Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Judy;

You are very close to Yaletown which is just full of trendy restaurants some of which have a tendency to come & go (what’s new in the restaurant business). I am about 4 yrs out of date with the restaurants in Yaletown because I am now retired but here are some links and some of the one that I recognize and have been to over the years are:

Rosie’s on Robson

Yaletown Brewing

Kettle of Fish

La Terrazza

You certainly won’t go hungry in Yaletown!

http://www.dinehere.ca/results.asp?l=19

http://www.martiniboys.com/Vancouver/restaurants-in-Vancouver/area/Yaletown-restaurants-Vancouver

Judy:

There is a White Spot restaurant located in the hotel - I eat there at least once a week and can see your hotel from my living room:

http://whitespot.com/

A half block away is a little Greek place called the Adonis - the owner/chef used to work at Stepho's which is a great Greek Taverna on Davie St:

http://www.hihenry.com/vancouver/adonis-greek-taverna-142/

There is a Subway and 7- 11 as well

One block away in the Ramada is the Morrissay - a pub that serves a fairly decent menu and has a good Lamb's stew:

http://www.martiniboys.com/Vancouver/Morrissey-Irish-House-review.html

There is also The Two Parrots a block away.

Keep in mind that you are in the entertainment district so most of the eateries on Granville will be mostly lighter fare.

You are actually about 5 or 6 blocks until you get into the Yaletown restaurant row.

Hope these links help

Cheers

Dennis

The nice thing about staying in Vancouver is that your options are truley endless with regards to shopping, eating, sightseeing, people watching.

You can easily walk everywhere, it is mainly flat -- and I don't really have any problem walking everywhere, but if you have trouble with walking it is very easy to hail a cab or take transit. Buy a day pass for $9 and you are good to go. They can be bought at all the drug stores mentioned above and most convenience and grocery stores.

We could name a thousand restaurants located in Vancouver within walking distance... trust me you will not go hungry.

Great areas to check out... Chinatown, Gastown (very touristy), Lonsdale Quay (take sea bus over to North Vancouver and it is right there), Granville Island (great spot for day or evening, great place to see live theatre too), Stanley Park, Queen Elizabeth Park.

Stroll along Robson, then Denman, then Davie Street.

You may want to check out Kits, West Broadway, South Granville, Yaletown.

And don't miss our beautiful beaches, which are too many to mention.

For the kids, go to the Aquarium at Stanley Park, Science World, IMAX theatre, Planatarium, Children's Festival if it is going on, take on a ride on our Skytrain (our version of subway/metro), take on a ride on the sea bus (all included in day pass with transit).

Anyone else with ideas.

There's a new Cafe Artigiano in the 500 Block of Granville (near Dunsmuir). OK OK, it's a tad pricy, but DAMN it's good coffee. If you're a real coffee hound 'Mink' is also very good, they have a clover machine (off Hastings @ Hornby IIRC). You might also want to try 'Marios' which is on Howe just north of Dunsmuir.

If you're headed toward stanley park, I always recommend the Banana Leaf (Malay cuisine; great without being too fancy or expensive) on Denman st.

Thank so much. yes, we will pay for a good cup of coffee. We may check out a few while we are in YVR.

I checked out the menu for Banana Leaf. the steamed mussels in cumin and ginger sauce looks interesting. We may try it..thanks.

Not familiar with the city. Would this location be ok for a senior aged couple who are on a budget and just want a nice clean place to stay for 3 nights? They will be renting a car to get around.

Reviews on TA say it is clean, free breakfast and free parking. Just want to know a bit more about the neighbourhood.

Thanks!

Well I am a little biased but I am not a great fan of that location. Working on the biased theme, I would find it just a little too “multi-cultural” for my taste and a neighbourhood that is in transition, fortunately to the good. On the plus side it an easy drive to many of Vancouver's sights.

Left to me, I would go over to the North Shore and stay at the Best Western there, or the North Vancouver Hotel (really a motel, but where we often stay when we are in town), the Grouse Inn or the Comfort Inn. All of the aforementioned are on Capilano Rd. in North Vancouver just a minute from the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge and close to the Grouse Mountain Skyride, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Cleveland Dam and just over the Lions Gate Bridge to Stanley Park and downtown Vancouver. It is where I would have my parents stay…..but I was a North Vancouver boy for most of my 60+ years.

Well I am a little biased but I am not a great fan of that location. Working on the biased theme, I would find it just a little too “multi-cultural” for my taste and a neighbourhood that is in transition, fortunately to the good. On the plus side it an easy drive to many of Vancouver's sights.

Left to me, I would go over to the North Shore and stay at the Best Western there, or the North Vancouver Hotel (really a motel, but where we often stay when we are in town), the Grouse Inn or the Comfort Inn. All of the aforementioned are on Capilano Rd. in North Vancouver just a minute from the north end of the Lions Gate Bridge and close to the Grouse Mountain Skyride, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Cleveland Dam and just over the Lions Gate Bridge to Stanley Park and downtown Vancouver. It is where I would have my parents stay…..but I was a North Vancouver boy for most of my 60+ years.

I appreciate your honest opinion. I will do more research now and look up the ones you mentiones, although I started with the N. Vancouver Hotel and the price was good but the reviews weren't so hot. I'll check out the rest. Thanks again!

You are welcome. There is a Holiday Inn on the North Shore but it is way to the east nearer the 2nd Narrows Bridge and just a little out of the way. The other consideration would be the Lonsdale Quay Hotel, it is a little more pricey but they could park the car, take the Sea Bus into the city walk around most of downtown, and take the trolly to the various sights that are outside of the core. There are also lots of restaurants on Lonsdale.

http://www.lonsdalequayhotel.com/

Did a quick Trip Advisor check and got the Grouse Inn or the North Vancouver for the same rate as the original booking BW. All include free parking and free continental breakfast. Would you recommend one over the other? Both 5 min. from a mall, and close to the ferry dock .

The Holiday Inn looks really nice but the cost is much higher with no breakfast included.

Must decide quickly as they are travelling next week!

Not many reviews oin the Grouse Inn. Have you seen it in person?

Thank you soooo much for your personal help!

If you mean the BW in Vancouver, I would not go there. If you mean the BW on Capilano Rd then I would say go for that. After that I think it is a pick um between the Grouse Inn and the NVH. The Grouse Inn is older but has been renovated a number of times and the last time a saw some rooms there, it was about 5 years ago and they were good. The GI would be a little easier to get in & out of from a traffic point of view. The NVH is an older proerty as well but renovated in the past few years and is owned by a group that owns a BW property elsewhere. We like it because we can get a quiet room there and the brakfast is pretty good, toast, cereal, jusices, pastries and you make waffles.

Did a quick Trip Advisor check and got the Grouse Inn or the North Vancouver for the same rate as the original booking BW. All include free parking and free continental breakfast. Would you recommend one over the other? Both 5 min. from a mall, and close to the ferry dock .

The Holiday Inn looks really nice but the cost is much higher with no breakfast included.

Must decide quickly as they are travelling next week!

Not many reviews oin the Grouse Inn. Have you seen it in person?

Thank you soooo much for your personal help!

I really didn't think the first hotel the Best Western Uptown was so bad - it is central, clean and close to everything. You wouldn't need to rent a car that is for sure, easy to get almost anywhere with transit. The Mount Pleasant area where this hotel is a very neat place, it is in transition but heck condos here cost half a million, so it can't be so bad.

I love North Vancouver, but I personally wouldn't want to stay there if I was visiting, especially with a car as traffic is a nightmare because you have to travel via one of the two bridges, then you will have to find parking in the city. You can always take transit, with the seabus.

If you are wanting to stay at a BW here are some alternatives that I would recommend

Best Western Downtown Vancouver on Drake

Best Western Exhibition Park Vancouver - located relatively close to the city (quick bus ride from Kootney Loop)

Best Western Chateau Granville - right down town

Best Western Sands - downtown

Best Western Coquitlam Inn Convention Centre - this is about a 30 min skytrain ride from the city - but hotel is right near the skytrain

That is the difference in opinion between a city person and a north shore person and I have confessed to my bias from the outset, however this was also a little bit of a budget matter and that why I stayed away from the in town Best Westerns. However I would never want my parents or indeed allow myself to stay at the Chateau Granville, that for years has been a haven for prostitution and drugs not to mention noisy being on the south perimeter of the Granville Street Entertainment District.

"I would never want my parents or indeed allow myself to stay at the Chateau Granville, that for years has been a haven for prostitution and drugs not to mention noisy being on the south perimeter of the Granville Street Entertainment District."

Thanks for the opinion of the neighbourhood that I live in - I can see the BW Granville St. neon sign from my balcony.

That is the difference in opinion between a city person and a north shore person and I have confessed to my bias from the outset, however this was also a little bit of a budget matter and that why I stayed away from the in town Best Westerns. However I would never want my parents or indeed allow myself to stay at the Chateau Granville, that for years has been a haven for prostitution and drugs not to mention noisy being on the south perimeter of the Granville Street Entertainment District.

Even though this hotel is right in the heart of the city, it is quiet when you are in your room... I've been there to visit friends before and the rooms are nice and certainly this hotel is much more affordable than others.

Trust me this is a safe area... (I've driven my bus by here at all hours) but yes there are a lot of clubs in the area and they are open very late. But I think a person who is into partying would love it.

that is why I gave a few hotels to choose from in the BW chain.

North Vancouver is very nice too, but you certainly will find more things open and to do in the city.

Also drugs, homeless and loud annoying people on the street can be found in most major cities, and Vancouver is no different.

I lived in Vancouver for 60 years; I worked downtown for almost 40 years 25 of which were in Vancouver Centre. I had known a young man who was killed innocently in scuffle in the Granville Entertainment Area; he used to fish with my sons and me. In recent times one of my sons whose name you would probably recognize if you knew my name was accosted and had a knife drawn on him in this area while his pregnant wife stood by in horror. At one point I had an interest in what is now the Comfort Inn on Granville and I am on a first name basis with some of the club owners on Granville. For years I walked past the dirty book stores, XXX movie arcades on Granville Street and the filth in front of Chateau Granville. Do I know the scene on Granville? You bet I do. And do I stand my view not to recommend Chateau Granville to someone who wants to know of a safe place to have his parents to stay? Sorry folks, yes I do. To Urban Trekker, I am sorry if I offended you by my earlier remarks, that clearly was not my intent.

oh my Putterdude -- please everyone is entitled to their opinion --

Granville South is a young person's area, maybe not right for Putter's age group, heck not even my age group -- too many clubs, but for anyone else that may read this thread that may be looking it is another option.

Putterdude, your opinion is appreciated, but please try not to scare everyone away from our great city.... note this hotel is only a 15 min walk from the pier and 5 min from yaletown, 5 min to the beach, 1 min to a club... ha ha ha

Okay enough about the Chateau Granville, next hotel please.

I would never try to scare anyone from visiting the city that my wife, children and I were born in. A city that I had the rare privilege of spending my life in and still live close by. It is only because you advanced the Chateau Granville as an option for the OP’s parents to stay, that I took issue and then when I was challenged I explained why I wouldn’t like to see them staying there. I didn’t have any problem with the other suggestions you had.

Vancouver is a lovely city and there would be no other city in which I would want to live if I weren’t retired and now living the good life on the Sunshine Coast.

To all the wonderful post & present Vancouvites including Urban Trekker who has helped us so much so far.....Thank you so much for your time & knowledge...your the best!!

What more can you tell me about the Residence Inn Downtown Vancouver?

Where could we pick up bottled water & soda pre-cruise (decent prices)?

Is there a drug store nearby in case needed?

What about lower cost spots for lunch & dinner near the Residence Inn? We would even consider chains such as Applebees, Friendlys even Burger King. We would rather spend our money on seeing your city..Grouse Mountain.. Capilano Bridge etc and know that we will be eating more than our fair share on the cruise.

Any comments on Hop On/Off Bus vs Hop On/Off Trolley? We know that the Hop On/Off Bus has a stop @ the Residence Inn. Any idea of a close stop by the Trolley near the Residence Inn?

It appears that the Trolley does a more thorough tour of Stanley Park than the Bus...Am I right?

I hear that the Entertainment Book has a pay for 1 - get one free on the Trolley. Does anyone out there have the Entertainment book...if so, can you check if there any coupons for the Hop On/Hop Off Bus?

Thanks again for everyones help.

J

"To all the wonderful post & present Vancouvites including Urban Trekker who has helped us so much so far.....Thank you so much for your time & knowledge...your the best!!"

Glad to have been able to help.

"What more can you tell me about the Residence Inn Downtown Vancouver?"

It is located at the upper end of the downtown hotel core - close to the David Village - has construction - new condos - next door and in the rear - well served by the Airporter and Trolleys.

"There could we pick up bottled water & soda pre-cruise (decent prices)?"

If you are staying at the Residence Inn - there is a 7- 11 across the street otherwise London Drugs and Shoppers Drug mart are your best bet and best prices - several locations in the downtown core.

"Is there a drug store nearby in case needed?"

See answer above

"What about lower cost spots for lunch & dinner near the Residence Inn? We would even consider chains such as Applebees, Friendlys even Burger King. We would rather spend our money on seeing your city..Grouse Mountain.. Capilano Bridge etc and know that we will be eating more than our fair share on the cruise."

There's the White Spot, Subway, Quinozs sub, Tim Horton, Mcdonalds, Denny's - to name a few - lots of good ma and pa places along Davie

"Any comments on Hop On/Off Bus vs Hop On/Off Trolley? We know that the Hop On/Off Bus has a stop @ the Residence Inn. Any idea of a close stop by the Trolley near the Residence Inn?"

The terms are interchanged a lot but if the difference is the Vancouver Trolley Co vs the Big Bus - the Big Bus would be about a block away

"It appears that the Trolley does a more thorough tour of Stanley Park than the Bus...Am I right?"

Can't answer that but if you are travelling between Mid- June and Mid Sept - there is a free hop on hop off bus for Stanley Park - it is actually run under contract from the Vancouver Trolley company - you might want to take either service to the Park and then use the free service,

"I hear that the Entertainment Book has a pay for 1 - get one free on the Trolley. Does anyone out there have the Entertainment book...if so, can you check if there any coupons for the Hop On/Hop Off Bus?"

Don't have a book anymore but if you go to entertainment.com and put in Vancouver you should be able to do a search and see if there is a coupon in the book.

Thanks again for everyones help.

J

__

To Putterdude - I was also born in Vancouver just over 60 years ago at St Paul's and spend my entire working career over just over 41 years working in the downtown core including more than a few nights putting back beer in some of old downtown drinking holes - remember the Blackstone now the Howard Johnson or the Austin now the Ramada.

Over the past couple of months the police have closed Granville St to traffic from Helmecken to Robson on weekend nights and this has had a positive effect on the street - there have been less incidents since it is harder for the culprits to escape on foot and in fact with the latest revamp of Granville ready to start any day it city is looking at incorporating this feature on a permanent basis.

Cheers

Dennis