Help - Tender rules for Princess

nkbrkr6

The attached pictures are of my daughter using the stairclimber in Tortola because the ramp was to steep for her manual chair. They carried her manual chair up the stairs. She hates using the stairclimber because she says it is scary and it hurts.

100_0130.jpg.1c72a778861b8182459de6fc312ba67c.jpg

100_0131.jpg.6cb97dfd27155feb61c07e7dd4986b9d.jpg

I have not sailed on princess yet but have been thinking of trying a different line (so far have only sailed carnival). Under this no scooter policy, does it apply even if you have a family member or companion that helps with your scooter? I can understand that they could say it is a risk for the crew to lift the scooter, but if you are able to walk onto the tender and have someone with you willing to carry your scooter, will they allow it? If not, princess will not be a line I would consider.

I am looking for copies of anything in writing that details this new "policy", since I could find nothing on the Princess website. If you can provide links or a scanned copy of Patters, etc. I would much appreciate it. You can send it to my e-mail: splinter@spinalinjury.net

Thanks!

When you get them will you please post it.

I was on Carnival Pride in Jan 2008 and was refused assistance down the stairs to the tender platform. I was allowed to proceed only if my family members could assist me. My cabinmate and another friend helped me down the stairs and then carried my small 73# scooter down. The tender crew had no problem helping me onto the tender and then my scooter.

I thought the goal was to become more sensitive to the needs of those with mobility issues. Where are the lifts that bypass the stairs? Especially on newer ships? It seems to me that rather than denying assistance to all scooters and wheelchairs, there might be a size and / or weight limit for manual handling of them.

I took the Amazon cruise in April 2006 on Regal Princess and got off at every port except Boca da Valerio with no problems. (Devil's Island tender port was skipped due to rough water) My scooter also went with me on the Amazon river boat. I did leave it behind on the floating dock when I transferred to the motorized canoe to go into the flooded forest. The tour company assisted me in and out of the canoe.

• 1 month later...
I have it in writing on the front page of our Patter at each tendered port, that no wheelchairs or scooters were allowed on the tenders.

We are booked on Princess for the TA via Iceland Greenland. I know there are tender ports. My husband uses a small 'travelling w/c' as he can't walk too far - he's in his '80s and has heart problems - we just got off an NCL TA and had no problem with them letting him take his w/c- he can walk up and down the stairs to the tender. Now I am wondering if we have to cancel with Princess. Does anyone use one of these small w/cs?

I am a paraplegic and use a manual wheelchair. We have been on 5 Princess cruises with several tender ports and have never had a problem. The crew has been very accomodating. Now Cunard............

TheRoff- I am a para too and am considering Cunard can you elaborate on your statement

With Princess' new policies I do not know why anyone who uses a wheelchair or scooter would sail with them.

TheRoff- I am a para too and am considering Cunard can you elaborate on your statement

With Princess' new policies I do not know why anyone who uses a wheelchair or scooter would sail with them.

I don't think Princess has a new policy. When we were in Tortola where the grade of the ramp was steep my oldest had to use the chair climber. I have seen and talked to others who have sailed recently and there was nothing about wheelchairs not being able to use tenders.

The new policy went into effect in Feb 2008, so any experiences prior to this are really not valid for this discussion.

That's just it I don't think there is a new policy. Princess says there isn't and it's not posted in the new patters I've seen or asked people to check for me. Anytime the ramp is to steep and has to be made into stairs the stair climber has to be used. I've heard from people that have taken their chairs on the tenders since Feb so I think that one cruise was that way for what ever reason the Captain decided to do it.

The QM2 has an elevator to the tender platform for the disabled.

• 11 months later...

While on the Ruby Princess in March 2009 I was denied access to the tender, unless I could walk on, at Grand Cayman and Princess Cay. Seas were calm on both days. I use a manual wheelchair and had never been denied access to tendered ports on 11 previous Princess cruises. I met with two of the ships officers and was told that all of the previous ships officers were wrong in allowing me access before! Unbelievable! They showed me a copy of the same policy that has been in Princess brochures for the past 12 years that states the captain "may" deny access, not "will" deny. I have written Princess to complain and for clarification of their wheelchair tendering policy.

While on the Ruby Princess in March 2009 I was denied access to the tender, unless I could walk on, at Grand Cayman and Princess Cay. Seas were calm on both days. I use a manual wheelchair and had never been denied access to tendered ports on 11 previous Princess cruises. I met with two of the ships officers and was told that all of the previous ships officers were wrong in allowing me access before! Unbelievable! They showed me a copy of the same policy that has been in Princess brochures for the past 12 years that states the captain "may" deny access, not "will" deny. I have written Princess to complain and for clarification of their wheelchair tendering policy.

• 6 months later...

I got off the Crown Princess on November 21, 2009. I also own a travelscoot. This is an area where the travel scoot shines. We tendered in Grand Cayman, Roatan and Princess Cay. At each stop I was directed to a small elevator from the fourth (where the AB passengers went down a set of steps) to the third level. At the third level of the ship I was the last person assisted into the tender. Finally my scooter was loaded on the tender. This was reversed at the dock where the scooter was first off and them me. You will need to do a few steps on the tender to get down to the seats. There are places to hold on. Depending on the tide you may have to navigate portable steps at either end of the tender process (note steps are my biggest problem). However there are two or three people who provide assistance here.

AmpleThanks, katisdale... that's encouraging to hear. Hopefully, policy will be the same on Ruby Princess.

OT question: Once ashore at Princess Cays, how much were you able to use your TravelScoot? Are there level paved walkways everywhere? Were you able to easily get to a cabana, restrooms, lunch, anything else?

(If you prefer you can email a reply to sunflower dot coach at gmail dot com.)

At each stop I was directed to a small elevator from the fourth (where the AB passengers went down a set of steps) to the third level. At the third level of the ship I was the last person assisted into the tender.

Katisdale was this one of the normal passenger elevators or was it (normally) for crew? We will be on Golden in March, with my 'Scoot. Lahaina is a tender port.:)

Marlee

It is normally a crew elevator and very small. Just room enough for two or three people. Princess Cay has some concrete walkways and some somewhat packed sand walkways and just plain sand. The plain sand is a "no go". I would recommend against renting one of the blue cabanas. When you get off the tenders you must turn right and go over a bridge (with steps) to reach the cabana area. There is plenty of seating both in the shade and in the sun if you turn right. They do have a few beach wheelchairs (I've had a bad experience with these and don't use them) and will take you to a lounger but then you have to get out so someone else can do a transfer. When you want to move, go to the bar-b-q, restroom, etc. you need to ask for the chair. Now if you stay off the beach you can use the scooter elsewhere.

We have tendered twice at Princess Cay (although not since Nov. '07). DH is quad in manual wheelchair, unable to stand or walk at all. We found it was possible to get down to the little covered dock over the water. There was a small patch of loose sand but mostly fairly hard-packed. A couple of fellow passengers volunteered to help us push through the sand to the dock. We swiped a couple of bread rolls from the buffet, and were able to feed fish and watch them eat the little bits. Lots of fun. Plenty of places to "park" in shade and/or in sun to just hang out and chill. The lunch buffet was wonderful!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the 3-day Ruby Princess sampler. After having been to Princess Cays 2 or 3 times before, we fully expected to be allowed to tender -- but (as some of you have said earlier) they absolutely refused to take my DH unless he could walk a few steps (IF ONLY!) Talked to several different people but no dice. Weather and sea conditions were not a factor. It wasn't the end of the world -- there wouldn't have been much to do on shore anyway. We enjoyed a nice quiet day on board. Our cabin was great, and other accessibility (such as automatic doors in public areas) was a treat. We still like Princess. We are going to Alaska next August -- only 1 tender port, so if we go with no expectations, we won't be too disappointed.

BUT -- can anyone tell me about tendering on other cruise lines? I can go back and search this board, but am a little lazy right now!

Archived