Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

I can't answer your question re the early quit time of the HOHO's but I would guess it comes down to economics. With regard to the food court in Waterfront Centre it is primarily geared for the trade in the office tower and of course its main source of customers have gone home by 5:30.

With regard to the morning tour offered by Vancouver Tours (LandSea) we have heard nothing but glowing reports from cruisers who have taken it. It really has been designed for cruisers. With your DH being a resident alien I would be inclined to arrive earlier than later.

What is the best plan of action to keep them entertained? I'm assuming that the hotel will allow us to check out and leave our luggage while we go exploring. What do you experts recommend? I'm thinking Stanley Park? But what is the best way to get there from the Hampton? Is there something else that will be closer and work better for our clan?

P.S. I was married on Canada Day ......in the event that scores any brownie points ; - )

As for your marriage on Canada Day....Canada's Revenue Agency (our IRS) has been looking for you so stay low.:D

The Aquarium at the park would be a great option; with little legs I would just walk the one block north to Georgia and take transit. The other option would be the Telus Science World but it doesn't open until 10 am.

I can't answer your question re the early quit time of the HOHO's but I would guess it comes down to economics. With regard to the food court in Waterfront Centre it is primarily geared for the trade in the office tower and of course its main source of customers have gone home by 5:30.

With regard to the morning tour offered by Vancouver Tours (LandSea) we have heard nothing but glowing reports from cruisers who have taken it. It really has been designed for cruisers. With your DH being a resident alien I would be inclined to arrive earlier than later.

We just signed up for the pre-cruise tour offered by LandSea for this Saturday (7/11). They are picking us up directly at our hotel and dropping us (and our luggage!)off directly at the cruise port. Seemed like the best hassle free way to see most of the city in a short period of time. I will give a full review when I return!

Could I sneak a Victoria question in? We will be there in mid October and are wondering if the Butchart gardens are still a good option. Here in Wisconsin most of our flowers are gone by that time so a garden tour here would be a waste of time.

Could I sneak a Victoria question in? We will be there in mid October and are wondering if the Butchart gardens are still a good option. Here in Wisconsin most of our flowers are gone by that time so a garden tour here would be a waste of time.

Butchart Gardens is lovely in the fall. There will still be lots of flowering plants.

Here's a link to someone's photo album of the gardens in mid-October:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/207085886tLHMtZ

:)

I would be really interested in reviews of the Pre-cruise tour. Can't remember if they deal with getting the luggage on the ship, or if they just drop you off.

Now, one final detail... what is the story with Quick Shuttle. We want to catch the 3pm from Sea Tac. So many different reviews, good and bad. Anyone actually use it lately and on a Friday afternoon? Not many options except driving. Our plane comes into Sea Tac at 1pm, so I assume the 3pm bus would be quite possible. This is the day before the cruise.

I would be really interested in reviews of the Pre-cruise tour. Can't remember if they deal with getting the luggage on the ship, or if they just drop you off.

Now, one final detail... what is the story with Quick Shuttle. We want to catch the 3pm from Sea Tac. So many different reviews, good and bad. Anyone actually use it lately and on a Friday afternoon? Not many options except driving. Our plane comes into Sea Tac at 1pm, so I assume the 3pm bus would be quite possible. This is the day before the cruise.

You will have to do a search on a few of these Vancouver threads for the reviews on the LandSea tour.

With regard to the Quick Shuttle they have been in business for years and are good operators but like everyone, they can have bad moments or don't quite meet a customers expectations from time to time. As for a 3 pm shuttle out of Seattle on a Friday, you are heading right into the afternoon commute and it is a real b.... coming north thru Seattle on I-5 or I-405. Although there will be lineups at the border the buses do use a dedicated lane so do get thru fairly quickly. You may be required to get off the bus at the border, identify your luggage and go inside to clear customs....but there is telling if that will happen. I would suggest that you will be the best part of 5 hrs between SEA and Vancouver.

What a great thread. Thanks to the Vancouver for such super responses.

We will be flying in to YVR on September 19th about 3 pm and spending one day prior to departure on the 20th Golden Princess Coastal Cruise to LA.

We plan to use Starwoods Points to book our hotel. That means we have a choice of any of the Westin or Sheraton hotels.

Which one do you recommend for a couple of old folks for pre-cruise?

What is the approximate cost of a taxi from YVR to hotel? Hotel to cruise pier?

Any other advice welcomed.

J&P

As an addendum to our post above, I note there are two Airport Starwoods Hotels. Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to staying at one of those for the night and going to the cruise port in the morning?

What are the areas like: shopping, restaurants, etc.

Thanks,

J&P

As an addendum to our post above, I note there are two Airport Starwoods Hotels. Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to staying at one of those for the night and going to the cruise port in the morning?

My personal choice would be the Westin Bayshore for its proximity to Stanley Park, view of the mountains and the waterfront. The other two Starwood properties in Vancouver (the Westin Grand and Sheraton Wall Centre) are more central to shopping and more dining options, but the Bayshore is within close taxi ride (or walk if you like to walk) to the same. It's really what you would prefer.

There's really no advantage to staying near the airport other than it's probably cheaper (fewer points).

Edited by ell52

I would definitely stay downtown vs the airport area....it just puts you more in the swim of things. One observation that was recently made about the Sheraton Wall Centre is the fact that is on Burrard St. a few blocks from St. Pauls Hospital and there were a lot of sirens. I have stayed at both the Bayshore and the Grand and both are excellent properties. Bayshore is away from center ice but has the advantages of the views of Stanley Park, Coal Harbour yacht basin and the North Shore Mountains plus being very close to Stanley Park. The Grand is newer and in a more Urban location. It is closer to shops and restaurants and most other downtown sights except Stanely Park.

A cab fare from Airport to Bayshore will be about $35 and the Grand or Canada Place a few dollars less. Cab fare from Grand to Canada Place will be less then $10 and a few dollars more from the Bayshore.

Thanks to both of you for the great responses.

We will stay downtown.

Now the ball (or is it the puck) is in our court and it is time to ponder the choice between The Grand and The Bayshore.

By the way, Is Death by Chocolate still open? We had decadent high calorie deserts there after an Alaska cruise several years ago.

P&J

By the way, Is Death by Chocolate still open? We had decadent high calorie deserts there after an Alaska cruise several years ago.

P&J

I believe that the two downtown locations are now closed...sorry.:(

I believe that the two downtown locations are now closed...sorry.:(

According to their website, there's one downtown at 818 Burrard, and one in Yaletown at 1145 Mainland. If you head to Granville Island, there's nearby one at 1598 W.Broadway, or.. If you're feeling up to it, ride the subway/elevated train to Metrotown, and there's one across the street at 4883 Kingsway.

I know that is what the website says but the Burrard St. location has been closed for sometime now. So tried calling the Yaletown location and the Head Office and got Telus disconnects at both.....suspect they Died by Chocolate.

According to their website, there's one downtown at 818 Burrard, and one in Yaletown at 1145 Mainland. If you head to Granville Island, there's nearby one at 1598 W.Broadway, or.. If you're feeling up to it, ride the subway/elevated train to Metrotown, and there's one across the street at 4883 Kingsway.

PD was right - there are no more death by chocolates in the downtown core. The only surviving location they have in Vancouver is the one on Broadway. The Burrard location has been closed for sometime now, and is now a "Joey's". I do not know when the Yaletown location closed, but it is no longer there either.

We (DW and 2 DD, 9 & 12) have about 4-5 hours on August 5th. We are staying at the downtown Hyatt. Is that within walking distance of Stanley Park? If not, how should we get there?

Other than the aquarium, what should we do in Stanley Park that would interest the kids?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Birder6

Stanley Park is beautiful it has 3 beaches, a seawall that you can walk or rent bikes to ride around, you can rent them at the entrance of the park. Second Beach has a enclosed outdoor pool with slides and there is a consession there, it does cost to go in.

In addition to the Aquarium there is a miniture railroad that children and children at heart all enjoy and a petting zoo. You children may also enjoy the totem poles....I will attach a link for your convenience. The Parks Board has also reinstituted the shuttle around the park at a cost of $2 pp. The walk from the Hyatt Regency to the Park is will take about 15 mins and it is downhill .... coming back tired legs may appreciate a ride on a transit bus along Georgia to the Hyatt. Hope you have a great time.

http://vancouver.ca/PARKS/parks/stanley/fun.htm

Thanks Sunset Seeker and Putterdude!

I looked up the petting zoo and I think it will be fun for us adults, as well as the kids. A walk on the seawall also sounds great (weather permitting)

Have really enjoyed this thread and appreciate all the great insight from PD, UT and the other Vancouverites who have put in a lot of time and effort.