Rum Point Beach to Stingray city??

BonnieVA

Oops ... I just found my answer: Yes, Red Sail Sports offers trips to Stingray City from Rum Point.

Has anyone ever taken this excursion? How long does the trip to/from Rum Point last? What did you think of it & the crew?

While the Red Sail folks out at Rum Point are terrific, you'd have to rent a car to get to Rum Point, which is a 45 minute drive each way, then you'd have to pay for the Stingray City excursion as well. I also don't know if the timing would work out...I think they only offer the excursion at certain times a day.

If you want an excursion that includes both Rum Point and the stingrays, you might be better off looking into the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion, which I think is through Nativeway (I've never taken it myself). A lot of reviews of it have been posted here, so a quick search should find you all the info you need.

While the Red Sail folks out at Rum Point are terrific, you'd have to rent a car to get to Rum Point, which is a 45 minute drive each way, then you'd have to pay for the Stingray City excursion as well. I also don't know if the timing would work out...I think they only offer the excursion at certain times a day.

If you want an excursion that includes both Rum Point and the stingrays, you might be better off looking into the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion, which I think is through Nativeway (I've never taken it myself). A lot of reviews of it have been posted here, so a quick search should find you all the info you need.

Thanks for the tip on Nativeway. I'm looking into it now. I had thought about the timing (& added expense). I would like to see more of the island & if we did the Nativeway we would miss out on the island. BUT ... I'd be able to do the stingrays AND Rum Pt. I've gotta inestigate more...!

Red Sail does offer a Glass Bottom Boat tour to the Stingray Sandbar with departures from Rum Point. The trip makes a stop at teh sandbar as a stop at a site for snorkeling, usually at Coral Gardens. You can't really see much through the glass bottom when the boat is moving as the turbulence stirs up bubbles under the boat.

Most days Capt Jimmy is at the helm. He is a Caymanian old timer who truly loves what he does. He does, however, operate in his own little time zone - Captain Jimmy Non-Standard Time. Trips often depart late and more often get back later. A scheduled 90 minute tour may run as long as two hours. Your trip will be at least the advertised 90 minutes (from dock departure back to the dock).

Departure times are usually 9:30am, 11:15am, 1:30pm, and 3:30pm. Not all trip times will run every day. Trips do not run on Sundays.

We just took the Native Way RRR tour last week. It was great. You can see Rum Point from the sandbar where you pet the stingrays, about 10-15 minutes to run the boat over there. Our ship was in port from 7am to 4pm and the tour was from 9 to 2:30 or so. We had about 2 hours at Rum Point, about a half hour with the stingrays and a couple of hours combined at two snorkeling sites, one with a flat sandy bottom and lots of starfish and conch and a couple of rays swimming by and the other a reef with fish and lobsters and eel. Rum Point was amazing, beautiful beach, good food, nice bar, very private. We were very lucky to be the only ship in port that day and there were only 5 of us on the tour. But we saw buses leaving for other tours absolutely packed with people. It was very laid back and easy. Highly recommend it.

Thanks for the tip on Nativeway. I'm looking into it now. I had thought about the timing (& added expense). I would like to see more of the island & if we did the Nativeway we would miss out on the island. BUT ... I'd be able to do the stingrays AND Rum Pt. I've gotta inestigate more...!

We did RRR thru Native Way http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/ a few weeks ago and we actually saw quite a bit of the island---in our van on the way to the yacht club one of the crew members sat in back with us and pointed out new construction and parts of town that were being rebuilt after some recent hurrican damage, chatted with us about the cost of homes and gas etc, the way of life etc...then on our tour boat they go nice and slow thru the canal that leads away from the yacht club and that's where you ooooh and aaaah over the gorgeous caribbean mansions. Then on the way back we were in a private car and Sharon from Native Way showed us all kinds of places on the way back to the pier. I don't feel like we totally missed out on seeing the island doing RRR, I think the only way we could have seen more would have been to forego our excursion altogether and just rent a car and wing it, but it was more important to me to see the 'rays, snorkel the reef and then relax at RUm Point. To us RRR was the perfect way to spend our day on Grand Cayman.

Whatever you decide to do, ENJOY :)

Archived