Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

You are welcome. Here are links to two bike shops on the North Shore that I am told by otherwise unreliable sources rent bike. Obsession would be the cloest to get to from the Seabus. I would suggest that you contact them to confirm if in fact they do rent.

http://www.covebike.com/index1.html

http://www.obsessionbikes.com/index.html

Oh Gosh Pd - you aced me - I was just about to post the link for Obsession cycles - I knew the owner when it was Dizzy cycles but I don't know if they are still in business - as for Cove Cycles they are too far away - close to the 2nd Narrows bridge. It actually wouldn't be all that much more if you picked up a bike on the Vancouver side and either ride to Seabus or across the Lions Gate Bridge and onto the trail described below.

"most shops have demo/rental bikes" - this I think you will find at Obsession if I understand their website correctly - do as PD says and email them.

If you do decide to give cycling a go there is a well marked trail - the Trans-Canada trail starts at the Sea bus terminal and works its way up North Vancouver on both gravel and pavement pass the Suspension bridge entrance and then up to the Cleveland Dam where it crosses the dam and heads through West Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay - this while a climb is quiet manageable for those who cycle - it's the portion from the Dam to Grouse that will challenge the best of cyclists - the advantage it's a blast riding down - you could also ride to the Bridge and Dam and then put your bikes on a bus - 2 per bus - for the short ride to Grouse - if you time it right you might still have some time left on your transfer. It is about 8KMs or 5 miles from SeaBus to the Dam.

I will attempt to see if I can find a good link for this portion of the trail - after I return from Fireworks here in Vancouver.

Took in three Canada Day celebrations - a small one on Robson Street - the main one at Canada Place - CTV did their evening news cast from there - it was packed with people and then walked over to Yaletown and met a friend and watched the Yaletown Grand Prix cycle race.

It's a good thing that I am retired for after all the running around today I will need tomorrow to recuperate.

More later

Cheers

Dennis

Actualy Cove is not that bad, all they have to do is catch a #239 bus from the North Shore Seabus terminal that goes to the Phibbs and if it doesn't stop in front of Cove then they can walk back (west) the 2 or 3 blocks. But I do agree, phone or email first to determine availablility.:)

Thank you both, I will call the bike shops tomorrow.

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. I'm finally catching up on this board after some wireless router problems that let me connect to every website except this one!

Can anyone give me info. on a cab from the dock to Butchart Gardens. Easy to get? Fare & distance.

Thanks, Brian.

Hi Brian;

I am going to give you a couple of links to cab companies to see what you can work out with them. The gardens are about 35 to 40 mins from the Ogden Point pier where the cruise ships tie up and I would guess the fare will be about $35/$40 each way. The other matter is that on another post today I read today that the gardens will be closed in the evening come mid-Sept and it appears that you will be there later than that. However the gardens were open in the spring on evenings that cruise ships were in town so it may behoove you to give them a call on their 1800 as well to see if this will be the case in September. Good luck:)

www.taxicab.com/

www.victoriataxi.com/

www.butchartgardens.com/

Thank you for your quick reply. We will be in Victoria from 7am till 4.30pm so will have plenty of time to enjoy the gardens!

I'll call the cab co's Monday, will probably go that way rather than rent a car.

Again,Thanks for the links.

Brian.

Thank you for your quick reply. We will be in Victoria from 7am till 4.30pm so will have plenty of time to enjoy the gardens!

I'll call the cab co's Monday, will probably go that way rather than rent a car.

I didn't realize that you would be there during the day and that being the case then probably you most cost effective way of doing it is via one of the two bus tour companies, Pacific Coach or Grayline, at least one of them runs a bus to the gardens from the bus depot in behind the Empress Hotel. You will find shuttle buses when you get off the ship that will take you to the Empress for $7 pp rtn then you can just walk to the bus depot. You don't want to buy the tour from the tour companies, just the return bus trip.

http://www.graylinewest.com/victoria/

www.pacificcoach.com/

Hi all-

We will be debarking early mornong 9/13/08 and taking the 5pm train to Seattle.

Any tips for where to store luggage so we can take quick tour of Vancouver? Is the Pier best or should we go to the Depot?

We are thinking of taking the Hop on-off Bus so we can get an over view of the city.

Many thanks, Dick & El

Hi all-

Any tips for where to store luggage so we can take quick tour of Vancouver? Is the Pier best or should we go to the Depot?

We are thinking of taking the Hop on-off Bus so we can get an over view of the city.

Many thanks, Dick & El

To my way of thinking to spend the time going over to the Pacific Central Station and back to check baggage is a waste of valuable time. I would be inclined to check mine with CDS Baggage Service at the pier and get on about my tour then pick it up. The hoho Vancouver Trolley is a great way to get a taste of the city and highly recommended. The only thing I would caution you about is to watch your time as you don't want to get trapped in a situation where the trolleys come by full and you can't get back in time to get you bags and get to the train...just be mindfull of this latter in the day.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/trolley_tours.php

Hi all-

Many thanks, Dick & El

I would store the bags at the pier. There is a company right at Canada Place that stores them. I know it was reported on earlier on this thread. Then all you have to do is board the Hop on Hop off bus which has a stop right outside. Enjoy

Probably a silly question but I can't remember if the electric plugs in Canada, specifically Vancouver, are American or English? I'm trying to decide if I need to take the adaptors I took when we visited London.

Thanks

Thanks Putterdude. We were in Montreal a few years ago and that was what wife thought she remembered but I figured I would just check to make sure. We will be arriving at the airport on Wednesday in your town and will leave on the cruise on the Tahitian on Thursday. Then when the ship returns we will spend 3 days at the Westin Bayshore before returning home.

Thanks again for all the good info.

You are more than welcome. Enjoy the Bayshore, it is a great hotel. If there is anything more that we can help you with re excursions, sights to see or restaurants just come on back.....we will leave the porch light on for you.;)

I also wanted to thank all of you Vancouverites for taking the time to answer all of our questions. Very kind indeed!:D Most of my questions have been answered by reading this thread for the last nine months. I would like help in fine tuning. We will be staying at the Blue Horizon on Robson Street the night before our cruise leaves. We want to check-in or leave our bags at the hotel when we arrive and then go over to Stanley Park. Since there is a free shuttle within the Park, I was wondering if we could walk to Stanley Park (We are in shape and in our 40's)? The Trolley is $35 each ($70 total) so I'm also wanting to know if the cab fare would be alot cheaper?

We also want to take the Trolley tour to Grouse Mountain and the tramway up the mountain for the sunset. Should I make reservations now? Or wait until we get to Vancouver? We will be in your city in ten days. Can't wait!:D

Thank you, again!

I also wanted to thank all of you Vancouverites for taking the time to answer all of our questions. Very kind indeed!:D Most of my questions have been answered by reading this thread for the last nine months. I would like help in fine tuning. We will be staying at the Blue Horizon on Robson Street the night before our cruise leaves. We want to check-in or leave our bags at the hotel when we arrive and then go over to Stanley Park. Since there is a free shuttle within the Park, I was wondering if we could walk to Stanley Park (We are in shape and in our 40's)? The Trolley is $35 each ($70 total) so I'm also wanting to know if the cab fare would be alot cheaper?

We also want to take the Trolley tour to Grouse Mountain and the tramway up the mountain for the sunset. Should I make reservations now? Or wait until we get to Vancouver? We will be in your city in ten days. Can't wait!:D

Thank you, again!

Walking to Stanley Park from the BH is no problem and if you are tired coming back a bus fare is only $2.75 pp. So I wouldn't bother with the trolley to the park. If you are going to use the trolley on day 2 and their North Shore Connection then I would be inclined to wait until you get here as if it is raining there really is little point in going up the Grouse Mtn. Skyride and I think I would direct you to something like Granville Island. The susension bridge and the sky ride are both accessable by transit and you can walk over to the Waterfront Station by Canada Place, take the Seabus across the harbour transfer to a bus and away you go. Tell the bus driver where you want to go and he/she will be happy to help you. You can purchase and all day pass for transit for $9.00. Here is a transit link for your convenience.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/default.asp

Walking to Stanley Park from the BH is no problem and if you are tired coming back a bus fare is only $2.75 pp. So I wouldn't bother with the trolley to the park. If you are going to use the trolley on day 2 and their North Shore Connection then I would be inclined to wait until you get here as if it is raining there really is little point in going up the Grouse Mtn. Skyride and I think I would direct you to something like Granville Island. The susension bridge and the sky ride are both accessable by transit and you can walk over to the Waterfront Station by Canada Place, take the Seabus across the harbour transfer to a bus and away you go. Tell the bus driver where you want to go and he/she will be happy to help you. You can purchase and all day pass for transit for $9.00. Here is a transit link for your convenience.

You can definately walk from the Blue Horizon, or you can take a bus, fare is $2.50 and is good for 90 min.

If you want to go over to grouse, I would recommend Transit just take the Robson bus outside the hotel to the seabus and go over to north shore, then take the bus up to grouse mountain. the fare is $3.75 pp a little more as you are going further. Again ticket is good for 90 minutes. It is a good idea to wake up and see what the weather is like because if it is rainy or overcast you won't see too much. Note: if you are doing this travelling on a weekend the fare is $2.50 each no matter where you are going, so a day pass may not be as economical.

Note all day passes are available for $9 and good all day, might be good to get if you head up to Grouse Mtn. You could spend some time at lonsdale Quay which is great.

Don't be afraid to ask the driver of the bus any questions, most are more than happy to assist -- unless they haven't had their coffee then :)

Vickie

the transit driver

715840482_meonbus.jpg.07d88661f71ef10dbf2e68f6796d3ced.jpg

:eek: Also wanted to say that taking transit in Vancouver is a very common thing. I know in some cities we have visited nobody would be caught dead taking transit, but here it is the opposite. Buses run often and we have a very good metro system too. Things are crazy too because of construction for a new metro line.

Cabs are easy to get too and are realatively economical. Just remember that to get to most places you need to cross a bridge. also most things in the downtown core are within walking distance if you are physically fit and a great way to explore.

Also for wwinfl91 - I had to laugh when i read your post, i never thought about us having different outlets... but I guess I can see where you might get that idea. My hubby always plays jokes on me when we travel by telling me some obsure lie that I always fall for. last one was "when we rent a car in Scotland he tells me that not only do they drive on the other side of the road, the cars are mainly standard so the shift is on your left -- but then he tells me the brake and gas are reversed too :eek: -- I feel for it !!

You will find everything in Canada is exactly the same as the US except we have colorful money and large coins instead of one dollars and two dollars, called the loonie and toonie respectfully because the dollar coin had a loon on it -- the toonie was just named naturally after that.

And we don't all say EH after every sentence. lol

Welcome all to our great city, I've lived here for 26 years and love to share it with everyone..... as you can see from this thread there are many of us who are proud of our city.

Glad we can help.

Thanks everyone! Wonderful advice.:D The bus it is. The picture is great Vickie. I can't wait to visit.

Are you all excited about the 2010 Olympic games?

you are welcome, with regards to the Olympics, well my answer is, Yes and No.

It is exciting to have the world to come to our great city. I love the Olympics and what it stands for and the competitions, especially the winter ones.

I don't think i will like the crowds. Company will not let anyone take vacation during that time (so we are heading to South America right after the olympics). The cost of putting on the olympics scares me, I can think of many places where I would of rather have seen the money go.

I am worried that only big business with benefit and that the working class will suffer.

I don't even know if we will be able to go to any of the events, or even be able to afford them, hopefully, have my fingers crossed.