dangers of snorkeling

jo44

We were in Freeport a few decades ago & they closed down a beach because of the large number of "Portugues Man O'War's".

I didn't have a clue what they were till I saw a large number that had washed up on the beach. It was reported that one young girl had managed to get half a dozen stings & was in the hospital at that time. The authorities seemed to treat them with great respect.

• 6 months later...

I have had the privilege of snorkeling in many places in the world ...my favorite being Eilat Israel off the Coral reef

THat being said .I have seen scary things ...lion fish -they look like chicken with their feathery tentacles -sting is very painful ..my ignorance of that fact was blissful .I just enjoyed watching them .They are very graceful

Also saw Morey eel .not pretty ,stone fish -real ugly

Saw a school of squids-cuttlefish that put on a light and color show -I did not know that comes BEFORE an attack.The colors were amazing

Saw a bIG BLUE shadow under me in Brewers Bay Tortola my reaction was to not move ...saw its tail swim away ....yeah a shark ..it SPOOKED me I got out of Water FAST .We were far from shore ..but he did not bother me

My son got stung by Jelly fish a few times ...vinegar is 1 remedy

I will pack meat tenderiser this time

Barracuda came up to me and smiled.at me right up close and uncomfortable......his dentist would have been proud ...I left FAST

My rule DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING NOR PUT YOUR FEET DOWN ANYWHERE .I wear fins or shoes .My son snorkels barefoot ..i don't really like that...

I still love to snorkel yes fish have bitten me ..they seem to like behind my knees but my fears have not stopped me yet although that shark encounter has left me VERY NERVOUS ..but hey I love the ocean...

Michele

If you plan on snorkeling on a regular basis, I suggest a dive skin. It will protect your body from the sun and protect you if you come in contact with rocks, fire coral, jelly fish, etc. Plus if you ever get into scuba diving, it is easier and more sanitary to put on a wet suit with the dive skin. Just my opinion.

I will be snorkelling at a few places in May--if by some chance I do get stung by a jellyfish-is there anything that should be done to treat it-or just let the pain flow?

I've always been told to use white vinegar on jellyfish stings. I bring some in my gear bag as well. Never had to use it, but I've seen other divers pour it over their skin.

If you have a bad skin reaction, often benadryl helps, although it may make you drowsy.

I've never seen a "big shark," but lots of small ones. Barracuda are much scarier looking, because they swim around with their mouths open and you see all those teeth. But as another poster said, if you're the biggest creature on the reef, you don't have much to worry about. Just watch out for that snorkeler in front of you kicking you in the face . . .

Archived