Parking Terminal in Mobile

LakerMom

I just read that the cost for parking is $75 for a vehicle and $150 for oversized vehicles.

What is considered oversized. I'm thinking a motor home or bus. We drive a suburban. Would that be considered oversized?

Nah...a Suburban is just a regular size vehicle down here...you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. :rolleyes:

Nah...a Suburban is just a regular size vehicle down here...you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one. :rolleyes:

LOL! I would like all the information on Mobile I can get my hands on, I have found very little on this board. We have never been to Mobile, so don't know they lay out. Please help with any info you have. Sorry if I hijacked the thread. $15 a day parking seems pricey!

Hey all, couldn't find much on Mobile behind the scenes info precruise and just drove home yesterday from the port (1000 miles) so I can offer a little info:

Full size SUV is only the $75 at the port parking.

Under the I10 overpass dozens if not 100s of cars park for free. Rolling the dice on damage/theft but your not alone if you go the cheap route. Walking distance to the port entrance is not much further than the offical port parking if any.

Other option is a large downtown parking garage away from the action. Maybe a 5 minute walk east from the port building. $12 a day there and while you may lose a bit of time getting there you will gain that and then some hoping on the I10 an entrance over from the other 2000 people doing the same thing.

(not so honest trick here is a lost parking ticket gets the maximum charge of $12 for the entire cruise)

Better than all of the above is staying at a closeby hotel with free parking for the week. I could not find much within a mile of the ship is this is deemed "downtown". I did the Ashbury suites at exit 3 on I65, the ship is at exit 1 a few miles east of I65. 6-8 minute ride. The Ashbury has free shuttles to all local attractions (not the port due to time spent getting in and out of there) and free parking all week for your car with only 1 night room rental.

We had a group and 3 vehicles. Left 2 at the hotel and 1 car at the $12 garage to avoid trying to hail a taxi to get back to the hotel to fetch the other vehicles and it all worked out well.

Much less congestion than other ports I have been to, was rolling up I65 within 90 minutes of waking up on the ship to a room service breakfast.

Check out the USS Alabama and Sub 1 exit East of the cruise ship if you can fit it in, well worth the $10 bucks (AAA rate)!

Have fun!

Hey all, couldn't find much on Mobile behind the scenes info precruise and just drove home yesterday from the port (1000 miles) so I can offer a little info:

Under the I10 overpass dozens if not 100s of cars park for free.

Not anymore they don't. Tickets then towing. Will cost you much more.

LOL! I would like all the information on Mobile I can get my hands on, I have found very little on this board. We have never been to Mobile, so don't know they lay out. Please help with any info you have. Sorry if I hijacked the thread. $15 a day parking seems pricey!

There's a lot to see and do in and around Mobile and Mobile Bay...you might want to check out this website:

http://www.mobile.org/

If you're looking for places to stay, I would suggest going across the bay to Daphne (about 8 miles). Cheaper than the hotels near the terminal downtown and extremely easy to access. The Hampton Inn would be my pick...it's bayfront, facing west, with killer sunsets. Here's a link:

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=IAYFVTSOPMKMGCSGBJBOD4Q?ctyhocn=MOBEBHX

Of course, no trip to Mobile would be complete without going out on the Causeway and sampling some of the finest seafood on the Gulf Coast from one of the numerous restaurants available. My favorites are Felix's Fish Camp and Ed's Seafood Shed. Felix's has great food and the best service (finer dining) and Ed's has the best fried shrimp and a great outdoor deck to enjoy the magnificent sunsets...and a cold beer.

Also, if you have time, there are several places along the Causeway where you can hop on an airboat for a tour of the delta...very fun trip! We've done it many times and always see something new when we go.

The maps on this link will give you a good idea of the layout of the area:

http://www.mobile.org/vis_maps.php

Downtown Mobile and (of course) the cruise terminal are right on the waterfront on the northwest tip of Mobile Bay. There are 2 ways to get across the bay...the "Causeway" which is the local road and the "Bayway" which is Interstate 10. These two roads intersect a couple of times at different places but essentially spit you out in the same general area...Spanish Fort on the north side of I-10 and Daphne on the south side of I-10.

Anyway, I hope this helps. We moved here 8 years ago from L.A. and fell in love with the area immediately.

If you have more than a day to check out the area, I would highly recommend traveling about 45 minutes down the road to Gulf Shores or Orange Beach and check out the fabulous "Redneck Riviera"...and, even better and almost the same distance, Pensacola Beach which is, in my not too humble opinion, one of the finest beaches on the Gulf Coast.

Have a great trip and a great cruise!

• 2 years later...

Is parking $15 a day at the port ?? Im confused by the $75 figure. I was debating between a 5 day or a B2B 5 and then 4 day..

If I just do the 5 day, then I would probably park at the port, more than I would get a hotel with parking.

...so its $15 a day?

Is parking $15 a day at the port ?? Im confused by the $75 figure. I was debating between a 5 day or a B2B 5 and then 4 day..

If I just do the 5 day, then I would probably park at the port, more than I would get a hotel with parking.

...so its $15 a day?

$15 a day. 5 day cruise = $75. 4 day = $60. 9 day = $135. I can't believe you drug up a 2 year old thread!! Lol. :)

We just got back today from a 7 night cruise out of Mobile. We had to park several blocks away and they take you by bus to the terminal and it still cost $90! We actually ended up walking (with our luggage and a toddler) to the terminal. Some of the others waited 2 hours for a bus! Getting back to the car was easy though - we did self assist and got right on the bus and it only took a couple of minutes to get to the car.

Some passengers did get to park in the parking deck at the terminal though. If you are getting off the interstate and a police car comes by making an announcement to follow him, you'll know he's taking you to the parking lot away from the terminal. The ones who didn't listen and stayed in the right lane got to park at the terminal. It cost more but they didn't have to walk or wait on a bus.

Our first cruise out of Mobile, we stayed at a hotel that let you leave your car and they shuttled you to the port. We're going back next month and that's probably what we'll do then. It was about the same price as paying to park.

Our first cruise out of Mobile, we stayed at a hotel that let you leave your car and they shuttled you to the port. We're going back next month and that's probably what we'll do then. It was about the same price as paying to park.

Even if I only do a 5 day out of Mobile, Ill probably look into a hotel that lets you park for free rather than go thru all that. wow.

I too just got off the Elation in Mobile on Saturday. Yes the police did have some people move to the Civic Center, which is a good walk from the ship. The reason for that was because the ship came in late due to two ships in port on the same day. This is NOT a normal happening. To add to the confusion people arrive early and there was no place to put them. Everyone was asked to arrive at 4 PM. There were people arriving at Noon. This just backed traffic up onto the interstate and created a hazard. So they have to move them to the Civic Center. The reason they had to wait two hours at the Civic Center is because the terminal was not cleared of the incoming passengers off the Elation.

So this is not a normal occurrence nor do we have two ships in on the same day. If you get to the pier at 11 PM you should be able to park in the Cruise Terminal Parking Garage. If for some reason they tell you to go to the Civic Center just drive around for an hour and come back to the terminal. You do not have to park at the Civic Center.

Normally they start boarding at noon. So don't get there too soon and you will be ok.

They will not start shuttling passengers from the Civic Center until the terminal is opened. That would put too many passengers waiting outside the terminal and they just don't have the room.

I hope this helps everyone understand that last Saturday was not a norm nor is a fog day. Hope I have been of some help. The people in Mobile are great.

I too just got off the Elation in Mobile on Saturday. Yes the police did have some people move to the Civic Center, which is a good walk from the ship. The reason for that was because the ship came in late due to two ships in port on the same day. This is NOT a normal happening. To add to the confusion people arrive early and there was no place to put them. Everyone was asked to arrive at 4 PM. There were people arriving at Noon. This just backed traffic up onto the interstate and created a hazard. So they have to move them to the Civic Center. The reason they had to wait two hours at the Civic Center is because the terminal was not cleared of the incoming passengers off the Elation.

So this is not a normal occurrence nor do we have two ships in on the same day. If you get to the pier at 11 PM you should be able to park in the Cruise Terminal Parking Garage. If for some reason they tell you to go to the Civic Center just drive around for an hour and come back to the terminal. You do not have to park at the Civic Center.

Normally they start boarding at noon. So don't get there too soon and you will be ok.

They will not start shuttling passengers from the Civic Center until the terminal is opened. That would put too many passengers waiting outside the terminal and they just don't have the room.

I hope this helps everyone understand that last Saturday was not a norm nor is a fog day. Hope I have been of some help. The people in Mobile are great.

If you walk to the terminal - how early will they let you in? We're leaving our car at the hotel and I want to get there earlier than the hotel shuttles are scheduled to leave the hotel. I don't mind the walk and will need the exercise before packing on all the calories on the cruise!!

Thanks,

Ashley :)

We're going on a 4 day cruise and staying at the Renaissance (park/cruise package). Our vehicle does not fit in parking garages (too tall with truck topper) so we're thinking about parking at the Civic Center. I've tried calling the center several times (left a few messages also) to find out how much it is to park there during our cruise. I can't reach a human, only voicemail. Does anyone know how much it is to park at the Civic Center and if there is a shuttle to/from the port?

You did not say which hotel you are staying at so I can only assume you are downtown. I would not get to the terminal before 10:30AM at the earliest. Even on a good day they do not board you until 11:30AM. Good luck and if you have any further questions just ask I live in Mobile.

Bandit

I'm not sure how much it cost to park an over sized vehicle at the Civic Center but it is $120.00 for a 4 day stay at the cruise terminal. Over sized space is limited. You can call the terminal at 1-888-744-7662 or go on their web site at http://www.shipmobile.com.

There is transportation from the Civic Center to the ship and back. Just don't get their too early. You will have to wait until they start boarding. That is when the bus comes.

Hope this has helped.

Bandit

]

You did not say which hotel you are staying at so I can only assume you are downtown. I would not get to the terminal before 10:30AM at the earliest. Even on a good day they do not board you until 11:30AM. Good luck and if you have any further questions just ask I live in Mobile.

Bandit

We're staying at the Admiral Semmes.

I do have another question (since you offered). :D

Have you ever eaten breakfast at the Spot of Tea? Their menu looks DELICIOUS! I'm planning on taking my girls there at around 8:00 am that morning (Saturday). If you have been there - how busy do you think they will be...or I should say...how long do you think the wait will be?

My brother and his family live in Mobile, but they have never cruised and they have never eaten at that restaurant...so, they're not much help (LOL).

Thanks,

Ashley :)

There is transportation from the Civic Center to the ship and back. Just don't get their too early. You will have to wait until they start boarding. That is when the bus comes.

Bandit

]

No offense but you make it sound like the only time you have to wait is if you get there before they tell you to and that just wasn't the case. We did not arrive early, they were already boarding and people that got there when we did still waited 2 hours for the bus. We decided to walk instead of waiting and were glad we did! The walk isn't really that bad and I'm sure it was a fluke that the wait was that long but it wasn't because we were there before they started boarding. They run 2 buses and both had already left with a full load when we arrived.

ALSO - Parking at the Civic Center was $90 for a 7 day cruise so not sure what it would be for a shorter amount of time. I don't think they would charge extra for a vehicle being taller than normal since it is just a single level, fenced in area.

Sorry I have never eaten at the Spot of Tea. Can't help you there.

RJ7591: I'm sorry to indicate that by getting to the Civic Center after boarding begins that you will be picked up promptly. I am aware of your two hour wait. I have notified my travel agent in Mobile that that is not acceptable. It has been mentioned twice lately in the Mobile Press. This is something that the Terminal Operators need to work on. You can also send a letter to Page & Jones, Inc. They are the agents for Carnival in Mobile.

I'm with you 100% I wrote it up on my comment card, because I had heard that they had the same problum with the Fantasy.

I myself would not have parked there. I would have driven around and come back in line to the terminal. Our out of town people don't know this. Maybe they will read these boards. Anything I can do to help make Mobile a GREAT cruise port I will be happy to do.

Bandit

RJ7591: I'm sorry to indicate that by getting to the Civic Center after boarding begins that you will be picked up promptly. I am aware of your two hour wait. I have notified my travel agent in Mobile that that is not acceptable. It has been mentioned twice lately in the Mobile Press. This is something that the Terminal Operators need to work on.

Bandit

Not a problem Bandit! We enjoy cruising out of Mobile and have never had any problems before! Hopefully this thread will simply inform future cruisers of what could happen so they aren't blindsided like we were.

We will be cruising in July and are wondering if there is a seperate drop-off area at the terminal in Mobile. We live 50 miles away and we will have someone drop us off at the terminal in the morning. I hope we don't have to wait with all the folks wanting to park in the garage? Last year we cruised out of Port Canaveral and it was a snap getting dropped off!

Bandit or anyone else who live or have visited Mobile: Any hotels you can recommend that is by the port? Nothing fancy......

Thanks,

Mom

The Renaissance Riverview Plaza and the Hampton Inn (Royal St) would both be good choices and both have cruise parking packages. The Renaissance has a covered parking deck and the Hampton has an open lot. The Hampton Inn is less than 2 years old but the Renaissance was recently rennovated. If you want a view of the port in the morning the Renaissance would be the better choice, just ask for a room with a view of the cruise terminal/ship.

Archived