Snorkeling in Hawaii

iflyrc5

• Administrators
Where are the best snorkeling locations on the Islands?

We love to snorkel. We've done it extensively in the Caribbean and Mexico, and plan to in Europe when we visit there. We're even thinking about a drysuit snorkel in Alaska next summer.

I mention that to say -- we LOVE snorkeling. For Hawaii, after a lot of research, we decided to do ONE snorkel day/excursion, so that we didn't spend the whole time face down, missing what the islands can offer. So we researched extensively, and for us decided that Kealakekua Bay (a/k/a "K Bay") on the Big Island, normally reached from Kona, was what we'd like to do. We aren't zodiac, bouncy rubber boat folks, so we opted for the Fair Wind catamaran that visits K Bay. We were totally satisfied with our choice.

After much research, the only other ones we seriously considered (and your mileage may vary) were: Hanauma Bay on Oahu; Molokini Island snorkel from Maui; Captain Zodiac snorkel (also at K Bay, in that bouncy rubber Zodiac I mentioned). Body Glove also does a ship sponsored excursion to Pawai on the Big Island. On our "next time" list, we'll be doing the Trilogy snorkel to Lanai (on Maui) if it's still offered at that point.

I hope that gives you a place to start. Nobody knows the "true" answer to your original post -- "best" is in the eye of the beholder. I sincerely think what I've listed are some of the most commonly mentioned/recommended snorkel sites in Hawaii from NON-commercially-interested sources. Have fun researching, and know that whatever you decide, Hawaii is so amazing that you likely can't go too far "off." :)

• Administrators
If you want to snorkel off the beach the following website is very informative:

www.hawaiisnorkelingguide.com

Cool site! Thanks for adding it to my Hawaii folder. :)

I will say the site's not a truly "complete" pic of snorkeling in Hawaii -- snorkeling off a beach is frequently either not as wildlife-intensive as snorkeling from a boat (and often doesn't involve a reef at all, which is what fish thrive on), or it's very difficult to manage for beginners (more so that just stepping off a boat). But the site has some cool stuff. Thanks!

We've snorkeled at each of the islands and believe that the fish and turtle sightings and clarity of water is best on the BI. As already mentioned, "K" Bay has terrific snorkeling, and there are also a couple of great spots south of Kona to snorkel from the beach. There are many good spots on the other islands either from the beach or boat. It's all in what you're looking for.

After much research, the only other ones we seriously considered (and your mileage may vary) were: Hanauma Bay on Oahu; Molokini Island snorkel from Maui; Captain Zodiac snorkel (also at K Bay, in that bouncy rubber Zodiac I mentioned). Body Glove also does a ship sponsored excursion to Pawai on the Big Island. On our "next time" list, we'll be doing the Trilogy snorkel to Lanai (on Maui) if it's still offered at that point.

:)

You sound like an avid snorkeler. If that's the case, then forget Molokini and Hanauma Bay. You'll be disappointed. But for someone new to the sport, then it's good enough. Pawai is OK. Do take the Trilogy to Lanai. There may be others who offer snorkeling in Lanai, but the Trilogy is the only one with landing rights. Lanai is privately owned, and access is controlled. There are really only two very expensive hotels there, therefore much less people, and that means corals are healthier in Lanai.

I hope you get to snorkel in Indonesia someday - Komodo, Suwalesi, Raja Ampat. It is the best snorkeling in the world, far better than the Red Sea. Liveaboard is the best way to go. The downside is after you snorkel there, snorkeling in Hawaii or Caribbean just won't do anymore.

• Administrators
You sound like an avid snorkeler. If that's the case, then forget Molokini and Hanauma Bay. You'll be disappointed. But for someone new to the sport, then it's good enough. Pawai is OK. Do take the Trilogy to Lanai. There may be others who offer snorkeling in Lanai, but the Trilogy is the only one with landing rights. Lanai is privately owned, and access is controlled. There are really only two very expensive hotels there, therefore much less people, and that means corals are healthier in Lanai.

I hope you get to snorkel in Indonesia someday - Komodo, Suwalesi, Raja Ampat. It is the best snorkeling in the world, far better than the Red Sea. Liveaboard is the best way to go. The downside is after you snorkel there, snorkeling in Hawaii or Caribbean just won't do anymore.

Thanks for the advice! Indonesia sounds wonderful... and also like something for the "after retirement" list! Fortunately, I have one of those, as well. :) I'm really looking forward to the Trilogy snorkel next time we visit Hawaii; just hope it will still be offered as it will likely be a couple of years before we make it back.

I also agree to forget Molokini and Haunauma Bay. Both over-rated. Although on the way to Molokini 2 weeks ago, we spotted sooo many whales (so close to the snorkelling boat too), that it was awesome!

The stop at Turtle town was by far better than the snorkelling at Molokini.

Snorkelling on Kauai's NaPali Coast is not great either. Although there were a couple of turtles, no fish to really speak of and nothing like Maui's turtle town.

K-Bay was good, but small fish and water was brackish. Only a step above Molokini in my book.

All in all, I'd say my best 'snorkelling' experience was the Hawaii Shark Encounter trip we booked independently on Oahu, on the North Shore. TONS of huge sharks within inches of you. That was amazing!

We too have snorkeled just about everywhere on the islands, and I would have to say the best coral, fish etc. is on Lanai. Triology is a top notch operation and they usually run two trips a day, a morning that includes lunch or a sunset that has dinner. The food is excellent and the service is awesome. They do not however serve alcohol.

Another trip for the more adventure oriented people would be the circumvent Lanai trip. This is on a zodiac and they go to several snorkel spots and deserted beaches. I think they only run this when ocean is fairly calm. We went in October and this was very special and my kids loved it.

Archived