Dancing?

jerblu

I think they have ballroom dancing at the Meet the Captain Reception. I have also taken a dance lessson (group class) while on board. They likely have some additional times with ballroom style dancing but I am not sure on the details. The cruise compass would likely list when/where it would take place each day.

• 1 month later...

We travelled with some fellow Arthur Murray students in 2007, on Royal's Explorer ship and hopped from one dance floor to the next. We found a nice mix of music...mostly Latin in the Aquarium lounge (rumba, salsa, merengue, bachata). We did use the Compass to help find the right music and location to dance and often danced in three spots in one evening. It was a lot of fun for all of us to put our lessons to use. One of our group had never taken a salsa lesson before, so we found him right on the pool deck joining in on the ship's group lesson. At dinner he said that the free pool deck lesson practically paid for the cruise. :)

I just found that info about the dancing competition that another poster mentioned...I'm going to slightly alter the pasted-in text because I hate to totally "lift" someone's article, but I thought you might be interested in the topic.....RCI guests can Rumba, Samba, Cha-Cha, Waltz or Swing into the spotlight in “Invitation to Dance,” the cruise line’s newest show featuring guests as stars aboard Explorer of the Seas. Created with Louis van Amstel, Emmy-nominated choreographer for ABC-TV’s “Dancing with the Stars,” and Cheryl Burke, two-time winner on the show, “Invitation to Dance” takes the world of professional ballroom dancing to the high seas.

Guests sailing on Explorer have the chance to compete for the honor of best ballroom dancers at sea. With the guidance of professional dancers, stylists and make-up artists, guests may just realize their true calling while on vacation.

Now doesn't that sound like fun?

Salsa Dancer

• 1 year later...

I was on Vision of the Seas. Very nice dance floor, and the music group wasn't bad, but the CD only scheduled about one hour of music per night- conflicted with second sitting. There were a few couples who got up and staggered around for a few minutes. They also had a "dance instructor" couple who were terrible- their "Chicago Foxtrot" was actually waltz steps to foxtrot music. And their music had come straight from vinyl records, complete with pops and hisses.

Overall, nice facilities, but a pretty pathetic implementation.

Archived