question 1 : My mom and I are staying at the Holiday Inn Express on Aurora Ave and was wondering what the best transportation to the hotel was. Express Shuttle of Taxi?

Question 2: How long will it take to get to the airport from the cruise ship terminal, and what is the best transportation?

Question 3: My mom cannot walk long distances, what can we do for the last part of the afternoon and early evening when we get to Seattle and what kind of transport should we take?

I told you these are probably questions already asked hopefuuly you have stock answers that can be copied and pasted. Again, I thank you for all your answers and the time you take to do this. :)

1. Gray Line Airporter with Connector Service goes directly there, and is much more economical than either of those other choices

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

2. Depends on the traffic. If there is a home game at Safeco Field on the day you are disembarking, it could add 30-45 or more minutes to your trip. Average from Terminal 30 to the airport should be an hour or a bit less at midday, more in the later afternoon or evening. SInce you are sailing on RCI, you cannot take the cruise express from Terminal 30 to the airport (it is reserved strictly for HAL and Princess). Taxi likely your best bet there....cost about $40.00 for two plus tip as appropriatel

3. Depends on what you are interested in. You are about 1-1.5 miles from Seattle Center...Space Needle, Duck Tour, EMP/SciFi museum. You are about 2 miles from the Market, but they close at 6 during the week and 5 on the weekend. Underground Tour in Pioneer Square is about 5 miles away. Most are accessible by bus from Dexter Av, but you will have to go downtown and change buses for all but the Seattle Center attractions. For those you can walk out to the corner of Dexter and Denny and catch the number 8 bus (on the Denny side of the park (northeast corner) and get off at 5th and Broad (two stops from Dexter and Denny) and walk the rest of the way (about two blocks).

Returned Saturday from a 7-day Alaskan roundtrip from Seattle and thought I'd share some of our experiences:

1. Stayed at the Seattle Sheraton pre-cruise. It was a very convenient and the rooms were great. Also had breakfast in the on-site restaurant, the Daily Grill, and enjoyed it.

2. We had made reservations with Airport Direct Shuttle (206-378-5888) for a package deal that was to include transportation from SeaTac to the Sheraton on Friday/Sheraton to the ship on Saturday morning/ship to SeaTac the following Saturday. The pick-up at the airport on arrival went well, but, although we had called MANY times, we were never able to get them to pick us up on Saturday morning. One of their vans arrived empty at the Sheraton at the time our pick-up was scheduled but the driver insisted that he was there to pick-up someone else and, after he had parked right next to us for +/-15 minutes, left empty!!! A bell-hop at the Sheraton recommended another service who charged the same fee and was there to pick us up in about 10 minutes. Needless to say, we cancelled the rest of the service with Airport Direct Shuttle.

3.If we had it to do again we would just use the shuttles/SUVs that were readily available at the port to get to SeaTac following the cruise. The prices they were quoting were the same as those we found when making reservations ahead of time and they were there waiting with their doors open to load you up.

4. We had good weather. Had some rain in Seattle but we also saw the sun there! Had good weather in Juneau, Hubbard Bay Glacier and Sitka but - as expected - a mixture of rain and clouds in Ketchikan.

Returned Saturday from a 7-day Alaskan roundtrip from Seattle and thought I'd share some of our experiences:

1. Stayed at the Seattle Sheraton pre-cruise. It was a very convenient and the rooms were great. Also had breakfast in the on-site restaurant, the Daily Grill, and enjoyed it.

2. We had made reservations with Airport Direct Shuttle (206-378-5888) for a package deal that was to include transportation from SeaTac to the Sheraton on Friday/Sheraton to the ship on Saturday morning/ship to SeaTac the following Saturday. The pick-up at the airport on arrival went well, but, although we had called MANY times, we were never able to get them to pick us up on Saturday morning. One of their vans arrived empty at the Sheraton at the time our pick-up was scheduled but the driver insisted that he was there to pick-up someone else and, after he had parked right next to us for +/-15 minutes, left empty!!! A bell-hop at the Sheraton recommended another service who charged the same fee and was there to pick us up in about 10 minutes. Needless to say, we cancelled the rest of the service with Airport Direct Shuttle.

3.If we had it to do again we would just use the shuttles/SUVs that were readily available at the port to get to SeaTac following the cruise. The prices they were quoting were the same as those we found when making reservations ahead of time and they were there waiting with their doors open to load you up.

4. We had good weather. Had some rain in Seattle but we also saw the sun there! Had good weather in Juneau, Hubbard Bay Glacier and Sitka but - as expected - a mixture of rain and clouds in Ketchikan.

We had some pretty bad weather while you were gone, but it's gorgeous today. Thanks for bringing it back with you from Alaska!!

I want to thank you for all your information - we too just got back from Oosterdam as did Clear-Lake cruiser.

We stayed at the Doubletree at Sea/Tac on a pre-cruise package which included the bus to the Docks. - It worked out extreemly well and was at HAL well before they were ready to board us. But by being early we were able to get seats in the waiting area. If you came later you stood up for awhile. Once they opened the doors we were on in 10 min.

Upon return to Seattle - the lines at Thrifty were long and took 1/2 hr to just get to the counter - then another line to get the shuttle - I would suggest that people get a cab to another car rental place downtown as you will save over an hour or more of your time.

We stayed 2 nights at the Springhill Suites - nice rooms plus great breakfast (free) each morning.

Yes we went to the top of the Sky Needle - Not very scary and had a great view of everything. We also enjoyed the Muise Experience Project.

Pike Place was very crouded and it is very touristy - Yes I know we were tourist too. Only stayed about 45 min walking around.

Had a great dinner at McCormick & Schmidt on Lake Union - Very good and nice views of the lake.

I took a towncar booked by the hotel back to Sea/Tac - yes expensive but I could book it where as taxi was not reliable at showing up. Cost $35

Thanks again for your info - it really helped.

Francine

First, I'd like to say you should change your name to "Queen of Seattle"!!

I'm sorry if you answered something like this ready ... I tried to read most of this post, but I might have missed it!!

Question: We will be coming back from a RT on the Star, July 13th. We get off the boat EARLY and our flight is at 8:30pm!! Travel agent's idea of a joke?? Anyway ...

We love Seattle and don't mind the extra day ... but bags and transportation might weigh us down!

We don't mind a little walk (two or so miles), but not with bags!!

I was thinking about doing the Double Decker bus, that way we can hop on and off.

BUT, I'm having issues with the logistics. Any ideas??

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

Hi:) I think 35.00 for a Towncar from the pier to the airport

is a FANTASTIC PRICE:D....not expensive at all!:D

$35 for a town car in Seattle? Can you get that price from SeaTac to a hotel downtown? If so, I'm in for the booking. do tell us more.

Dianne

Gwynn & I plan to eat at Pike Brewery in Seattle. We land in Seattle late morning and figure it will be about 1 p.m. or so before we are ready to go eat.

Brewery has about the best Rueben sandwich we've ever eaten -- coast to coast --- and I can't wait to sink my teeth into another one.

Let us know what your plans are for your day in Seattle and we can exchange cell phone numbers.

We really want to meet up with you and our paths crossing in Seattle gives us a great opportunity.

Dianne

I want to thank you for all your information - we too just got back from Oosterdam as did Clear-Lake cruiser.

We stayed at the Doubletree at Sea/Tac on a pre-cruise package which included the bus to the Docks. - It worked out extreemly well and was at HAL well before they were ready to board us. But by being early we were able to get seats in the waiting area. If you came later you stood up for awhile. Once they opened the doors we were on in 10 min.

Upon return to Seattle - the lines at Thrifty were long and took 1/2 hr to just get to the counter - then another line to get the shuttle - I would suggest that people get a cab to another car rental place downtown as you will save over an hour or more of your time.

We stayed 2 nights at the Springhill Suites - nice rooms plus great breakfast (free) each morning.

Yes we went to the top of the Sky Needle - Not very scary and had a great view of everything. We also enjoyed the Muise Experience Project.

Pike Place was very crouded and it is very touristy - Yes I know we were tourist too. Only stayed about 45 min walking around.

Had a great dinner at McCormick & Schmidt on Lake Union - Very good and nice views of the lake.

I took a towncar booked by the hotel back to Sea/Tac - yes expensive but I could book it where as taxi was not reliable at showing up. Cost $35

Thanks again for your info - it really helped.

Francine

Francine: Glad that you enjoyed your trip. come back again some day when you can spend a bit more time...

First, I'd like to say you should change your name to "Queen of Seattle"!!

I'm sorry if you answered something like this ready ... I tried to read most of this post, but I might have missed it!!

Question: We will be coming back from a RT on the Star, July 13th. We get off the boat EARLY and our flight is at 8:30pm!! Travel agent's idea of a joke?? Anyway ...

We love Seattle and don't mind the extra day ... but bags and transportation might weigh us down!

We don't mind a little walk (two or so miles), but not with bags!!

I was thinking about doing the Double Decker bus, that way we can hop on and off.

BUT, I'm having issues with the logistics. Any ideas??

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

You can leave your bags with the concierge at Terminal 30 for a fee of $3.00 per until between 2:00 and 2:30 pm. The closest places to catch the hop on/hop off bus would be in Pioneer Square. Probably too far to walk, even without bags, but you could walk up to 1st Av, head northbound on a 21, 22, 56 or 57 bus and get off at First and Yesler and catch the HOHO bus there, and return there when done, then cross the street and reverse course back to 1st and Lander to get back to Terminal 30.

http://www.graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mode/detail/product_id/1319

t30map.jpg

1st Av is between the 99 and 4th Av on this Map. Walk East (probably best on Lander) to get there and the bus stops on the southeast corner of 1st and Lander.

Queen of Seattle, eh? Do you think they would give me the title and let me retire, and just pay me to do this? (Yeah, right. Honorary title only). Thanks for the sentiment, though.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

I wish the bag check were there later ... we don't need to be to the airport until 6:30.

I thought about going to the airport and dropping them and then taking the bus back to downtown.

I personally vote for putting you on salary!! A nice tierra and maybe a wand, too, lol!

Can't wait to be there!!

Archived