Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

If you know which restaurant you are planning to go to, Teresa, I can check the hours for you. Some do close down early, and some don't.

Karen, we are not sure yet. I think we are planning to go over there in the afternoon on Friday after H20 and Nordic arrive and just be tourists. But we figure we might find a place to hang out, have some dinner and drinks. I do plan on buying som flowers to take on board the Golden. I was thinking I might even get up early on Saturday and go back and do that. Not sure yet.

We booked alreadytheretowncar dot com for the 4 of us back to the airport on 9/20. Got a flat rate of $45 plus gratuity for all of us which save some $ compared to Grayline. And today I plan to reserve Grayline from the airport to the Sheraton for when we arrive.

thanks

Hi Karen,

Your cruise to Alaska is coming up close, isn't it? Bon Voyage!

p.s. I watched Sleepless in Seattle last night. It was fun to look at all the places we've gone to.

:)

Yep, three weeks. Cant' wait!!

Oddly enough, SleeplessInSeattle is my screen name all over the internet, other than here.....:)

Karen, we are not sure yet. I think we are planning to go over there in the afternoon on Friday after H20 and Nordic arrive and just be tourists. But we figure we might find a place to hang out, have some dinner and drinks. I do plan on buying som flowers to take on board the Golden. I was thinking I might even get up early on Saturday and go back and do that. Not sure yet.

We booked alreadytheretowncar dot com for the 4 of us back to the airport on 9/20. Got a flat rate of $45 plus gratuity for all of us which save some $ compared to Grayline. And today I plan to reserve Grayline from the airport to the Sheraton for when we arrive.

thanks

Then the best answer I can give you is that most of the little mom and pop type restaurants close when the market does (and some of them are REALLY good), but places like Lowell's, Matt's, Cafe Campagne, and the Brewery are open until about 9. You need to make reservations in advance for all but maybe Lowell's, and it is better if you make them there, too.

I remember that you said you were thinking of going to the Brewery.

You can make advance reservations here:

http://www.pikebrewing.com/

Cafe Campagne here:

http://www.campagnerestaurant.com/cafe_res.html

Matt's here:

http://www.mattsinthemarket.com/

Lowell's here:

http://www.eatatlowells.com/

All of the above have menus online that you can check out in advance, so that you know where you want to make reservations. (Reservations for dinner most anywhere are a MUST in this town--unless of course you don't mind waiting 1-2 hours for a seat).

Thanks again Karen.

I am also going to be looking for a place to buy wine. Is there something between the Sheraton and Pikes?

Someone else on here referred me to a little deli type store right at Pier 66. I am using this as a Plan B if my original stop does not work! Anyway, I did call and she said they do carry wine and prices start around $8.00.

Ok I have asked this question on the roll call board and they said I should come over here and you. I am going to Seattle. The one thing I want to do is go to Pike Market Place. I just found out there are a lot of stairs to get down to it. My question is I am going with two people that do not do stairs (one is 77 and one has MS) so is there another way down to Pike's?

Thanks again Karen.

I am also going to be looking for a place to buy wine. Is there something between the Sheraton and Pikes?

You can go to the IGA at 3rd Av and Pike, down in the basement of the Kress Building, or you can get it at the Market.

Or, I could make your life easy for you. What kind of wine do you want? The IGA carries quite a bit of Chateau Ste Michelle, which is one of Washington's finer wineries (it is the one that a lot of the tours go to). They are well known for their cabernets and their merlots. Being a personal shopper works for me (nothing better to do, after all). If there is something specific that you want, I can pick it up for you (just because I don't drink doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about wines), and I could leave it at the Sheraton for you on Thursday. Only thing is, leaving it for "Yvonne, Teresa, Brian and Don" might not work, might need at least one last name.....

ok I have one more question. Well be staying at the comfort inn on roy street. Do you know anything about this hotel. Good area. I needed something for all five adults in one room with a breakfast. This was the cheapest hotel I could find.

It is in Queen Anne, on Dexter (more or less) and near the Holiday Inn and HI Express. It's a reasonably good area but, like most city downtown areas, you need to be on the lookout at night, and travel in a group. Act as if you belong and know where you are going and you should not have any problems whatsoever.

You can go to the IGA at 3rd Av and Pike, down in the basement of the Kress Building, or you can get it at the Market.

Or, I could make your life easy for you. What kind of wine do you want? The IGA carries quite a bit of Chateau Ste Michelle, which is one of Washington's finer wineries (it is the one that a lot of the tours go to). They are well known for their cabernets and their merlots. Being a personal shopper works for me (nothing better to do, after all). If there is something specific that you want, I can pick it up for you (just because I don't drink doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about wines), and I could leave it at the Sheraton for you on Thursday. Only thing is, leaving it for "Yvonne, Teresa, Brian and Don" might not work, might need at least one last name.....

Thanks Karen, that is really sweet of you to offer. I am thinking that Don will want to shop for the wine. That will be part of the relaxing vacation ritual.

Thanks Karen, that is really sweet of you to offer. I am thinking that Don will want to shop for the wine. That will be part of the relaxing vacation ritual.

As my youngest often says "No prob, Bob." If you change your minds or get too tied up to take care of it, just let me know. We are in there about every other day (and that's where we're going to pick up our embarkation morning picnic).

Sunnee, there's an upscale grocery store right in Pike's Place Market that has a fabulous wine department. It's called DeLaurenti's and it's inside the Market at the corner of First and Pike.

Thanks Sailorgirl...lot's of options. We are getting really excited...won't be long now.

Sunnee, there's an upscale grocery store right in Pike's Place Market that has a fabulous wine department. It's called DeLaurenti's and it's inside the Market at the corner of First and Pike.

Thanks from me too Sailor!! Sunnie T, I looked it up and it closes at 6. Is that enough time for you to load up your 18 wheeler with wine? :D :D

I'm excited to see Seattle for my first time. I wish we were there longer than 3 hours but it is what it is and we'll cram it in.

I know this has been asked and answered before, so please forgive. Where is the original Starbucks Karen (or anyone that knows)? I know they are located probably on every corner, but I'd sure like to see the original for historic sake if it's nearby.

Thanks from me too Sailor!! Sunnie T, I looked it up and it closes at 6. Is that enough time for you to load up your 18 wheeler with wine? :D :D

I'm excited to see Seattle for my first time. I wish we were there longer than 3 hours but it is what it is and we'll cram it in.

I know this has been asked and answered before, so please forgive. Where is the original Starbucks Karen (or anyone that knows)? I know they are located probably on every corner, but I'd sure like to see the original for historic sake if it's nearby.

In the market. Ask anyone and they will point you in that direction. There is also a map at the market's website that you can download and will give you the exact location:

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true

I thought that you guys were coming in on Thursday the 11th? You'll have all day Friday, no?

Yep, got that map all printed up in my file (that is getting awfully thick, hee hee). Thanks, I didn't even see Starbucks on there, so that's the original? Cool Coffee Beans!

We're coming in Friday afternoon if all goes as scheduled.

Glad to help other wine lovers find the good stuff in Seattle! :rolleyes: As to the Starbucks, there is an alley/road that runs north/south along the east edge of the market, just off of First Avenue .. there are storefronts along the eastern edge of that (and the Market to the West). The original Starbucks is in that bank of storefronts. Don't be surprised, it looks very unassuming from the street, not like a regular SBs. They sell some logo gear that's made to sell in that store and that store only.

Yep, got that map all printed up in my file (that is getting awfully thick, hee hee). Thanks, I didn't even see Starbucks on there, so that's the original? Cool Coffee Beans!

We're coming in Friday afternoon if all goes as scheduled.

Hmmmm.....I thought all four of you were coming in on Thursday. Well, if there is anything you need for me/us to pick up for you so that you can do your three hour "cramming it all in" then, do let me know.

This may have been answered but didn't feel like going through 72 pages tonight. We are planning on sightseeing in Seattle after our cruise. I have read posts where people talk about free bus routes in downtown Seattle. Do these go to the same places as the Grayline tour that has been mentioned with off and on privileges?

This may have been answered but didn't feel like going through 72 pages tonight. We are planning on sightseeing in Seattle after our cruise. I have read posts where people talk about free bus routes in downtown Seattle. Do these go to the same places as the Grayline tour that has been mentioned with off and on privileges?

The ride free zone is for King County Metro and other community transit buses, and extends through the downtown core from 6 am to 7 pm seven days a week. It is possible, if you know where you want to go, to get to most attractions on the bus, but not all of them fall within the free ride zone.

You can plan a trip, and have access to fare information, here:

http://transit.metrokc.gov

In the market. Ask anyone and they will point you in that direction. There is also a map at the market's website that you can download and will give you the exact location:

http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=true

I thought that you guys were coming in on Thursday the 11th? You'll have all day Friday, no?

Karen,

Don and I are coming in on Thursday the 11th. We land about 11am to scope things out before Yvonne and Brian get there on Friday. We are the security detail for the real celebrities.

Thanks from me too Sailor!!

You will see the long line of people outside waiting to get in.

There is a brass plaque to mark the spot. We took pictures. :D

Archived