Ivan, I'm Back!!!!!!

iroyster

My daughter is an EMT in Texas City and has just been called to work a 24 hour shift starting at 7 am tomorrow. Hopefully we'll just get some rain and gusty winds, but the high tide is what everyone's really worried about. 29_1_15.gif

I heard that if it does reform as a tropical storm it'll be named Michael. Let's hope that does not happen!
I just read the following from the National Hurricane Center:

AFTER CONSIDERABLE AND SOMETIMES ANIMATED IN-HOUSE DISCUSSION OF THE DEMISE OF IVAN...IN THE MIDST OF A LOW-PRESSURE AND SURFACE FRONTAL SYSTEM OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES...THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER HAS DECIDED TO CALL THE TROPICAL CYCLONE NOW OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO TROPICAL DEPRESSION IVAN. WHILE DEBATE WILL SURELY CONTINUE HERE AND ELSEWHERE...THIS DECISION WAS BASED PRIMARILY ON THE REASONABLE CONTINUITY OBSERVED IN THE ANALYSIS OF THE SURFACE AND LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION.

I have to wonder about that discussion -- just how "animated" do meteorologists get? Were there debates? Votes (with recounts)? Punches thrown between the Ivan and Michael supporters? :)

Cheers,

Esther

I just read the following from the National Hurricane Center:

AFTER CONSIDERABLE AND SOMETIMES ANIMATED IN-HOUSE DISCUSSION OF THE DEMISE OF IVAN...IN THE MIDST OF A LOW-PRESSURE AND SURFACE FRONTAL SYSTEM OVER THE EASTERN UNITED STATES...THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER HAS DECIDED TO CALL THE TROPICAL CYCLONE NOW OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO TROPICAL DEPRESSION IVAN. WHILE DEBATE WILL SURELY CONTINUE HERE AND ELSEWHERE...THIS DECISION WAS BASED PRIMARILY ON THE REASONABLE CONTINUITY OBSERVED IN THE ANALYSIS OF THE SURFACE AND LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION.

I have to wonder about that discussion -- just how "animated" do meteorologists get? Were there debates? Votes (with recounts)? Punches thrown between the Ivan and Michael supporters? :)

Cheers,

Esther

Esther,

Do you suppose they have "voter punch card" like Flordia had? :eek:

Ira

Maybe they should name reforming Ivan...... Hanging Chad since he wants to stay around for more numbers. I have son in Alabama directing FEMA support to people that need it, and a husband in Florida adjusting insurance losses.

We don't have the ability to sail during hurricane season, but if I did I wouldn't leave home without my insurance policy.

Looking at the pictures from Haiti makes me want to cry! Such poor people that have now had their very humble homes destroyed. Makes me rethink if I should complain about anything.

Heck we just stayed at a Hilton in Fort Worth Texas and my sons truck was broken into. When talking to the Police they told us that numerous events had happened in the area. The adjuster for Hilton wrote me a letter today saying that they didn't have control over the vehicle in their parking lot. They may have not had the keys, but the truck was on their property. They just said that signs were posted that park at your own risk. I would think that anyone sailing during a hurricane season would have some knowledge before booking their cruise, that they might run into a problem with the ports. If not as Hilton wrote us, they didn't have control of your booking until you boarded the ship, once you boarded the ship they kept you as safe as possible.

After this crazy hurricane season, I don't think I will be booking any thing other than Alaska.

Miriam,

We missed the bigger part of the rain from Ivan in this part of the state, Bet you got plenty though.

Ira

Ira, it was unreal!! Eight inches or more of rain. There was nowhere for it to go, so people's houses started flooding! We're still experiencing problems. I was very lucky, I only lost power for an hour and had some water in my basement. Some limbs from the pine trees are down, but not anything to worry about. I'm glad you escaped the worst of it where you are!

Okay, so they kept Ivan's name after all. It won't go away, nor will Jeanne. I like Duracell or Energizer-- it seems appropriate!

Archived