DCL for 1st time

the_great_one

Hello, my wife and I and kids (1 year, 3 years and 6 years) are looking forward to taking the Magic to Mexico in July. Never cruised as a family before and have some questions:

- travel insurance is a must with the kids but all the quotes are so high; does anyone know of any reasonable companies?

- are we usually able to switch our dining to our waitlisted preference?

- is Palo better for brunch or dinner, or do both one time each?

- I heard something about the kids being able to receive character postcards in advance of sailing?

- any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Drew

Hi,

once you get on the ship go directly to Rock n bar D. They let you try and change your dining times then if you need to. Also if you cant get Palos on line reserved you can make those reservatons there too.

when you check in at the terminal they will give you a paper that will tell you this. Try to arrive early so you can be an early border because the sooner you can check with them upon boarding the better your chances of changing times.

here are a few tips for a DCL cruise, I hope they help you some.

1.early arrival gets an early boarding pass number.

2.terminal opens 10 a.m.

3.boarding starts around 11:30 to noon.

4.keep camera with you at ALL times, even in the terminal. characters will appear there for photos. ourdoor viewing area of the ship for photos.

5 check in at kids club table while waiting to board ship. saves you time on the ship.

6. take a few ones. some for room service tips some to tip porters who take your bags at the termnal. $1 per bag is customary.

7. take small bills for the islands. many small shops dont have change.

8. if your going to use your credit card on the islands, call your CC company first and tell them or you will have to wait on a phone call to ok all your purchases. This is a big hassle and can take 30 minutes or more.

9. most shops who take credit cards, require a $20 minimum purchase.

10 take camera to dinner each night, surprizes happen all the time. You wont be alone. you will even see cam corders at dinner.

11. arrive at all shows 20 minutes early for good seats.

12. arrive at character meets 10 minutes early

13 Princess meets arrive 15 minutes early

14. on Castaway cay if you want your photo taken with Captain Jack Sparrow, do NOT ride the tram to the beach area. It does NOT stop near him. You must walk in to the beach signs say 20 minute walk in it takes us 10 minutes. he will be along the way in the sand and photo has the flying Dutchman behind you, great photo! Check navigator for times he will be there.

15 There are characters along the way to the beach, ok to ride the tram for this. Lines are short and move quickly so it is a great opportunity to see characters without lines. check navigator for times and places.

16 also characters appear at the gazebo near cookies BBQ on the island during the day.

17 adult only beach has it's own area for lunch they often have steaks or lobster there as a special treat for the grown ups. But Cookies BBQ by family beach has more variety of other foods.

18 dont ,miss the good bye late the last night in the atrium. ALL the characters will line up on the stairs and will pose for photos for you. This farwell party is really nice and fun.

19 check for photos everyday at shutters. buy a package deal and save $$ if you dont buy enough photos for the package deal they will refund you the difference at the end of your cruise .

or if you buy a photo and then decide the next day you see one you want more, just bring back the one you bought and the receipt and tell them you want to exchange it and they will be happy to do this for you.

20. you can order warm chocolate chip cookies or Mickey ice cream bars from room service even though it is not on the menu. The warm cookies are available in the evenings only

21. bring 2 white pillowcases or a matte style picture frame in a zip lock baggie with water proof markers and leave at guest services desk ask to be autographed and it will be returned to you the last night all signed by the characters. I also add a card with my name and room number on it just in case their card gets lost. I like to use dark colored markers, the light colors dont show up as well.

22. If you need to change dining times or make a Palos reservation go to Wave Bands club directly upon boarding to take care of this. The sooner you do it the better your chances of getting what you want.

23. I fyou have kids leave a wake up call and then let them answer the phone. It will surprize the because Mickey will be on the phone telling them it is time to get up.

24 Afternoon matinees of the shows are great to see. They are the exact same show, they leave out nothing but it is less crowded and kids arnt as tired, plus it makes for a more leisurely evening. No need to rush to or from the shows due to your dinner time.

25. Pop is free in all restaurants and at the drink station on deck 9. But if you order it from waiter or buy at a lounge or bar you will be charge for it plus a gratuity.

26. stop by the drink station and grab a drink to take with you to the shows or movies instead of buying a can a pop there. If you want a snack stop and grab pizza or hot dogs or fruit on deck 9 to take with you. again save money over buying a bunch of snacks for the kids.

27.At dinner kids can order from both the kids or adult menu.

28. The BBQ at the adult beach often has a fewer choices than Cookies BBQ on the family side but they often will have steak or lobster for the adults only BBQ. That is a nice perk.

29. No need to book floats and bikes ahead of time for Castaway Cay. They have tons of them. wait until you get there to make sure your really going to need the floats or have time to ride the bikes before renting them. we always just walk up and do it at the beach.

30. If you want to do the banana boat ride or the ski do(eco tour) I would book ahead of time. They do often have last minute openings so dont be afraid to ask when you arrive if you didnt book it and decided you'd like to do it.

31. if you rent bikes there are 2 nice trails just off the runway. The first one will have an observation tour. It has a great view of the island and ship. Bring your camera for this!! while up in the tower be sure and look around the base area of the tower. There are some whimsical things to see there too.

32. all the trails have ice cold water in big yellow barrels in wooden framed stands, so no need to carry your own unless you want to.

hope this gives you some new information to help with your cruise

I would do both dinner and brunch at Palos. Both are awesome!!!

If you have any other questions please ask,

mom x4,grandma x4

sorry I dont know about insurance, we never took it out.

- travel insurance is a must with the kids but all the quotes are so high; does anyone know of any reasonable companies?

- I heard something about the kids being able to receive character postcards in advance of sailing?

Drew

Drew,

Try insuremytrip.com They have one company (maybe Travelguard?) where the kids are insured for free. Just compare the different companies and policies and you should find it.

You should clear the waitlist for dining. If not, go to the change dining location as soon as you get on the ship to see if you can get it changed then. They will give you a sheet that will indicate where dining change requests will be located. Ask any crew member how to get to that location.

If you like seafood, the brunch is to die for! If not, I would say skip it. Dinner is very good too!

I don't know anything about character postcards ahead of time. We have never received anything like that in 5 DCL cruises.

Have a great time!

UMTerp

Thank you for the great info but I am confused about where to go once we board. Is it Rock n bar D or Wave Bands to see about waitlisted dining and Palos? Each is mentioned and I am guessing that as a first time cruiser by the time I check in online our requests will be filled.

Do the 1st and 2nd seating times only apply to dinner in the main dining room? Are breakfast and lunch just open seating at 1 set time? Do all 3 meals each day switch dining rooms so each day each meal is in the same room which is different from the day before?

With young kids, would it be better for my wife and I to catch the shows earlier with the kids and then we can eat later at the 2nd feeding when the kids are in the clubs or should we all eat together in the 1st seating? I guess I want some meals with my wife so we can relax but some with the kids so we can take in their excitement.

Are the prepaid tips only for the main dining room staff so I need to tip separate and at the time of service for room service, buffets, Palo, etc.? If I don't prepay, do I give cash the last morning to everyone?

Is the awesome info you provided applicable for this summer's L.A. cruises as well (terminal/boarding times, etc.)?

I have heard that disembarking is not like other cruises in terms of calling you out and kicking you off; is this true? When do we have to be off the ship?

I know soda and milk are free at the station on deck 9, but what about from room service or in the dining room?

Is the baby nursery open other hours for free time? Not that I want to drop off our baby there the whole cruise, but only 10 hours of babysitting for a 7 day cruise seems rather limiting.

Thanks so much for reading and any help. I apologize for rambling; we're not leaving for another 4 months so you can imagine how crazed I'll be by then....

Be well,

Drew

I can't answer all your questions but I will answer a few. Also, you seem to really like the planning stage of cruising (me too), you have a lot of good questions. I would like to direct you to www.passporter.com. They are releasing a new DCL version mid-March. This book will answer just about any question you can think of.

Thank you for the great info but I am confused about where to go once we board. Is it Rock n bar D or Wave Bands to see about waitlisted dining and Palos? Each is mentioned and I am guessing that as a first time cruiser by the time I check in online our requests will be filled.
Rockin' Bar D is on the Magic and WaveBands is on the Wonder. That's why you see both mentioned.

Do the 1st and 2nd seating times only apply to dinner in the main dining room? Are breakfast and lunch just open seating at 1 set time? Do all 3 meals each day switch dining rooms so each day each meal is in the same room which is different from the day before?
Rotational dining only applies to dinner (and breakfast on debarkation day). You can bypass the regular rotation and choose room service, snack counters or a buffet (if open that night).

With young kids, would it be better for my wife and I to catch the shows earlier with the kids and then we can eat later at the 2nd feeding when the kids are in the clubs or should we all eat together in the 1st seating? I guess I want some meals with my wife so we can relax but some with the kids so we can take in their excitement.
This is a personal preference. The earlier seating is most popular with families and young children as well as those who like to get to sleep early. If you have early seating you will see the evenings show after dinner, if you have late seating you will see the show before dinner. Many people like to order a snack from room service before heading to the show if you have a late seating.

Are the prepaid tips only for the main dining room staff so I need to tip separate and at the time of service for room service, buffets, Palo, etc.? If I don't prepay, do I give cash the last morning to everyone?
Tipping is expected for the Dining Room Server, Server assistant, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess. Room service is typically $1 a tray. No need to tip at the buffets. If you dine at Palo they will charge $15 a piece automatically to your stateroom. If you receive exceptional service you can also tip a bit after dining. Also, don't forget the baggage porters at the terminal..$1-2 per bag. If you don't prepay you can give cash in the tip envelopes that will be left in your stateroom on the last day.

I know soda and milk are free at the station on deck 9, but what about from room service or in the dining room?
Food and basic drinks (coffee, tea, milk, juice) are free but all other beverages carry an extra charge.

Most of my answers I got from reading the Passporter books.

Have fun Drew

--Shayne

We have received a few post cards from "Mickey" ... one for our whole family soon after we booked. And then a week or so ago, both my boys got a post card from Mickey telling them how excited they were to have the boys come on the big boat! We have them on our fridge! The boys were so excited!!

Hello, my wife and I and kids (1 year, 3 years and 6 years) are looking forward to taking the Magic to Mexico in July. Never cruised as a family before and have some questions:

- any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Drew

we use http://www.insuremytrip.com and picked Travelex lite insurance. It covers kids 16 and under for free. It also provides primary coverage instead of secondary so if you need to use it they pay first.

Bill

In reading one of the above posts about tipping I did see something that needs to be clarified.

Tipping for your dining staff and room host is done the last night on the ship, NOT the last day or last morning.

On DCL the last dinner on the ship they wait staff will parade around the dining room carrying flags from their native countries at the dessert course.

This give everyone a chance to applaud in appreication for their service to you. after this your wait staff will come over and thank you for allowing them to serve you and shake your hands, at that point people hand them their tip envelopes, finish dessert and leave.

room host if you see them as your heading out to dinner, as you often do inthe hall you can hand them their envelope and thank them or if you dont see them as you head out to dinner it is customary to leave the envelope on the bed with a thankyou be side it and they will get it as they turn down your bed while your at dinner.

I have been on 17 DCL cruises and it has always been this way.

mom x4,grandma x4

You all are the best! Thanks so much for tolerating my incessant questions. I do like to plan ahead so it will be a smooth sail for my wife and kids, but to some it borders on neurotic so what can you do, right?

Speaking of the Mrs., her birthday falls on the Tuesday after we set sail on the Sunday 2 days before. I hope to book Palo for that Tuesday for a special dinner and my travel agent suggested we do birthday cake on the Monday before. But it seems as if that will be Formal Night since it's the 2nd night, right? Is that OK to do it then? Don't wanna ruin the fancy mood with singing waiters....

Re. the tips ... how much does DCL tip for you if you choose to prepay or do you give them an amount? If we prepay, do we just hand the 3 dining room folks and our room host an envelope with a receipt inside listing the amount? And aside from those 4 folks, I only need cash for tips for the baggage guys (at both arrival and departure?), Palo and room service?

Re. Palo ... are the options either dinner, brunch and/or tea for a 7 night cruise? Are they each limited to only 1 time each per passenger? Do they each cost $15 per passenger?

I have heard that disembarking is not like other cruises in terms of calling you out and kicking you off; is this true? When do we have to be off the ship?

Is the baby nursery open other hours for free time? Not that I want to drop off our baby there the whole cruise, but only 10 hours of babysitting for a 7 day cruise seems rather limiting.

Is anyone familiar with the Los Angeles departures to Mexico? Do we sail out of Long Beach or San Pedro, when does the terminal open and when does the actual boarding begin?

"We have received a few post cards from "Mickey" ... one for our whole family soon after we booked. And then a week or so ago, both my boys got a post card from Mickey telling them how excited they were to have the boys come on the big boat! We have them on our fridge! The boys were so excited!"

That's what I'm talking about ... how did this come to be?

Looking forward to your replies and again many thanks for your help!!!

Drew

Do you have to tip in cash? Is there an option to auto-tip the recommended amounts and it's added to your shipboard account?

you can go to guest services desk and they will add the tips to your account and they will give you a receipt to put in the envelopes at the end of the cruise to hand out if you request it.

mom x4,grandma x4

You all are the best! Thanks so much for tolerating my incessant questions. I do like to plan ahead so it will be a smooth sail for my wife and kids, but to some it borders on neurotic so what can you do, right?

Planning is half the fun of the cruise

Speaking of the Mrs., her birthday falls on the Tuesday after we set sail on the Sunday 2 days before. I hope to book Palo for that Tuesday for a special dinner and my travel agent suggested we do birthday cake on the Monday before. But it seems as if that will be Formal Night since it's the 2nd night, right? Is that OK to do it then? Don't wanna ruin the fancy mood with singing waiters....

Formal night varies according to which cruise you have booked.On the Eastern it is sunday, dont know which night on the other cruises. having a cake on formal night is no problem, it happens all the time.

Re. the tips ... how much does DCL tip for you if you choose to prepay or do you give them an amount? If we prepay, do we just hand the 3 dining room folks and our room host an envelope with a receipt inside listing the amount? And aside from those 4 folks, I only need cash for tips for the baggage guys (at both arrival and departure?), Palo and room service?

The suggested tips average $10 or $11 per person per day and you can do that or tell them an exact amount and that is what they will charge to your account.

Your correct for the cash needed on board, if your going to do a laundry you will need cash and if your mailing post cards from CC you will need cash in their post office too.

On the islands bring small bills because many dont have change, if you plan on a credit card for souvenirs on the islands remember that not all places accept CCards and most have a $20 minimum if you use them. Also tell your CC company that you will be using them at these places or it will often get rejected and then you have to call and get the ok which can take along time and be a real pain to do.

Re. Palo ... are the options either dinner, brunch and/or tea for a 7 night cruise? Are they each limited to only 1 time each per passenger? Do they each cost $15 per passenger?

Each guest can do a dinner and brunch. tea with Alice is a separate reservation, go to guest services the first day for reservations for tea.

. Then you can be put on a list in case an opening occurs during the week and you can do it again if you want to. There are always some cancellations.It is $15 per person and people often leave some extra cash on the table for extra special service they receive.

it is great on DCL. You have an assigned time for breakfast in a dining room the last day according to your dinner rotation. You take your carry off luggage with you and when your done you just walk off the ship.

You can also opt for the buffet even though it wont be listed on the paper they give you. the food is the same and it is much faster if your in a hurry or you can easily relax a bit and savor the last few minutes on board at the buffet. If you go to the dining rooms your waiters will be rushed to serve you and be getting ready for the next guests. Often people complain the wait staff isnt as firendly and dont joke around that last morning and people get upset about it, but they dont realize these people only have a short few hours to turn things around for the next guests, they have many more duties besides waiting on you. so we go to the buffet, eat leisurley and walk right off the ship, grab the luggage and leave.

you are suppose to be out of your room by 8 and off the ship by 9

10 hours is the limit , how ever many times they will have extra hours where nobody has reserved and you can snatch them up. there are a few hours a week you can take your child to the kids club with you as a supervisor to play in there. usually when the older kids are off to other areas of the ship for other events. Just ask at the kids club desk, the CM's there will tell you the best times to do this, it is up to their disgression.

It is up to you to keep checking back for the extra hours.

Is anyone familiar with the Los Angeles departures to Mexico? Do we sail out of Long Beach or San Pedro, when does the terminal open and when does the actual boarding begin?

sorry, no idea about this

"We have received a few post cards from "Mickey" ... one for our whole family soon after we booked. And then a week or so ago, both my boys got a post card from Mickey telling them how excited they were to have the boys come on the big boat! We have them on our fridge! The boys were so excited!"

It is just a courtesy DCL does for their guests

I dont know the ages of your kids, but if they are old enough, leave a wake up call and let them answer the phone. Mickey is callng with the wake up message.

Drew

Here are the suggested tips:

Restaurant Server $11.00 $14.75 $25.75

Restaurant Asst Serv $ 8.00 $10.75 $18.75

Head Server $ 2.75 $ 3.75 $ 6.50

Stateroom Host/ees $10.75 $14.50 $25.25

Above is what they suggest per person, hope this helps you some,

mom x4,grandma x4

I'll try to answer a few of your questions...

Palo...yes on the 7 day there is dinner, brunch, and tea. Each have the extra charge, but are worth it. If you can, do both dinner and brunch. Palo is amazing, and the brunch...OMG! Yum! It can sometimes be hard to get the nursery during the brunch though, they (Flounder's) aren't open all day.

Speaking of the nursery...10 hours is what you can book in advance. This is so anyone who wants to use the nursery gets a chance to book some time. Usually beginning the second day of the cruise they will allow you to add on hours. Unless there is a really large amount of babies on your cruise, it should be no problem to add time. We have had a child in Flounder's every time we have cruised (6 times) and have always been able to add as many hours as we needed. They are really good at trying to fit you in if you have spa or Palo reservations. You can go to Flounder's soon after boarding to tour the facilities and also change around any of your 10 hours if needed. It is also a good time to let your little one explore a bit so they will feel comfortable going back. They have a one way mirror so you can watch your child after dropping him/her off. It is nice because they can't see you but you can see how they are doing. I think it was harder on me, than on my kids. :) LOL

Postcards...basically, there is a sort of "pay it forward" type of thing that people do on many message boards (maybe this one, I'm not sure??) You can have someone who is cruising sometime before your cruise send a card to your kids...and then when you cruise you can do the same for someone else. I have seen sign up threads about this, but again, not sure if that is how it is done on cruise critic. If you need someone to send one to your kids, LMK. I am leaving on Saturday for our cruise. You (or anyone else reading this in the next couple of days ;) ) can email me at

kensjen2000 (at) yahoo (dot) com

I'd be happy to spread some Mickey Magic! :D

You can do the birthday cake whenever you like....formal night or not, someone will always be singing in the dining rooms. :) Disney is like that. Even formal night is not that formal, in terms of celebrations and all. I think Palo for her birthday is an excellent idea.

HTH a bit!

Just to clarify, High Tea is different from Tea with Alice. I was guessing you were speaking of the High tea for Adults in Palo? (the Tea with Alice is something for the kiddos)

The tea is nice, finger sandwiches, scones, etc...it would be my last choice of meals in Palo. The brunch is a million times better. I don't feel like High Tea is something I'd have to do again, although it can be relaxing and something to do without the kids. But if you were only planning on Palo a couple of times, I'd do dinner and then brunch. You will get way more than your money's worth with those two. The tea...not so much.

And the postcards again...I didn't realize that Disney did this. They have never sent us postcards before for any of our cruises, but maybe it is something you have to ask about. That is great if they do, I'll have to check into it. I've always just had friends send them when they were down in Orlando.

Ask away if you have anymore questions! :)

Thanks for the info, momx4.

I got a postcard from Mickey in the mail with other items in an envelope, a few weeks after booking. This wasn't from a pax but from DCL. It looked like something that's always done, as it came with other info. That'd be great if another came addressed to my daughter before we sail.

Drew

I had our room decorated for my wifes birthday. It also came with a cake.

bd1.jpg

bd2.jpg

bd3.jpg

Bill

I think most of your questions have been answered except about boarding on the West coast. Sorry can't help you on that one. I did want to clarify that soda is FREE at the drink station on deck AND at all meals. It is a great DCL benefit and different from other lines. Just don't order drinks from waiters on deck or bar and you won't pay. Enjoy your trip. We've done 2 DCL cruises with the kids and loved them.:)

• 1 month later...

Can anyone give me an idea of the times of day that Flounder is open for babysitting services? I have only cruised once, on Carnival, and the hours there were from 10PM -2AM. I am hoping for better hours than that with DCL. :confused:

Archived