Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Is there anyway to Priceline and get a room with 2 beds? We have 3 kids and when I tried Priceline it looked like it was for only one bed?

Priceline (and Hotwire) only guarantee "double" accomodation - which can mean one or two beds. If you win the bid, you could call the hotel directly and request two beds. But again, no guarantees. They're not obliged to honour your request.

Here is a link to the Port of Vancouver's website which describes it even better than the YVR site. I know for a fact it is up and running for Princess and would believe that is for the other lines as well.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/about/cruiseandtourism/usdirectprocess.aspx

PD - thanks so much for the information! Hopefully it is also up and running for RCI - just have not heard it confirmed from any of the returning passengers!

We are staying overnight in Richmond on 7/3 before our cruise 7/4 and would like to have dinner at a seafood restaurant. Our group is split between the Holiday Inn Express Airport and the Sheraton Four Points Airport. If there is a good place nearby our hotels that would be awesome, but we would also be willing to go into Vancouver.

We are not looking for really high end, maybe entrees averaging around $25, and would also prefer a restaurant that is primarily seafood but offers some non-seafood options for some in the group. We will be a group of 10, ranging from 14 to 70ish.

Thanks for your help, and I've really enjoyed learning a lot about the area over the last few months.

The Steveston Seafood House but you are going to need some cabs to get you all there. It is in Richmond where you are staying but I would guess you are going to have add about $20 per cab each way. Go a bit early and enjoy the restored fishing village of Steveston.

http://www.stevestonseafoodhouse.com/index.php?q=home

We are staying overnight in Richmond on 7/3 before our cruise 7/4 and would like to have dinner at a seafood restaurant. Our group is split between the Holiday Inn Express Airport and the Sheraton Four Points Airport. If there is a good place nearby our hotels that would be awesome, but we would also be willing to go into Vancouver.

We are not looking for really high end, maybe entrees averaging around $25, and would also prefer a restaurant that is primarily seafood but offers some non-seafood options for some in the group. We will be a group of 10, ranging from 14 to 70ish.

Thanks for your help, and I've really enjoyed learning a lot about the area over the last few months.

There is also The Boathouse in Richmond:

604 273-7014

8331 River Road

Richmond, BC

V6X 1Y1

It's part of the same group as the Boathouse at English Bay. http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

It's a bit closer than Steveston Seafood house and we've always found it to be good and reliable. Whichever you choose, you won't go wrong.

On a side note, you will be close to some of the best Chinese restaurants in the Vancouver area.

One (very likely) final question before we go. Is the free shuttle running in Stanley Park for the summer? I thought I saw somewhere on the web site for Stanley Park that there was no funding for the shuttle, but I'm sure there was a post from Putterdude not too long ago that the shuttle was running. Is there a fee now?

Hi.....We are taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver the morning of our cruise. We leave from the Ballantyne Port.......Is there anywhere to stop along the way to buy some water, sodas, and maybe some beer????? We will be in a Taxi. Thanks in advance:)

One (very likely) final question before we go. Is the free shuttle running in Stanley Park for the summer? I thought I saw somewhere on the web site for Stanley Park that there was no funding for the shuttle, but I'm sure there was a post from Putterdude not too long ago that the shuttle was running. Is there a fee now?

The shuttle is running daily 10am-6:30pm until September 7th. It is now $2pp and you can hop on/off all day.

Check out a map of stops and FAQ here:

http://vancouver.ca/PARKS/PARKS/stanley/shuttle.htm

Flying in from the Midwest July 10 before our July 11 Serenade Cruise. Staying at the Hampton Inn on Robson. We are a family of 4 - with 2 DS ages 5 & 9. Looking for the best way to entertain ourselves in the morning before boarding the ship. Don't want to show up at Ballentyne before Noon. Being that we'll still be on East Coast time - I'm sure that the boys will be up bright and early and raring to go!

What is the best plan of action to keep them entertained? I'm assuming that the hotel will allow us to check out and leave our luggage while we go exploring. What do you experts recommend? I'm thinking Stanley Park? But what is the best way to get there from the Hampton? Is there something else that will be closer and work better for our clan?

Thanks in advance for all your advice!!

Haley

P.S. I was married on Canada Day ......in the event that scores any brownie points ; - )

We are coming in to Vancouver for one night before our cruise, arriving on the Quick Shuttle from Seattle in the evening. We want to do a tour in the morning that will take us with our luggage, show us the city and drop us at Canada Place.

I am having a hard time deciding where to stay. We could just go from Days Inn at the airport and that would be easy with the free breakfast and all.

Or, I got a great rate at the Hotel Loden in downtown Vancouver on Melville and Bute. But.. the shuttle won't drop us there and the closest they will take us is either the Hyatt or Renaissance.

Do you think we would be okay walking to the Loden from one of those locations with our luggage at night? Or we could just stay at the airport and catch our morning tour from there. The airport hotel is half the price, but would we miss out on the flavor of the city if we did not sleep there that night, but just saw it from a tour bus the next morning?

I am intrigued by the great reviews of the Loden, but we would have to shlep over there, find a place to have a quick dinner, and find a place to have a reasonably priced quick breakfast before 8am tour pick up. What do you think would be best?

Take the Loden - come downtown and get set for a great visit - you will be dropped about a block from your Hotel - Hyatt would be a little closer and yes it is safe to walk with your luggage - as for eating - you are block from Robson St which has more eateries than I care to mention + there are McDonald's, Wendy's and Tim Horton's close buy - there is also a deli and coffee services in the Urban Fare - there are two close to your hotel - you are about 6 blocks from the White Spot - either Georgia Street location - http://www.whitespot.ca

Hope this gets you started - other locals will probably have some more options and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Cheers

Dennis

Or, I got a great rate at the Hotel Loden in downtown Vancouver on Melville and Bute. But.. the shuttle won't drop us there and the closest they will take us is either the Hyatt or Renaissance.

Do you think we would be okay walking to the Loden from one of those locations with our luggage at night?

The Loden is a brand new hotel and looks beautiful! Depending on the amount of luggage you have, it is walkable - about 3 long blocks. If you decide to walk, I'd do it from the Hyatt as it would be downhill vs. slightly uphill from the Renaissance. The area is relatively safe (remembering you are in a big city).

If you have lots of bags, another option might be to get off at the Hyatt and take a short taxi ride to the Loden. It will be less than $10 -- just give the cabbie a nice tip! :)

(Hey, Dennis, how's it going?)

ell

Edited by ell52

Thank you! Wow, you are fast to answer on a Fourth of July morning.

Okay, you have convinced me to come downtown, even if for just one night.

One question:

I have us booked at the Loden, but just saw a good deal at the Fairmont for about ten dollars more. Do you think that would be better?

Take the Fairmont - you won't have to worry about luggage because they will take it down to the ship for you - there is a small food court in the basement and the HOHO bus etc all pickup outside the Hotel - if you are up early you can see your ship arriving at Canada Place.

Cheers

Dennis

ELL52

"(Hey, Dennis, how's it going?'

Trying to keep myself busy in retirement - doing volunteer events and spending lots of time posting here on Cruise Critic - good to see you back posting a little more frequently.

Have had to cut back on the cruises because like many I took at pretty good hit on my pension income this year but with the market rebounding some I am hopeful that I might be able to do some more next year.

Do you have any cruises planned?

Cheers

Dennis

I have us booked at the Loden, but just saw a good deal at the Fairmont for about ten dollars more. Do you think that would be better?

Just make sure it is the Fairmont Waterfront not the one on West Georgia. Both are nice, but it is the Waterfront hotel that you want.

.... - good to see you back posting a little more frequently. . . .Do you have any cruises planned?

I tend to post mostly when we have a cruise planned and then I get back into Cruise Critic mode. :)

So yes, we're booked on a 14-day Hawaii, round-trip out of LA in September. We did a 15-day a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the sea days and look forward to the same. 84 days to go, but who's counting? :D

I know exactly what you mean about the market hit to your pension income.

ell

Edited by ell52

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, it is the Fairmont Waterfront at $150 Canadian at the Friends and Family rate.

I am disappointed that the HOHO trolley does not run in the evening and I am also a bit bummed that the food court under the hotel closes at 6pm. I wonder why so early....

We will have a few short hours to see the city in the morning. My husband wants to take the city tour 3.5 hrs with landandsea, but I am not sure it would be worth the $70 each. I guess it would be efficient and would eliminate any wait times for the trolley in the popular areas.

Wondering what time to head for the ship... my husband is a resident alien so we have to go through the "slow" immigration line.