Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

This is a TREMENDOUS thread!! I've read all 14 pages, but I still would like some help!

We are disembarking at Canada Place about 10AM and we have reservations at the Blue Horizon. We want to see the bridge and Grouse Mountain that day. I'm thinking we should leave luggage at Canada Place (where exactly do I leave it???) and make our way to the bridge/mountain, and then pick up the luggage and taxi to the Blue Horizon. Is this a wise plan?

How do we get to the bridge/mountain via a Sea Bus??

Is the Blue Horizon close enough to Canada Place that I might not need a taxi? Can we comfortably walk to Stanley Park from it? We will try to get to Stanley after we take the Whistler tour before it takes us to the airport.

Thanks....of course, we're trying to see it ALL!

You all are wonderful citizens of the beautiful city!!!!

Cathy

This is a TREMENDOUS thread!! I've read all 14 pages, but I still would like some help!

We are disembarking at Canada Place about 10AM and we have reservations at the Blue Horizon. We want to see the bridge and Grouse Mountain that day. I'm thinking we should leave luggage at Canada Place (where exactly do I leave it???) and make our way to the bridge/mountain, and then pick up the luggage and taxi to the Blue Horizon. Is this a wise plan?

How do we get to the bridge/mountain via a Sea Bus??

Is the Blue Horizon close enough to Canada Place that I might not need a taxi? Can we comfortably walk to Stanley Park from it? We will try to get to Stanley after we take the Whistler tour before it takes us to the airport.

Thanks....of course, we're trying to see it ALL!

You all are wonderful citizens of the beautiful city!!!!

Cathy

Yes, you can do the Capilano Suspension Bridge (CSB) and the Grouse Mtn. Sky Ride quite easily after you get get off the ship. Whether you decide to check your bags or go to the Blue Horizon and leave your with the bell desk would be up to you. The Blue Horizon is about a 7/8 block walk from Canada Place so if you like to walk and have a single roller suitcase each then yes it is doable otherwise you could go at least part of the way by transit or by cab which would likely cost $10 to $12.

If you decide to go directly from CP then the SeaBus terminais about 100 paces to the east. You may want to purchase and all day transit pass for $9.00, particulalry if you are going to use transit to go to the hotel afterwards. In any event you will cross the harbour to a transit hub and you will transfer to #236 Grouse Mtn bus. Tell the driver what you want ot go to first and he/she will tell you when you get there. You will take the same bus to the CSB and the Skyride then reverse the process coming back.

With regard to Whistler, I hope that you realize that it is pretty much a full day trip up and back and if you do it I would doubt that you would have any time for Stanley Park. But the short answer is yes you can walk to Stanely Park from the Blue Horizon and its something you could do in the evening of your arrival if you have any energy left after the CSB and Grouse Mtn.

Here are a couple of links for you.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/

http://www.cdsbaggage.ca/CDS/Home.html

Is the Blue Horizon close enough to Canada Place that I might not need a taxi? Can we comfortably walk to Stanley Park from it?

To answer your first question: Yes, you can walk to the Blue Horizon from Canada Place. It is about a 15 minute walk, with a bit of an incline (not much). If you have a lot of luggage, it might be a bit of a struggle, so you might have to cab it.

To answer your second question: Yes, you can walk to Stanley Park from the Blue Horizon. It is about a 10-minute walk downhill all the way to the bottom of Robson street towards Lost Lagoon where you can hop on board a free shuttle which will take you around Stanley Park.

I have never seen the service there and I have checked their website ....nothing there. But one of the posters may have knowledge of it.

thanks for replying - someone on my roll call thread reminded me about the enhanced security ...so its unlikely that the secure wrapping will be available! ah well!!! lol

thanks for replying - someone on my roll call thread reminded me about the enhanced security ...so its unlikely that the secure wrapping will be available! ah well!!! lol

The security aspect was the first thing that leapt into my mind but I thought that perhaps you knew something that I didn't.

Putterdude and others!!!

Thanks so much for your help! That answers lots of questions....but not all!

Do you know Victoria like you know Vancouver?

We are taking the 4 night "Sky, Sea and Rail Escape" offered by Whistler Mountaineer, plus we are trying to squeeze the Bridge and Canyon and Grouse Mountain into the tour on our own while in Vancouver. That explains the "limited time."

The tour also takes us to Victoria, but placed the Whale watching tour right into the middle of the day we are there, probably because it's early in the season in mid May. We want to squeeze the Butchart Gardens into the evening after the WWatching, but the evening tour haven't started to run yet. Does anyone know how I could take the public bus from downtown Victoria (The Executive House Hotel) to Butchart Gardens). I've read somewhere that the bus is inexpensive and the taxi will cost about $50.

Maybe I should post on another forum, but I was hoping someone would also know about Victoria......if not, thanks anyway.

Cathy

I would allow the best part of 6 hours and maybe a bit more for the Capilano Suspension Bridge and the Grouse Mountain Sky and say about 3 1/2 if you were just to do the CSB.

As for Butchart Gardens, they will be open until 6 pm on May evenings when there are cruise ships in port. I have attached a link for the schedule of ships in port and maybe you will just luck out. If you are able to get out to see them, I think your best bet would be Grayline and here is link for them. You could call them on their 1800 number and see if they are operating the night you are in Victoria.

http://www.victoriaharbour.org/c_deepseacruises.php

http://www.graylinewest.com/victoria/

Just to satisfy my own curiosity I phoned Grayline and was advised that their evening tours of the gardens do not begin until June. However maybe one of the other posters on this thread will have some ideas about evening coach tours to the gardens.

How fortunate the members of the Vancouver community are to have good helpful citizens like you, Putterdude.

The Whistler train company offered to change our float plane flight time into Victoria to 7:30 and also move up the whale watching to 11, so we could be at the Gardens by 3:00, but I'm sure we'd be exhausted by then. So we'll try for an evening tour, if it happens.

Maybe I'll get to Butchart Gardens yet.

Thanks, Cathy

Have any questions? Well so many of you have helped me when I visit your cities, so hopefully I can help you.

I know the city well and work as a transit driver. And if anyone else from Vancouver knows an answer feel free to help too.

I would appreciate some help in arranging transportation from Pan Pacific Hotel to Victoria Butterfly Gardens on May 27. I will be traveling with my son, daughter in law and 2 small grandchildren. Any help and approximate costs would be helpful. I assume a taxi would not work too well?

Disregard my request about an evening tour to Butchart in

mid May.

I just learned that I was mis-informed about their hours of operation during May. They close at 6PM

Thank you anyway for all your help

Cathy

Make sure you RECHECK the schedule!!! On days when ships are in port (Victoria) they stay open until 10pm!!! Look at my Alaska link beleow to see pics (near the end of gallery) of Buchart Gardens in May last year...beautiful!

I would appreciate some help in arranging transportation from Pan Pacific Hotel to Victoria Butterfly Gardens on May 27. I will be traveling with my son, daughter in law and 2 small grandchildren. Any help and approximate costs would be helpful. I assume a taxi would not work too well?

I assume that you realize that you will have to take a ferry that is operated by BC Ferries from the Tsawwassen terminal which is 45 min to an hour from downtown Vancouver. May 27 is a weekday so you will be dealing with the commuter rush however for the most part you will be going against the rush.

So your two practical alternatives, leaving aside transit and float plane service, are to rent a car or go by Pacific Coach Lines which specialize in trips between Vancouver and Victoria and they will pick up upon request from your hotel. I have attached a link for both Pacific Coach Lines and BC Ferries. No matter which mode you choose, the trip will take between 4 to 4 1/2 hrs each way.

Should you decide that you wish to rent a car and drive, I would recommend that you consider making a reservation for the sailing you select and that will cost you an extra $15 each way. With the reservation you are guaranteed a place on the sailing but you must arrive at the terminal a minimum of 30 mins before the sailing and not more than 1 hour before the sailing. I would add that the sailing to and from Victoria is a very picturesque trip thru the Gulf Islands.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

http://www.bcferries.com/

I assume that you realize that you will have to take a ferry that is operated by BC Ferries from the Tsawwassen terminal which is 45 min to an hour from downtown Vancouver. May 27 is a weekday so you will be dealing with the commuter rush however for the most part you will be going against the rush.

So your two practical alternatives, leaving aside transit and float plane service, are to rent a car or go by Pacific Coach Lines which specialize in trips between Vancouver and Victoria and they will pick up upon request from your hotel. I have attached a link for both Pacific Coach Lines and BC Ferries. No matter which mode you choose, the trip will take between 4 to 4 1/2 hrs each way.

Should you decide that you wish to rent a car and drive, I would recommend that you consider making a reservation for the sailing you select and that will cost you an extra $15 each way. With the reservation you are guaranteed a place on the sailing but you must arrive at the terminal a minimum of 30 mins before the sailing and not more than 1 hour before the sailing. I would add that the sailing to and from Victoria is a very picturesque trip thru the Gulf Islands.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/

Thank you so much for your help. I guess we won't have time for the Butterfly Garden. It was worth considering. I really appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again Putterdude. We are three retired couples (ages 62-72) and would like your recommendations on how to make the most out of our three days pre-cruise stay in Vancouver. We will be at the Cassandra Hotel (3075 Kingsway). We will have rental cars; however we don't mind using public transportation if that is more advantageous. We would appreciate your suggestions on where to go and what to see in your fair city. We arrive the evening of May 15 and our cruise departs on May 19.

Thanks,

Dirty Harry from Dallas

With 3 ½ days here you may want to either take a drive up to Whistler, the site of many of the 2010 Winter Olympic events or go over to Victoria. Both of these excursions will require a full day. In Vancouver and surrounds things that you might want to take in would include Stanley Park and the Aquarium there and that will take anywhere from ½ to a full day to see most of it. After that then perhaps Granville Island, our Chinatown, Yaletown and Gastown which is where Vancouver started from. I would also recommend a trip over to the north shore and a visit to the Grouse Mountain Skyride, the Capilano Suspension Bridge, the Cleveland Dam and the Capilano Fish Hatchery. There is a free suspension bridge called the Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge, the Capilano and the Lynn Canyon bridges are much the same but the Lynn Canyon one does not have all of the various displays that the Capilano has. If you do not wish to pay to go up the Grouse Mountain Skyride, you and drive up either Hollyburn Mountain or Seymour Mountain and have most of the same views back over the city. Back in Vancouver you may want to consider a trip to Queen Elizabeth Park and the Maritime Museum. If you are at all interested in Native Indian arts and crafts there is quite a display of same at the University of British Columbia’s Museum of Anthropology.

You are most welcome, if there is more information you require just come on back. I will be away on a cruise next week but there are a number of very knowledgeable people who post on Vancouver topics and they will help you.

I thought I would suggest a Vancouver tour alternative for those of you on a more limited budget. I hope this is acceptable on this board...the hostelling international youth hostels here in Downtown Vancouver run some great tours that are available to the public, regardless of whether you are staying at the hostel. We have done "Eric's Tours" several times (even though we live here) as he only charges transportation and entry fee (if you do the Cap Bridge). Both tours are full day and are full of info and sights - one is Lynn Canyon and bridge, and the other is Cap Canyon and bridge - both also take in Downtown and landmarks. They are very much budget tours, as they are done by transit and independent (Eric volunteers and makes no money from them). Anyways, the link to the website is: http://www.hihostels.ca/PM/227/hi-vancouver+downtown_activities+++programs.hostel

I do hope I haven't broken any rules here. I just think this is a useful resource!

You won't go wrong if you take one of Eric's tours - I have known him for about 40 years and his love and knowledge of the city is outstanding - he learned a lot about the city when he drove bus and he now shares that info with those who are lucky enough to know about his tours - I will probably see him this Sunday as we are both working as volunteers for the Vancouver International Marathon.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi,

Just want to know what you think about the

Comfort Inn Vancouver Airport Hotel,

3031 No.3 Road Richmond,

British Columbia, Canada

Thanks,

Geo

PS, We want just a safe, clean hotel for an over night pre cruise.

Hi,

Just want to know what you think about the

Comfort Inn Vancouver Airport Hotel,

3031 No.3 Road Richmond,

British Columbia, Canada

Thanks,

Geo

PS, We want just a safe, clean hotel for an over night pre cruise.

I am not Vancouver expert. but why stay near the airport pre-cruise? I could see doing this if you had an early flight the day after disembarkation. IMO, stay in the Downtown area, get up early and enjoy the day before embarkation.

If you want reviews on a particular hotel, tripadvisor seems to get the most review traffic. Hotels fill up fast in the peak cruise season, so pick something soon :)