Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Karen, I think if you put a resume into the City Conceirge

Service with ALL OF US as references then it would be

a no brainer for them to hire you:D :) :D

Seriously.....if they knew how wonderful you are about

continually helping folks here, on a website, then you would

be the perfect person to do it live and in person too:)

Karen,

Are there any hotels in the downtown area that do have complimentry shuttle service from the airport to the hotel?

You have me convienced that we need to get to Seattle a day ahead of the cruise.

thanks,

CArole

Karen,

Are there any hotels in the downtown area that do have complimentry shuttle service from the airport to the hotel?

You have me convienced that we need to get to Seattle a day ahead of the cruise.

thanks,

CArole

Nope, most shuttles only run about a 3 mile radius, and it is five times (plus) that from SEA-Tac to downtown. This is the next best thing:

http://www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

Thanks so much for your offer and I truly need help! Even though I have cruised numerous times to the Caribbean, I've never done a west coast departure. We are flying in 2 days prior to our cruise on 8/8 and staying at the Westin. I need the best and most economical advise for transportation from the airport, from the hotel to the port, the port back to the hotel (staying overnight before leaving for home), and back to the airport. We have 3 days to tour Seattle which we are really looking forward to and would appreciate any tips on what to see, where to eat, etc. Thanks for the wisdom!

Thanks so much for your offer and I truly need help! Even though I have cruised numerous times to the Caribbean, I've never done a west coast departure. We are flying in 2 days prior to our cruise on 8/8 and staying at the Westin. I need the best and most economical advise for transportation from the airport, from the hotel to the port, the port back to the hotel (staying overnight before leaving for home), and back to the airport. We have 3 days to tour Seattle which we are really looking forward to and would appreciate any tips on what to see, where to eat, etc. Thanks for the wisdom!

Since you are staying at the Westin, I would use the Airporter to and from the airport:

You didn't say whether you are leaving from Pier 66 (NCL, X) or Terminal 30 (RCI, HAL, Princess), but a taxi would be best bet for either of those. If you are sailing on Princess, they have a rep in the lobby on sailing days if you have any questions, problems, needs cruise wise.

Tell me a bit about your interests and your food likes/dislikes, and I will add some suggestions for you.

Forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere but the search feature is down.....we're thinking of staying at the Best Western Executive by the Space Needle. Is this a safe area to walk around in? Is there a place close by to buy wine or soda? About how much would a taxi be to Terminal 30? We'll be in town August 29-30. Is there anything going on that would make traffic worse than usual or make it hard to get a taxi? Your help on this site has been awesome-just think how rich you'd be if you got paid for every answer! Thanks a million!

Forgive me if you've answered this elsewhere but the search feature is down.....we're thinking of staying at the Best Western Executive by the Space Needle. Is this a safe area to walk around in? Is there a place close by to buy wine or soda? About how much would a taxi be to Terminal 30? We'll be in town August 29-30. Is there anything going on that would make traffic worse than usual or make it hard to get a taxi? Your help on this site has been awesome-just think how rich you'd be if you got paid for every answer! Thanks a million!

It is fine during the day. Be observant at night and/or travel as a group. (Don't be paranoid, just keep your eyes and ears open, as in any large city, is all). There is a 7-11 at the corner of 5th & Broad, which is about 5 blocks away from that property. Taxi to Terminal 30 about $15.00 plus tip for two pax.

Since that is Labor Day Weekend, Bumbershoot will be going on. Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is) will have 10's of thousands of people crammed into its 74 acres from Friday afternoon til Monday night.....busy, busy, busy and loud, loud, loud (music). Taxis may be an issue, as will be every other type of transportation in town....:(

http://www.bumbershoot.org/

Since that is Labor Day Weekend, Bumbershoot will be going on. Seattle Center (where the Space Needle is) will have 10's of thousands of people crammed into its 74 acres from Friday afternoon til Monday night.....busy, busy, busy and loud, loud, loud (music). Taxis may be an issue, as will be every other type of transportation in town....:(

I think Bumbershoot now starts on Saturday instead of Friday PM.

Figure upwards of 50,000 people per day. If you're sailing on the 31st, I'd probably book a taxi as soon as you get to the hotel, unless they offer some sort of shuttle service.

Since you are staying at the Westin, I would use the Airporter to and from the airport:

You didn't say whether you are leaving from Pier 66 (NCL, X) or Terminal 30 (RCI, HAL, Princess), but a taxi would be best bet for either of those. If you are sailing on Princess, they have a rep in the lobby on sailing days if you have any questions, problems, needs cruise wise.

Karen,

Which lobby are you referring to concerning the Princess Rep? We are also staying at Westin going on Golden Princess.

Also saw your response to Elzapato about the Bumbershoot festival, we are on the same cruise and in town at the same time, Aug 29th & 30th. I think we will be avoiding the space needle area! I was thinking more of the Smith Tower anyway. Do you think everything will be crowded on Friday since the festival starts on Saturday? I had hoped to do a few hours at Pikes Place market on Saturday before getting on the ship, but might just head straight there.

It is fine during the day. Be observant at night and/or travel as a group. (Don't be paranoid, just keep your eyes and ears open, as in any large city, is all). There is a 7-11 at the corner of 5th & Broad, which is about 5 blocks away from that property. Taxi to Terminal 30 about $15.00 plus tip for two pax.

Karen-Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up. I think we'll try to stay closer to the boat!:eek:

Karen,

Which lobby are you referring to concerning the Princess Rep? We are also staying at Westin going on Golden Princess.

Also saw your response to Elzapato about the Bumbershoot festival, we are on the same cruise and in town at the same time, Aug 29th & 30th. I think we will be avoiding the space needle area! I was thinking more of the Smith Tower anyway. Do you think everything will be crowded on Friday since the festival starts on Saturday? I had hoped to do a few hours at Pikes Place market on Saturday before getting on the ship, but might just head straight there.

I didn't realize that they had cut the festival by a day this year, but appears that they have. Seattle Center will still be bustling and booming with set up from about 10 days ahead of time, as they bring in the portables, 18 wheelers and such, and start blocking off the lawns and other facilities.

The Princess Rep is in the lobby near the cafe on the north end of the building, on the first floor. She is there all day Saturday and Sunday.

I didn't realize that they had cut the festival by a day this year, but appears that they have. Seattle Center will still be bustling and booming with set up from about 10 days ahead of time, as they bring in the portables, 18 wheelers and such, and start blocking off the lawns and other facilities.

The Princess Rep is in the lobby near the cafe on the north end of the building, on the first floor. She is there all day Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks, originally I wasn't sure if you meant a lobby in the Westin or somewhere else. (Sorry, it's been a long day.)

Karen,

In your expert opinion would it be better for us to stay at the Sheraton or the Best Western Pioneer Square? In terms of getting to the ship on Saturday morning is one hotel easier to get a cab then another. Or if you have any other hotel choices. I would like to stay under $200. I am worried that because the Sheraton is so big the cab lines will be long.

Thanks,

Carole

You have convinced us to come up a day ahead. We want to see the market and do the underground tour. So we want a hotel near both.

Karen, I wanted your take on the Best Western Pioneer Square also. Since we're arriving the weekend of Bumbershoot I'm starting to get paranoid about getting a cab to Terminal 30. I've heard mixed things about the BW at Pioneer Square. What's your take on it-we'll be so jet-lagged we won't be out at night but do want to pick up some wine/soda and go out to eat. We'll be traveling with my 80+ year young parents. Are there any good restaurants and a grocery store nearby? Is a cab from the airport our best bet for four people? Thanks for all of your help. You deserve a medal for all the time you put into this site!

Karen,

In your expert opinion would it be better for us to stay at the Sheraton or the Best Western Pioneer Square? In terms of getting to the ship on Saturday morning is one hotel easier to get a cab then another. Or if you have any other hotel choices. I would like to stay under $200. I am worried that because the Sheraton is so big the cab lines will be long.

Thanks,

Carole

You have convinced us to come up a day ahead. We want to see the market and do the underground tour. So we want a hotel near both.

Carole: In terms of ease of getting a cab, it really should be "six of one, half dozen of the other" from either of those properties. There is also the Silver Cloud Inn Stadium, which is about one mile closer to Terminal 30 than the Best Western, and I believe that their shuttle will also take you to Terminal 30 if you make arrangements in advance, since it is well within the usual 3 mile radius from the property.

The Market is downtown, nearer to the Sheraton. The Underground Tour is right across the street, katerkorner, from the BW (and is about 1 mile from the Silver Cloud).

Karen, I wanted your take on the Best Western Pioneer Square also. Since we're arriving the weekend of Bumbershoot I'm starting to get paranoid about getting a cab to Terminal 30. I've heard mixed things about the BW at Pioneer Square. What's your take on it-we'll be so jet-lagged we won't be out at night but do want to pick up some wine/soda and go out to eat. We'll be traveling with my 80+ year young parents. Are there any good restaurants and a grocery store nearby? Is a cab from the airport our best bet for four people? Thanks for all of your help. You deserve a medal for all the time you put into this site!

The BW is within about two miles of Terminal 30, and the taxis will be going by there all day, to and from the Terminal. If you call one early enough with a preferred set time for pick up (or have the front desk do it for you), it should be relatively easy to accomplish. If they send you one of the traditional sedan type cabs, it should not be too much of a problem squeezing four people in, because you aren't going too far. If they send one of the hybrids, though, someone is gonna have to get "awfully friendly" with someone else, because they are considerably smaller.

Wine and soda are going to be an issue there, though, as there are no convenience or grocery type stores anywhere near Pioneer Square.

I seriously would take the Airporter and the Connector to get to the BW, though, you'll be a lot more comfortable for that 20 mile ride.

www.graylineseattle.com/airportexpress1.cfm

At the BW, you will be within 1-1.5 miles of all of the great waterfront restaurants, and can take the Waterfront Street Car to get there and back:

http://transit.metrokc.gov/tops/bus/schedules/s099_0_.html

It stops right out on the same block as the BW, and it is free.

As an optiion for the wine and sodas, if you are a member of Costco, it is about a 2.5 mile taxi ride to the Costco on 4th Av South, and you could take care of those needs there....

Here is a downloadable map of Pioneer Square:

http://www.pioneersquare.org/images_map/PSq_map07.pdf

You can see it in larger detail, and interactive, on their website:

http://www.pioneersquare.org

Karen,

I am just so happy to see this thread! Thank you for all of this information - I skimmed most of it after the first few pages so I apologize if this is a repeated question...

I am staying at the Hilton (downtown, on 6th Avenue) because we have points... and I am also lucky enough to have my brother living there to drive us around. He's not only picking us up from the airport and bringing us to the hotel but he coming the next morning to get us to the pier (Pier 30). He also going to come to get us at the end and spend the day with us before our flight home that night.

Here's the question... due to his schedule, he has to drop us at the pier by a little before 10am... what's this cruise terminal like? Are we going to be stranded, standing outside with our luggage at that hour? Is there a way to drop our luggage that early and go do something or will we be better off just sitting there until they begin boarding?

Thanks for any insights you might have... your info has been MOST interesting and useful! Great questions here!

Karen,

I am just so happy to see this thread! Thank you for all of this information - I skimmed most of it after the first few pages so I apologize if this is a repeated question...

I am staying at the Hilton (downtown, on 6th Avenue) because we have points... and I am also lucky enough to have my brother living there to drive us around. He's not only picking us up from the airport and bringing us to the hotel but he coming the next morning to get us to the pier (Pier 30). He also going to come to get us at the end and spend the day with us before our flight home that night.

Here's the question... due to his schedule, he has to drop us at the pier by a little before 10am... what's this cruise terminal like? Are we going to be stranded, standing outside with our luggage at that hour? Is there a way to drop our luggage that early and go do something or will we be better off just sitting there until they begin boarding?

Thanks for any insights you might have... your info has been MOST interesting and useful! Great questions here!

Not to worry. At 10:00 am you will be in a two to three hour long line with thousands of other people. You won't be lonely in the least....:eek:

It's an industrial area, really nothing to see or do, other than hand over your luggage and stand in line waiting your turn. (That's why I'm getting there at EIGHT, to be first in line....:D )

Karen-wow, are you really getting in line at 8???!!! I was thinking we'd be doing well by getting there by 10:30 or 11! Thanks so much for all your helpful info-the link to Pioneer Square was especially helpful. Do you know if the Saveway Market on Occidental sells six-packs of soda? I hope you give yourself a break while you're on your cruise-or are you bringing your laptop so your cc fans won't go into withdrawal:rolleyes: ?

Not to worry. At 10:00 am you will be in a two to three hour long line with thousands of other people. You won't be lonely in the least....:eek:

YIKES! Are you serious about the 2-3 hour wait??? Even on Princess?? On all of my other Princess cruises (albeit out of FL or NY) we never had to wait more than an hour - and usually less. Maybe my platinum status will help a bit?:confused:

Karen-wow, are you really getting in line at 8???!!! I was thinking we'd be doing well by getting there by 10:30 or 11! Thanks so much for all your helpful info-the link to Pioneer Square was especially helpful. Do you know if the Saveway Market on Occidental sells six-packs of soda? I hope you give yourself a break while you're on your cruise-or are you bringing your laptop so your cc fans won't go into withdrawal:rolleyes: ?

I'm not familiar with that, but I am guessing it is a convenience type store (similar to 7-11), so they probably do.

Oh, no, the laptop ALWAYS goes with me on vacation. I am a semi-pro photographer, so I need it for photo and video editing en route.

And, yes, I will be there at 0800, bright and early. I HATE to stand in line (bad back and bad knee......no fun).

Archived