Cartegena in WC

willieg

I need some information about the port area in Cartagena. I understand that to get from the ship to the port building there is a shuttle. Is that shuttle accessible? If not, how far is it to the duty free area in the port building?

A lot depends on where the ship docks. There are so many docks in that area, and there's no telling where you'll be. We docked in Cartegena for a cruise last December and then last month. Both times we were in different docks. If you're at the closer one, it's a fairly decent walk, maybe around 10 minutes. If you're at the other dock, it's over a mile. The shuttles are not accessible at all, they're old school buses. If you leave the port area, be careful. To be honest, I have absolutely no idea why cruise ships are stopping there. The crime is bad and they are warning you like crazy to be careful, not to get into just any taxi and not leave the tourist spots or main shopping area. It's just not a safe city IMHO>

They are stopping at Cartagena again because our State Department and the Colombian government have deemed it safe. If you simply take the precautions you would in any other port and be aware of your environment you will have no trouble. We have been there 4 times already and are booked on Radiance OTS stopping there on a Panama Canal repositioning. It is a fascinating city - much of the colonial past of the Spanish Main days still exists within the massive city walls - Cartagena, like Havana was one of Spains major colonial ports. Many of the old dungeons within the walls have been converted to tourist shops. And the old cathedral and hospital and goverment buildings still remain. Outside the walls is the new Cartagena, with high rise apartments, hotels and office buildings in sharp contrast to the old city. If you are taking a taxi to sightsee, be sure to get one inside the port facilities - there is a tourist office there with posted prices and all the drivers speak a reasonable amount of English. Best buys are Colombian coffee and emeralds!!

I was on Radiance OTS in Nov. & we stopped here. I'm a power WC user. I was told by RCI that there are no WC accessible tours. They also said it was not safe to ride my WC from the pier to the shopping area & that there are no WC taxis. There is no shopping on the pier since we docked in a secure commercial area of the port. I don't think things would have changed much since Nov. Just be safe! If you use a folding manual WC you may be able to hire a taxi. The shopping area is 2 floors with no elevator. That's just the way things are!

:)HAPPY CRUSING:)

Fil

Thanks everyone. I talked with the shore excursion people on a cruise last month. They did not have any suggestions for Cartagena. I believe that there will be two ships docked--one Celebrity and one RCI. She did not encourage us to leave the area. I was hoping that we could roll over to the duty free area, at least. When we get on the ship in April I will talk with her again.

I wish that the cruise lines had a minimum standard for facilities for the disabled in the ports.

Archived