Seattle Q&A/FAQ

SeattleCruiselover

Another Happy Cruiser. Thanks Karen for all your great info and the great weather when we arrived. Sorry I missed the meet up at the Wheel House didn't get over there until after 2:30 that day....:( I took over 800 pictures and my comp is such a old gal that it's taking for ever to download them to shutterfly. Will post when I'm done.

Loved the Sheraton Seattle, great area and easy walking to everything. Did the Duck Tour and what a HOOT it was. Wasn't able to eat at the needle like I wanted too due to the time sch of the Duck Tour-Captain Max was so FUNNY, ate at a Greek Rest. instead and the food was good. The other places we ate at that we all liked was the Crab Pot, Rock Bottom and Red Robin. Always wanted to try Red Robin and the only one close to us is over on the west coast of Fl in the Naples area.

We got to see whales breaching in Juneau------AWSOME!!! Loved the train ride in Skagway we went with Chilkoot instead of the cruise line and I was so Happy with them. Shawn was a great tour guide.

Got some great shopping deals. I felt the few hours in Victoria was a waste and think they should just add more hours in Ketchikan instead.

I was very sad that we missed out going into Tracy Arms, but it was better safe than be sorry in the long run.

I think the Coral is a better ship but the staff on the Golden I liked better.

Did the Breast Cancer walk and enjoyed walking around the ship that day without it being wet and foggy.

Found the food in the buffet to be OK for lunch & dinner, didn't care for the breakfast time. Ate most of our dinners in Donatello had 1 good night and 2 very slow service, so slow that we missed one of the shows....:( Liked the food at the Dessert Rose (use to be the Sterling Steakhouse) the steaks was very good.

We all enjoyed the coffee on the ship, found it to be very smoothed.

We stayed at the Hotel Vintage after the cruise and it was OK but liked the Sheraton better. Got the Sheraton thur Priceline and Hotel Vintage thur Hotwire--paid $115 for the Sheraton and $112 for Hotel Vintage without tax.

While everyone was taking a nap after getting off the ship and went for a walk and slipped and fell-scrapped up my ® knee with a huge bruise....OUCH!!

We took the Grayline Tour to Mt. Rainer, even though it was another foggy and damp day, what a great tour---10 hours long for only $59. So what did I do but slipped AGAIN when we stopped to take pictures of a waterfall and scrapped up the ® knee, so I now have a matched set....LOL

We only had 2 snags on this trip both involving the airlines-1 was our fault we over sleeped leaving Ft. Laud and missed our flight out, had to be sent to Newark then on to Seattle and lost 3 hours in Seattle because of it. But it all worked out in the end since we arrived the same time BIL & SIL was arriving. The 2nd was on our returned home. Plane coming in from Cleveland had service problems and delayed us by 3 hours which was OK, but we wouldn't have a flight out of Houston to Ft. Laud. so we had to stay another night. They then offered us a RED EYE to Newark and not getting home to Ft. Laud until about 10:30am. I told them NO WAY, since this was MY FAULT was I doing that.

Had a great time inspite of the few snags. But I think this will be our last Alaskan trip. My DH was dx with kidney disease a few years ago and by the end of the year he will be going on Dialysis. Our future trips will be closer to home.

Another Happy Cruiser. Thanks Karen for all your great info and the great weather when we arrived. Sorry I missed the meet up at the Wheel House didn't get over there until after 2:30 that day....:( I took over 800 pictures and my comp is such a old gal that it's taking for ever to download them to shutterfly. Will post when I'm done.

Loved the Sheraton Seattle, great area and easy walking to everything. Did the Duck Tour and what a HOOT it was. Wasn't able to eat at the needle like I wanted too due to the time sch of the Duck Tour-Captain Max was so FUNNY, ate at a Greek Rest. instead and the food was good. The other places we ate at that we all liked was the Crab Pot, Rock Bottom and Red Robin. Always wanted to try Red Robin and the only one close to us is over on the west coast of Fl in the Naples area.

We got to see whales breaching in Juneau------AWSOME!!! Loved the train ride in Skagway we went with Chilkoot instead of the cruise line and I was so Happy with them. Shawn was a great tour guide.

Got some great shopping deals. I felt the few hours in Victoria was a waste and think they should just add more hours in Ketchikan instead.

I was very sad that we missed out going into Tracy Arms, but it was better safe than be sorry in the long run.

I think the Coral is a better ship but the staff on the Golden I liked better.

Did the Breast Cancer walk and enjoyed walking around the ship that day without it being wet and foggy.

Found the food in the buffet to be OK for lunch & dinner, didn't care for the breakfast time. Ate most of our dinners in Donatello had 1 good night and 2 very slow service, so slow that we missed one of the shows....:( Liked the food at the Dessert Rose (use to be the Sterling Steakhouse) the steaks was very good.

We all enjoyed the coffee on the ship, found it to be very smoothed.

We stayed at the Hotel Vintage after the cruise and it was OK but liked the Sheraton better. Got the Sheraton thur Priceline and Hotel Vintage thur Hotwire--paid $115 for the Sheraton and $112 for Hotel Vintage without tax.

While everyone was taking a nap after getting off the ship and went for a walk and slipped and fell-scrapped up my ® knee with a huge bruise....OUCH!!

We took the Grayline Tour to Mt. Rainer, even though it was another foggy and damp day, what a great tour---10 hours long for only $59. So what did I do but slipped AGAIN when we stopped to take pictures of a waterfall and scrapped up the ® knee, so I now have a matched set....LOL

We only had 2 snags on this trip both involving the airlines-1 was our fault we over sleeped leaving Ft. Laud and missed our flight out, had to be sent to Newark then on to Seattle and lost 3 hours in Seattle because of it. But it all worked out in the end since we arrived the same time BIL & SIL was arriving. The 2nd was on our returned home. Plane coming in from Cleveland had service problems and delayed us by 3 hours which was OK, but we wouldn't have a flight out of Houston to Ft. Laud. so we had to stay another night. They then offered us a RED EYE to Newark and not getting home to Ft. Laud until about 10:30am. I told them NO WAY, since this was MY FAULT was I doing that.

Had a great time inspite of the few snags. But I think this will be our last Alaskan trip. My DH was dx with kidney disease a few years ago and by the end of the year he will be going on Dialysis. Our future trips will be closer to home.

Becky,

We also had Shawn as our guide on the Skagway excursion, met him at 7:30am. We sat on the left side of the first train car that he offered us (choice of two) and were about middle of the car. We were with our friends, Brian and Yvonne. Also, we stayed at the Sharaton precruise on thurs and Fri. Did we see each other?

Becky,

We also had Shawn as our guide on the Skagway excursion, met him at 7:30am. We sat on the left side of the first train car that he offered us (choice of two) and were about middle of the car. We were with our friends, Brian and Yvonne. Also, we stayed at the Sharaton precruise on thurs and Fri. Did we see each other?

I'm sure we had to have......:) We had to go to the 2nd car and I stayed outside the whole time, I was wearing the short Pink coat and we sat in the back of the bus on the ride back.

I'm sure we had to have......:) We had to go to the 2nd car and I stayed outside the whole time, I was wearing the short Pink coat and we sat in the back of the bus on the ride back.

Geez, I sat with my nose to the window the whole time and was oblivious to my surroundings.

Disney Becky, we got to the Wheelhouse around 2, we watched Michaaaeeelllll. We were there well after 2:30 sitting up at the bar. Sorry we missed ya. Funny you were on the train right behind us too. I walked on that platform for like 10 seconds just to let Sunnieee T snap a photo, scary!

Karen-

We're back from our cruise on the Westerdam and just wanted to thank you for all the great Seattle info.

We ended up using Already There Town Car for all our pickups and were very well pleased with them. We had a great time doing all the fun things in Seattle like the Space Needle, EMP, Pike Market, shopping, shopping. It was obvious that we need to come back some time just for a trip to Seattle where we can stay at least a week.

We were so fortunate with our weather. It drizzled on Saturday while we were at the market but nothing that kept us from having a great time. And when we boarded the Westerdam on Sunday it magically cleared and gave us a beautiful sail away. Our luck held for Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. We had high winds and waves after Ketchikan and then some fog on Saturday which somehow miraculously cleared away as we were arriving at Victoria and we had a lovely evening there. Even our flight out of Seattle seemed more like a sightseeing flight as our pilot flew us past the mountains with outstanding views. He finished off by doing an eastern landing in St. Louis bringing us in past the Gateway Arch. I couldn't have had a more perfect vacation.

Take care and I will certainly be checking back here especially when I have that next trip to Seattle planned.

St. Louis Sal

Karen-

We're back from our cruise on the Westerdam and just wanted to thank you for all the great Seattle info.

We ended up using Already There Town Car for all our pickups and were very well pleased with them. We had a great time doing all the fun things in Seattle like the Space Needle, EMP, Pike Market, shopping, shopping. It was obvious that we need to come back some time just for a trip to Seattle where we can stay at least a week.

We were so fortunate with our weather. It drizzled on Saturday while we were at the market but nothing that kept us from having a great time. And when we boarded the Westerdam on Sunday it magically cleared and gave us a beautiful sail away. Our luck held for Glacier Bay, Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. We had high winds and waves after Ketchikan and then some fog on Saturday which somehow miraculously cleared away as we were arriving at Victoria and we had a lovely evening there. Even our flight out of Seattle seemed more like a sightseeing flight as our pilot flew us past the mountains with outstanding views. He finished off by doing an eastern landing in St. Louis bringing us in past the Gateway Arch. I couldn't have had a more perfect vacation.

Take care and I will certainly be checking back here especially when I have that next trip to Seattle planned.

St. Louis Sal

So you got the good weather that we missed in Alaska, and the rough seas that we were supposed to and did not. Glad you enjoyed it. Come back soon.

Forgive me for not reading all the 1,000 plus posts folks but can anyone advise me of the nearest longterm parking lot by the Doubletree Seatac airport?

We need parking for 18 nights so we are looking for coupons, discounts and anything that would beat the Doubletree rate of $12 a night.

Thanks for any advise and have a great weekend all.:)

ps. This thread is fantastic!

Forgive me for not reading all the 1,000 plus posts folks but can anyone advise me of the nearest longterm parking lot by the Doubletree Seatac airport?

We need parking for 18 nights so we are looking for coupons, discounts and anything that would beat the Doubletree rate of $12 a night.

Thanks for any advise and have a great weekend all.:)

ps. This thread is fantastic!

Hi Elaine:D how are you and Ian doing?

I have a link for you of a company I have used in the

past for hotels with parking and great rates:)

Most are only up to 14 nights free so you might have

to pay for the additional 4 nights but give it a try.

http://buyreservations.com/AHR%20-%20SEA%20%20hotel%20choices/0%20-%20SEA%20%20%20hotel%20choices.htm

Hope you are both doing well!

Lois!:) Always nice to hear from you, Ian and I are just great, don't forget to let me know anytime you our in our neck of the woods. Thanks for the link - it is perfect.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I found MVP parking is just a block or two away from the Doubletree and charges a regular rate of $9.95 a day but with the coupon below, cheaper:

http://www.mvpparking.com/images/coupon.gif

Elaine, I was in Vancouver on Sept 14th...sailed out of Balleyntine.

Arrived on the train from Seattle and went directly to the ship:)

Sorry I missed you both again!

Glad that link helped you with hotel and parking:)

May 2007, stayed by myself at the Fairfield Inn SEATAC. Arrived on Saturday evening, caught their free shuttle from the airport and back to the airport next day, took about 5 mins each time. On Sunday caught the HAL shuttle at the airport, then to the Noordam's Seattle dock. Hotel included free breakfast and for a room with a whirlpool paid $94.00. I am sure it has gone up, but as a single woman traveling by myself, would definitely recommend this hotel..

Karen- We are back from our 14 - day Alaska to San Diego. Just thought I'd let you know that the weather was great!, only rain we saw was in Sitka. We did have a pretty rough sea day between Seattle and San Francisco -16 ft seas!! , let me tell you THAT was not fun, I was sure glad when that was over!! We went under the golden gate about 12:30 the next day, that was fantastic, great weather, only rained when we were leaving about midnight, I was asleep, but my DH was out on our balcony to get night pictures of the bridge.

We did have quite a flight from San Diego back home to Seattle. We spent an extra hour in the air avoiding thunder storms in Seattle, let me tell you, we flew through some really black clouds, not fun!! I was very glad to put my feet on the ground at Seatac, although I was freezing, getting our luggage lol

Sorry your weather was so bad and ours was good, even beautiful sunshine in Ketchikan!! 80 on Catalina, it rained the day before, they told us.

Melody:D

Looking for a mid priced, under $150 nite hotel at airport, flying in May 5th taking Carnival transfer to Vancouver on May 6th so just looking for a hotel with shuttle service to airport and clean sleeping arrangements for two women traveling alone.

Thanks.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but based on reviews on a number of sites I have booked the Sleep Inn SeaTac for my post-cruise night-before-the-flight-home next May. They're currently quoting $99.99 for May 5 for a room with 2 double beds, $10 less if you have AAA or one of you are age 50+.

Looking for a mid priced, under $150 nite hotel at airport, flying in May 5th taking Carnival transfer to Vancouver on May 6th so just looking for a hotel with shuttle service to airport and clean sleeping arrangements for two women traveling alone.

Thanks.

We paid $109 for the Radisson SeaTac. Directly in front of the exit from the airport, a short shuttle ride away. Very comfortable. Or check out Tripadvisor.com for recommendations for hotels around the airport.

Thanks.

Not having sailed out of Vancouver before but have considered it. So I'm curious about your arrangements because you mentioned you're using a Carnival transfer from Seattle to Vancouver. I have noticed it's less expensive (an I use my air miles) going into Seattle. But I was unsure if the cost from SEA to Vancouver would make up for the price difference of flying to Vancouver vs SEA. Is your transfer by plane, train, boat, or what?

Well, to give you an idea... I'm not taking cruiseline transfers, but I did explore the SEA vs YVR (Vancouver) choice.

My trip will be May 24 to June 7 (both Sundays); the cruise is May 30-June 6.

My nearest airport is BDL (Hartford/Springfield)

BDL to SEA roundtrip starts at $489 incl taxes on that "T" travel site

BDL to YVR starts at $734

My Amtrak fare is $30 each way ($35 if you choose a bus option, $43 for business class train - and 10% off with a AAA card)!

Not having sailed out of Vancouver before but have considered it. So I'm curious about your arrangements because you mentioned you're using a Carnival transfer from Seattle to Vancouver. I have noticed it's less expensive (an I use my air miles) going into Seattle. But I was unsure if the cost from SEA to Vancouver would make up for the price difference of flying to Vancouver vs SEA. Is your transfer by plane, train, boat, or what?

I thought about the train, but for the price of the Carnival transfer $49.50 each way, it was worth the extra few $$$ to have "no touch luggage" once we board the bus until we get into our room and no headaches about customers or board crossing etc. just sit back and relax and watch the scenery pass by on the buss.

For us to fly into/outof VYR direct was easily another $400 pp so the $99 pperson for hte Carnival bus and a hotel room stay is well under the $400 pp.

If I was traveling alone I might be more adventuresome but my mom will be traveling with me and she is 80 and I am 56 so we are comfortable with the decision we have made regarding the bus transfer, and if the bus breaks down the ship will wait for us!

Susan

I thought about the train, but for the price of the Carnival transfer $49.50 each way, it was worth the extra few $$$ to have "no touch luggage" once we board the bus until we get into our room and no headaches about customers or board crossing etc. just sit back and relax and watch the scenery pass by on the buss.

For us to fly into/outof VYR direct was easily another $400 pp so the $99 pperson for hte Carnival bus and a hotel room stay is well under the $400 pp.

If I was traveling alone I might be more adventuresome but my mom will be traveling with me and she is 80 and I am 56 so we are comfortable with the decision we have made regarding the bus transfer, and if the bus breaks down the ship will wait for us!

Susan

Susan: Actually, nowadays, they WON'T wait for you if you are late, but it will be their responsibility to get you to the first port, not yours.

I believe that, this year, the cruise lines' bus transfers from here to YVR ran about $80 per person one way. Train is much cheaper and better way to go. I highly recommend it.

Can you help me? We are flying into Seattle and will stay about 3 days just to enjoy the city. Then head to Vancouver to catch our ship. We'd like to do a train to Vancouver but take the Quick Shuttle back post cruise directly to the Seaattle airport. My question...

If we do the train from Seattle to Van. where is the train station in relation to downtown? We'll stay downtown near Pike's Market. Then where is the train station in relation to the port in Vancouver? Do we cab it to and from the train stations?

Thanks for any help!

Archived