Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback. BW Downtown is $130 and I have reserved that for now since I'm able to cancel if I change my mind. So you think that will be better (quieter) than Quality Inn? I have been hesitant to try Priceline 3* as it seems likely that I'll get Plaza 500. Everyone seems dismayed when that happens--is it that disappointing? Or just construction noise?

I think you will be happier at the BW, I know I would...I have driven by the Quality Inn many many times and thought that it was kind of an unfortunate location. I am sure that quality of the hotel is just fine but if you got a east facing room I would be afraid of the noise.

I'll be in Vancouver for two days prior to a cruise departing Canada Place and have enough Starwood points to stay at either hotel. I'd like a recommendation based on location. Thanks, Ron

Scooter1,

They are both very good hotels and both in good locations about 5 blocks apart. The Sheraton is 3 years newer and I have never stayed there. The Weston Grand I have stayed at and I can tell you that is a first class hotel in the Weston manner of doing things. You may also find the Weston just a smidge quieter. The Sherton will put you a little closer to the Robson St. shopping district but the Weston will put you closer to the trendy Yaletown district. At the end of the day it is kind of a pick-em but I would almost always take a Weston property over a Sherton one. Hope that helps and enjoy our city.

We are hoping to find a private tour gruide prior to our cruise. Our arrival schedule doesn't fit with what the Trolley Company and Land and Sea offer.

We want to see Stanley Park, Granville Island, English Harbor, gastown and everything in between.

On Friday night we will be doing the Sunset Grouse Mountain Tour. Saturday upon our return we will be using the RCCL Transfers which inlcude the Gapilano Bridge.

If you have any suggestions for a tour guide...please e-mail me at angelaandjohn@charter.net I understand sometimes we can't post tour guides on this site. Please please help me....This is our daughters 8th grade graduation gift and we want the trip to be special.

I am sorry that I have no real experience in dealing with what you want but here is link that I came across yesterday that may be what you want. There are certainly operators providing what you want and there may be people who post on this thread that will be of greater help; otherwise try a Google search for Vancouver tour operators http://www.vancouvershuttle.ca/index.html

I'm looking for a recommendation for a hotel in Vancouver to use the night prior to our cruise. Location isn't really important, but a reasonable price is. If the hotel included free (or low priced) shuttles from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the pier, that would be a great bonus.

Any suggestions from anyone?

I'm looking for a recommendation for a hotel in Vancouver to use the night prior to our cruise. Location isn't really important, but a reasonable price is. If the hotel included free (or low priced) shuttles from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the pier, that would be a great bonus.

That is a tall order, Vancouver’s hotels like most major cities’, are expensive and even more so during the summer. You will be hard-pressed to find a room under $150 in the downtown area. However a few lower priced ones are:

The Holiday Inn Express up on East Hastings, you will likely be about a $40 to $50 cab ride from YVR but does have a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. The area is safe but you will travel through the poorest neighbourhoods in Canada on the way to the cruise terminal. Rates for mid July about $130.

There is the Ramada Express out in Richmond near YVR, has free airport shuttle but cab fare to cruise terminal will be $35 to $40. Mid July rate about $120.00

There is the Buchan Hotel which is in a nice neighbourhood in Vancouver’s West End, close to Stanley Park. They have no shuttles. Cab fare from YVR about $40 to $45 and about $15 from hotel to cruise terminal. Rates for July $110 to $140.

If you did some research you may find some less expensive hotels/motels out around the airport.

Wish I had better news for you but here are the hotel links.

http://www.hievancouver.com/

http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=10551&brandInfo=RA

http://www.buchanhotel.com/

The problem with finding a hotel in Vancouver is that most people always ask for something low cost. Thats a shame because Vancouver has some first rate hotels that are worth the money. These people are going on cruises anyway so why not start the cruise off with a stay at a first class hotel ?

We have stayed in several and our favorite is the Wedgewood. I think that it is the hidden jewel in Vancouver hotels. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is a classic and the Four Seasons, Pan Pacific and the other 4 star hotels are all excellent. I hope that more people will spend the extra money and book into a first rate hotel.

We have stayed in several and our favorite is the Wedgewood. I think that it is the hidden jewel in Vancouver hotels. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is a classic and the Four Seasons, Pan Pacific and the other 4 star hotels are all excellent. I hope that more people will spend the extra money and book into a first rate hotel.

I like all of the above and particularly the Wedgewood and the Hotel Vancouver. In fact I have had the privledge of staying in the Royal Suite in the Hotel Vancouver. However, I think we also have to respect that some people are already streching their budgets with the cruise and these types of hotels are simply out of the question.

You ought to try Priceline. I got the Pacific Palisades for $135 per night and it is a 4 star hotel and in a great location on Robson Street. This if for two nights in August.:)

By reasonable price I was meaning more like under

$300 :) I'm used to Chicago hotel prices so anything under that I consider "reasonable." I should have included that in my original post.

Since I'm only going to be in the hotel for a few hours and most of that time I'll be asleep, I don't really see the point in staying in a top of the line hotel. Now if I was spending a few days there, by all means yes I'd like to be somewhere nice with all the amenities, but I'm just looking for a clean room and a bed to sleep on before taking off on my cruise.

$300 :) I'm used to Chicago hotel prices so anything under that I consider "reasonable." I should have included that in my original post.

Since I'm only going to be in the hotel for a few hours and most of that time I'll be asleep, I don't really see the point in staying in a top of the line hotel. Now if I was spending a few days there, by all means yes I'd like to be somewhere nice with all the amenities, but I'm just looking for a clean room and a bed to sleep on before taking off on my cruise.

Ok, you have now removed the challange. Try the Hyatt Regency and Sutton Place, they are about 4 short blocks from Canada Place. There is also the Fairmont's Waterfront Hotel which is across the street from Canada Place and the Pan Pacific that is part of Canada Place. The list goes on; the Four Seasons and the Fairmont's Hotel Vancouver, which are about 5 blocks from Canada Place and Marriot Pinnacle and the Le Soleil which are again about 4 blocks from CP. I doubt any of them have shuttles but cab fare from YVR to them will be about $35/40 and to the terminal add $10. A few of these hotels will be over $300 but all are great hotles in very good loactions.

PD, UT, V-B, et al . . .

Where can I find restaurant reviews for Vancouver online? I read Van-Mag but not so sure their "reviews" are bias-free, and family in Vancouver get tired of cutting out Vanc Province reviews for me. I think the Vanc Sun's reviews are better ... maybe they're available on line.

Help. I'm hungry. :D

PD, UT, V-B, et al . . .

Where can I find restaurant reviews for Vancouver online? I read Van-Mag but not so sure their "reviews" are bias-free, and family in Vancouver get tired of cutting out Vanc Province reviews for me. I think the Vanc Sun's reviews are better ... maybe they're available on line.

I used to know Jamie Maw personally who used to write the Restaurant Reviews for the Vancouver Mag. Jamie is a pretty straight shooter. However, I think I read that he may no longer writing (?) and of course he nor any writer is not going to say it was lousy meal or a dreadful restaurant. There are of course a number of on-line review sites, but you always wonder. Here is one I often look at only because it has some patrons' reviews and with that I kind of kick out the most flattering one and the worst one and go with what's left. To find the other sites just enter "Dining in Vancouver".

http://www.dinehere.ca/

Thanx P'Dude ...

I'm not just saying this because you knew him, but I always loved the way Jamie Maw wrote ... could turn a phoodie phrase like no one else. Thanks for your suggestions. Now if I could just find unbiased reviews. Oh wait, they're all written by people, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Thanx P'Dude ...

I'm not just saying this because you knew him, but I always loved the way Jamie Maw wrote ... could turn a phoodie phrase like no one else. Thanks for your suggestions. Now if I could just find unbiased reviews. Oh wait, they're all written by people, aren't they? :rolleyes:

Yes he is great! He actually was a real estate developer who started doing restaurant reviews for Vancouver Mag. as a hobby and ended liking it so much he started to do it full time. He has a mind like a steel trap when it comes names and faces. He litterly could have met you 5 years ago and if he met you again tomorrow he would remember your name and something about you.... I have always been envious of his talent.

If you really have no preference for a hotel, you should DEFINITELY try priceline - bid for a 4 star hotel in downtown Vancouver and you really cannot go wrong. Depending on when you are going to be there during cruise season you can get a room for anywhere from $100-$150 a night and you will get a great hotel.

I'm a big fan of the Westin Grand . Their suites have nice little balconies so you can get fresh air and I found their service to be excellent. They also have mini-kitchens. My only complaint from my last visit is they are under-elevatored for the hotel size.

Viv

We will be in Vancouver for four nights prior to our May 19 cruise departure and are looking for a hotel outside of the downtown area. Do you have any information on the Cassandra Hotel on Kingsway? We will have a rental car. We are retired and in our late 60s. We'd appreciate any information that you may have. Thanks.

We will be in Vancouver for four nights prior to our May 19 cruise departure and are looking for a hotel outside of the downtown area. Do you have any information on the Cassandra Hotel on Kingsway? We will have a rental car. We are retired and in our late 60s. We'd appreciate any information that you may have. Thanks.

You sound like a lot of us. Being a resident I have never stayed at the Cassandra but it is in East Vancouver in sort of a mixed retail,quasi-industrial and residential area. The rate of about $100 will be hard to duplicate in Vancouver. You may want to look at the Holiday Inn Express on Hastings St. at $120 which includes a breakfast. http://www.hievancouver.com/ There is the North Vancouver Hotel at about $110 which includes a breakfast. http://www.northvancouverhotel.ca/ How about the Comfort Inn in North Vancouver at about $120. You could also try Hotels.ca and see what you could come up with there.

I started off reading all of the posts but then realized there were so many. I hope I do not repeat a question that has already been asked. We will be arriving in Vancouver from a Southbound sailing of the Radiance of the Seas and I know there are 2 piers in Vancouver and was wondering which the Radiance docks at? I noticed that the YVR airporter does not have a stop at one of them so if that is where we dock what are the other options for getting to the airport? I have read reviews that it is difficult to get a taxi -is this true?

Thanks

I started off reading all of the posts but then realized there were so many. I hope I do not repeat a question that has already been asked. We will be arriving in Vancouver from a Southbound sailing of the Radiance of the Seas and I know there are 2 piers in Vancouver and was wondering which the Radiance docks at? I noticed that the YVR airporter does not have a stop at one of them so if that is where we dock what are the other options for getting to the airport? I have read reviews that it is difficult to get a taxi -is this true?

Most of the RCCL Corp (RCCL, Celebrity) normaly docks @ Balantyne pier, but early in the season they're at Canada Place. You can check which dock at this website http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Ballentyne is a short cab ride back to downtown, and I'd be surprised if the airporter doesn't operate there on cruise days (shoot them an email, their website is http://yvrairporter.com/ )

Unfortunately the Radiance of the Seas does come into the Ballantyne terminal which is in an industrial area about 2 miles east of Canada Place. I like you am surprised to learn that the Airporter does not pick up from Ballantyne however on their website they refernce a connection but it is unclear to me if they operate or if you have to cab it over to Canada Place where you can pick up their shuttle. However there is a 1-800 number you can phone if you wish. Yes, taxi's are not in abundance in Vancouver but there is only one ship in town that day so it shouldn't be to big a problem. A taxi fare to the airport from the pier will likely run about $40. Here is the Airporter's website link.

http://www.yvrairporter.com/

Here's your answer regarding the airporter and Ballantyne Pier

Cruise Ship Service

Canada Place Pier ( Daily Service)

We service the Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal facility from our stop at the Waterfront Hotel which is located directly across the street from Canada Place.

You will find the Waterfront Hotel listed on our schedule.

Ballantyne Pier

We do not offer direct service to or from Ballantyne Pier but a connection is possible. Ballantyne Pier is a short taxi ride from the Waterfront Hotel.

Cheers

Dennis