Are crocs safe for cave tubing?

Jeanne B

DH is determined to wear his crocs on our cave tubing excursion. He loves them for their comfort and he wears them almost entirely on our vacations (except for in the dining room during cruises :)). Based on what I've read it looks like the one mile walk in should be fine but are there any rocks we would have to be walking over in the water? That's what concerns me since as some of you may know, they're not good on slippery surfaces.

These are what he has, they're the "Off Road" style (I think he's taking the Off Road a little too seriously :rolleyes:) and the strap tightens up so they wouldn't be loose but that's not my concern.

crocs190627_99415_lg.jpg

Just got back from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas and did the cave-tubing in Belize. There were several people that wore crocs. The hike in is on a nice rock path, so as long as he is comfortable walking distances in them, he should be fine. A short way in to the hike, you have to walk across the water, but that is no big deal. There really isn't any place where he would have to walk on wet slippery rocks. I had a great time...the only bad part was I was shivering cold while we were going through the cave...was definitely glad I wore water shorts and a t-shirt over my swimsuit.:D

On our cave tubing tour last week, I noticed many folks who were wearing their crock shoes and didn't seem to have any problem wearing them for the walk to the tubing site. In fact our guide was wearing them and a gal from our group who was wearing flip flops rented some shoes which ended up being crocks. Also I would suggest wearing a tshirt while tubing, it does get alittle cool in the caves.

I wore my Crocs when I went cave tubing last summer and they were incredibly comfortable during the walk, stayed on while tubing and best of all cleaned up by rinsing them off with water. The day we went it had rained earlier and the trail was very muddy. I didn't slip around at all. The walk across the rocks in the river wasn't difficult at all. Have fun!

Archived