Permission Question

benchmarklearning

Hi CCer's - quick question. We are scheduled for March Mexican riviera cruise. Our fifth cruise but taking DS for his first cruise. He has passport but will we need a permission letter from his biological father to board and leave the country? We have been getting mixed answers. TA says no problem, no letter needed. But, I want to be sure. Do not want to get to ship and turned back because we have no letter.

Thanks!

:D

Hi CCer's - quick question. We are scheduled for March Mexican riviera cruise. Our fifth cruise but taking DS for his first cruise. He has passport but will we need a permission letter from his biological father to board and leave the country? We have been getting mixed answers. TA says no problem, no letter needed. But, I want to be sure. Do not want to get to ship and turned back because we have no letter.

Thanks!

:D

I don't know anything about Mexico, but we have never had a letter from my stepdaughters Mom and we have taken her out of the country. They probably think I am Mom even though I have a diff last name.

Btw, I just took someone else's minor child on a cruise out of Miami (we had notorized letters from both her parents) and we never got stopped by anyone (including Celebrity) and our group had 3 diff last names.

For sure you will need the letter. You may not be asked for it but if you are and do not have it you will not be able to board. This was a big subject that came up for me. With a non-existant father I still needed the letter with 3 teens. I am going Noordam 3/19/08 and it had to cost me money to track him down but I finally got the letter. I called every dept possible, even the man who is charge of boarding ships in New York and it came back to always needing the letter in case your asked. Good luck and enjoy with a safe return. Momee

You received many answers on your other thread about the same subject. If you go without and are denied boarding, what will you do? Call your TA and complain about being given bad info? That will not get you on the ship and your vacation will be ruined.

Several TAs responded to you on the your other thread telling you that you are not getting good info. It is your choice whom to believe. Perhaps this info from HAL's website will put the matter to rest:

"Minors under age 18 traveling to certain foreign countries must be accompanied by both parents or have a notarized letter of consent signed by the parent(s) not traveling. If the other parent is deceased or the child has only one legal parent, a notarized statement must be obtained as proof.

All minors under age 18 must travel with all proper identification requirements in addition to the signed letter of authorization. Minors who are U.S. citizens should have a certified copy of their birth certificate or baptism record for ID. Children over the age of 14 are also required to have a photo ID. If traveling outside of the Western Hemisphere, a passport is required. Your travel agent can provide additional information about this requirement. "

:confused: Why would you take the chance?

Seeing as you have posted this, you are concerned.

Get the letter and be safe. Eliminate stressing about possibly (and there is that real possibility) you could be denied boarding with your son.

You must know deep in yourself, you should have that letter with you. It's the Old Mr. Murphy Rule. If you have it no one will ask for it. If you don't, you could be very disappointed.

Have a great cruise.

Archived