Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

We had hoped to spend a few days in Vancouver to explore the city before our cruise to Alaska on Sept 12, but our plans changed and now we will be arriving the day before our cruise. Our plane gets in around 11:00 am and I figured we would possibly be at our hotel (Hyatt Regency) early afternoon. We are hoping to check our luggage at the hotel since I'm sure our room won't be ready yet. Anyone have a plan to suggest where we could see a few of the city sites in such a limited amount of time and what would be the "must sees" for that time frame? Nothing too hectic.......we're in our early 60's, but it will be a long, tiring travel day with an early flight from the east coast.:D

We had hoped to spend a few days in Vancouver to explore the city before our cruise to Alaska on Sept 12, but our plans changed and now we will be arriving the day before our cruise. Our plane gets in around 11:00 am and I figured we would possibly be at our hotel (Hyatt Regency) early afternoon. We are hoping to check our luggage at the hotel since I'm sure our room won't be ready yet. Anyone have a plan to suggest where we could see a few of the city sites in such a limited amount of time and what would be the "must sees" for that time frame? Nothing too hectic.......we're in our early 60's, but it will be a long, tiring travel day with an early flight from the east coast.:D

By the time you get your baggage and clear customs you will likely be at the hotel by 1:00 pm. There is also a strong likelyhood that your room will be ready but it not you should be able to check your bags with the bell desk. Here is a link to the Trolly that you can hop on and hop off as you please, it would be a great way to see the city and its sights and it stops at you hotel. http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/citytours/tour.html The other tour to condsider you be this one and I see that they have a tour on the morning of the cruise http://www.vancouvertours.com/

Things that people like to see in Vancouver include Stanley Park http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/ , the shops on Robson St. which are 2 short blocks to the south of the hotel, Historic Gastown, which you also can walk to http://www.gastown.org/ , you could also walk to Harbour Centre and go up to the observation level which on a nice afternoon will give you some terrific views of the city, harbour and the North Shore Mountains. There are certainly more but these are all things that you can do in the afternoon of arrival and the next morning.

Unfortunately, our chance to do any sightseeing is confined to just the few short afternoon and evening hours after arrival in Vancouver. Considering the price per person of the trolley and the fact that the last tour is at 4:00, I guess that kind of rules out that option for such a short time period. We won't be able to do any tours the following morning either. I guess we will have to settle for a walk to Harbour Centre for a view of the city or a quick trip to Stanley Park. Our original plan was for a few days stay pre-cruise with hopes of seeing all the highlights of the area........maybe someday we'll have another opportunity to visit Vancouver and do it up right!:)

Well all may not be lost, Vancouver has a pretty good transit system including a ferry system that we call the Sea Bus and it takes you over to the North Shore. Sea Bus departs just east of Canada Place and it is an interesting trip just to go back and forth across the harbour. Also, your hotel is just a half a block north of Georgia St. which is a major transit artery and you can catch a bus there that will take you to Stanley Park. Here is a link to the transit website. http://www.translink.bc.ca/

Putterdude, I just visited the Translink website. I see that there is an all day pass for $9. Does this include just busses or does it include the Skytran and the ferries? We are staying at the Best Western Downtown on Drake (700 block). Will public transportation be convenient for us or would the trolley be better? We will be in Vancouver from early Wednesday afternoon until Friday when the cruise begins.

Shamrock..... We are going on a tour with vancouver tours in the afternoon. They have a 2:00 PM tour that lasts about 3-4 hours and is only $59/pp. You can go on their website and check it out, but this seems to be the best thing to do when you don't have a lot of time to see this beautiful city. Their website is: www.vancouvertours.com Enjoy!

Judy;

The $9.00 all day pass is valid on all transit busses, SkyTrain, and SeaBus...fill your boots. Vicki who started this thread and who is a transit operator or Urban Trekker who lives close to your hotel would be able to advise you better, but I think your best bet would be to walk the couple of blocks to Granville St. and from there you should be able to get to anywhere in metro-Vancouver or what we call the Lower Mainland.

Shamrock..... We are going on a tour with vancouver tours in the afternoon. They have a 2:00 PM tour that lasts about 3-4 hours and is only $59/pp. You can go on their website and check it out, but this seems to be the best thing to do when you don't have a lot of time to see this beautiful city. Their website is: www.vancouvertours.com Enjoy!

I had checked out this site previously, but missed the fact that they had afternoon tours.......thought they were only available in the morning at 9:00 am. Thanks for the tip. This might be a possibility for us.

This (below) is the tour NCL is offering us in Vancouver for $39 per person. My question is we arrive in the morning and this tour should be done by 1p and our flight is not until 8pm....

a) should we do this tour?

b) should we do this tour + the trolley around town after it?

c) should we just do the trolley and not book this tour at all?

NCL Tour:Nestled between the Coastal Mountain Range and the Pacific Ocean, Vancouver's beauty is proudly unveiled during this fully commentated tour. Venture through exotic Chinatown and historic Gastown. Enjoy the splendor and beauty of Queen Elizabeth Park, with its abundance of flowers and indigenous trees. Continue to Stanley Park, surrounded by brilliant city and ocean views, where you'll have plenty of opportunities to take pictures and stop to see the world-famous totem poles. After a leisurely drive along English Bay Beach, you'll arrive at Granville Island Public Market, a collection of theaters, artists' studios, craft shops, restaurants and food vendors. Make your way through the upscale Shaughnessy neighborhood where old homes and stately mansions dominate the landscape.

My question may have already been answered and I apologize if it has...

We plan to arrive by train from Seattle the day Holland America departs late afternoon. Do we have time to see a bit of Stanley Park?...and if so, should we get our baggage to Canada Place right away or leave it at Amtrak and come back for it later? Or should we just go to the shipfrom the train and hang around for a few hours?

When our ship returns we will have more time to see some of Vancouver since the train leaves late in the day back to Seattle. I'm guessing we get our baggage to Amtrak ASAP and then head out to see the sights? Would an hour before the train departs be sufficient time to arrive back at the train station?

This (below) is the tour NCL is offering us in Vancouver for $39 per person. My question is we arrive in the morning and this tour should be done by 1p and our flight is not until 8pm....

a) should we do this tour?

b) should we do this tour + the trolley around town after it?

c) should we just do the trolley and not book this tour at all?

quote]

Most of, if not all of the NCL tour is on the Trolly excursion. However with the Trolly you will need to check your bags at Canada Place at a cost of $5 each, and then you will have the cost of going to the airport from Canada Place, $35 to $40. The advantage of the Trolly is that you can do it at your own pace.

Thanks Putterdude. We might try the all day pass for the full day that we are there. Where can you purchase one?

Hi Judy;

I am rushing to go away for the weekend but the passes are available at most convenience stores, the Sea Bus Termainal and I believe Sky Train Stations. There are lots of "C" stores on Granville St.

My question may have already been answered and I apologize if it has...

We plan to arrive by train from Seattle the day Holland America departs late afternoon. Do we have time to see a bit of Stanley Park?...and if so, should we get our baggage to Canada Place right away or leave it at Amtrak and come back for it later? Or should we just go to the shipfrom the train and hang around for a few hours?

When our ship returns we will have more time to see some of Vancouver since the train leaves late in the day back to Seattle. I'm guessing we get our baggage to Amtrak ASAP and then head out to see the sights? Would an hour before the train departs be sufficient time to arrive back at the train station?

In both cases, you can check your bags at Canada Place at a cost of $5 each. From the Amtrak station you can walk across Main St. and catch SkyTrain ($2.50 CDN) and it will take you to Canada Place. Yes you will have time to see to see a bit of Stanley Park but not much but not much as I think your train gets in about 11am and your will probably want ot be on your ship by not latter that 2:30 pm. Stanley Park is accessable by transit but it is huge.

Judy - I believe you are staying at the Best Western Downtown - if that is so you can get your daily bus pass across the street at the 7 - 11.

Cheers - the sun is shining so it is time to get out on the bike and see the spring flowers in Stanley Park.

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Anyone have feedback or thoughts on the Quality Hotel DT (also shows as Inn At False Creek). For the price, it gets decents reviews. My mother (age 77 and quite active) and I have 2.5 days post-cruise. Not planning on renting a car--will use public transportation. Rate is approx $111 for our May dates. Park Inn & Stes (which has been suggested here) is $129. Blue Horizon is nearly $200. Have tried Priceline up to $120 for 4* and nothing. May keep trying that route, but need to have a backup. Thanks.

Hi,

Anyone have feedback or thoughts on the Quality Hotel DT (also shows as Inn At False Creek). For the price, it gets decents reviews. My mother (age 77 and quite active) and I have 2.5 days post-cruise. Not planning on renting a car--will use public transportation. Rate is approx $111 for our May dates. Park Inn & Stes (which has been suggested here) is $129. Blue Horizon is nearly $200. Have tried Priceline up to $120 for 4* and nothing. May keep trying that route, but need to have a backup. Thanks.

I would probably stay at the Quality Inn first before the Park Inn and Suites on Broadway. At least the quality inn is in DT and it will be easier for you to see the city on public transport that way.

The Quality Inn will be OK but try to get a room that faces west not east. The reason is that the hotel is almost on the Howe St. on ramp to the Granville St. bridge and Howe St is a major southbound traffic artery and west facing would get you off the street. If you haven't already tried it, try Priceline a 3* but come back to us before you book. Last week on the Best Western-Downtown on Drake website they were showing rooms with 2 double beds for about $130 for mid June on an AAA or AARP rate, that would be quieter hotel.

Last week on the Best Western-Downtown on Drake website they were showing rooms with 2 double beds for about $130 for mid June on an AAA or AARP rate, that would be quieter hotel.

That is the price that we booked for but I thought that it might be higher since the USD has dropped in value since then. I don't know if our price (in USD) is locked in since we have booked but not paid yet.

That is the price that we booked for but I thought that it might be higher since the USD has dropped in value since then. I don't know if our price (in USD) is locked in since we have booked but not paid yet.

They will likely be quoting that in CDN dollars and the CDN dollar has slid a little over the past 10 days to about 98 cents US....so you have slight advantage right now.

If you stay at the Quality Inn and have a west facing room and you happen to look out the window and see a larger nine storey brick building a block away be sure to wave - I will wave back at you.

This hotel will be good if you want to go to Granville Island as it is only two blocks downhill to the small ferries that will take you over to the Island.

Also the hop on hop off and Vancouver trolley stop there so you won't have far to go to take a tour.

Have a great Sunday

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. BW Downtown is $130 and I have reserved that for now since I'm able to cancel if I change my mind. So you think that will be better (quieter) than Quality Inn? I have been hesitant to try Priceline 3* as it seems likely that I'll get Plaza 500. Everyone seems dismayed when that happens--is it that disappointing? Or just construction noise?