Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

The best hop on hop off bus service is the regular city buses. For $9/all day, you have your choice of any bus, Seabus, or Skytrain. There really isn't anywhere the city bus can't take you, they're clean, quick and really can't be beat. You can get the all day ticket at any convenience store, Translink's website has more details; http://translink.bc.ca/[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I'll look at it. I do have a question though. Are all various vehicles wheelchair friendly? That's our big issue these days whatever we do.

Any comments regarding the Ramada Limted Downtown on Pender St? We're looking for an economical hotel for a one night precruise stay in October. Is it in a good neighborhood? Close to tourist attractions? We'll be arriving via the Amtrac from Seattle and leaving from Canada Place the next day.

Thanks for any info you can supply.

The best hop on hop off bus service is the regular city buses. For $9/all day, you have your choice of any bus, Seabus, or Skytrain. There really isn't anywhere the city bus can't take you, they're clean, quick and really can't be beat. You can get the all day ticket at any convenience store, Translink's website has more details;
http://translink.bc.ca/[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I'll look at it. I do have a question though. Are all various vehicles wheelchair friendly? That's our big issue these days whatever we do.

Skytrain and Seabus are 100% accessable and buses are substantially accessable but not 100%. That said I do believe that most of the buses that operate in the downtown area are accessable but can only handle 2 chairs per bus. Perhaps Vickie who is a transit operator will elaborate on this.

Any comments regarding the Ramada Limted Downtown on Pender St? We're looking for an economical hotel for a one night precruise stay in October. Is it in a good neighborhood? Close to tourist attractions? We'll be arriving via the Amtrac from Seattle and leaving from Canada Place the next day.

Larry, the Ramada is in the 900 blk W. Pender and right next door to the office building I had my first job in back in the 60's. It was a old hotel than but in fairness it has had a big redo in recent years. It is adequate for one night but some of the rates I have seen make it not a great bargin. That said it is just a few blocks from Canada Place, Pacific Centre, Gastown Robson St. and about a 20/25 min to Stanley Park but you can bus it down to the park if you wish. It is located in the business district and very safe. You can walk to AquaRiva which is adjacent Canada Place for a seafood dinner or just go a block up (south) on Hornby St. to the Keg Caesars which is a moderately priced steak-house.

PD - I think you have mistaken the Day's Inn for the Ramada on Pender which is in the 400 W Pender and use to be the Niagara Hotel - I know that hotel quite well as my uncle was the general manager of it for years. It is in a fairly good location - an older area that is redeveloping into a much more liveable neighbourhood and as long as you turn right when you come our the front door you will be fine.

Cheers

Dennis

The best hop on hop off bus service is the regular city buses. For $9/all day, you have your choice of any bus, Seabus, or Skytrain. There really isn't anywhere the city bus can't take you, they're clean, quick and really can't be beat. You can get the all day ticket at any convenience store, Translink's website has more details;

http://translink.bc.ca/

Indeed they are. Probably more so than the hop-on hop-off tourist buses.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/Accessibility/default.asp

Putterdude: approx. how long will it take to go through customs and immigration at YVR? Our plane arrives at 1:20 PM.

I want to take the Airporter to our hotel (Sutton Place), and are the signs clearly marked after we retrieve our luggage?

And: should we get some Canadian $?

Thanks for all your valuable information!

Putterdude: approx. how long will it take to go through customs and immigration at YVR? Our plane arrives at 1:20 PM.

I want to take the Airporter to our hotel (Sutton Place), and are the signs clearly marked after we retrieve our luggage?

It will depend largely upon the number of international arrivals just prior to your arrival but if today is any indication then at about 1 to 1:30 it is not too heavy and I would guess at something about 30/40 mins by the time you get from the gate, to baggage area, thru customs and are out on the curb.

As for Canadian currency, you can go to a foregin exhange counter or an ATM at the airport and get a few dollars if you wish but if if is just overnight than it is not strictly necessary. The US dollar closed yesterday at about $1.05 CDN, what you won't get if you use the US dollar in a restaurant or somewhere is the correct exchange rate, in fact some places may only give you, say 95 cents as they have to bear the exchange fees and time to do the exhange at the bank, plus you will get your change in CDN. All of that said, if you are just here for the evening and use a credit card for your hotel, meals and larger purchases and use you US cash for tips and incidentals, you will make out just fine, longer than that then I would consider some CDN cash but you can't go wrong either way.

We arrived at the airport late morning (about 11 AM) and breezed through immigration. There were maybe 3 people in from of us. There was a little confusion as to where to go once through immigration though. We asked at an information desk and were directed in the proper direction. We took a cab and were at our downtown hotel by 1 PM or so. We found that the taxi was about the same as the Airporter for us ($27 for the 2 of us) so we opted for that. It was quicker and much more relaxing and we didn't have to wait.

We were in Vancouver for 2 nights so we elected to get some Canadian money at an exchange. We used the last of the cash at the airport when we flew home. (We did a B2B). For one night I wouldn't bother with Canadian money. As it was, we charged everything anyway. We only spent the cash because we had it.

Judy: are the taxis metered or is it a flat rate to downtown?

They are metered so if you are going to a place closer to Canada Place it would cost a little more. The hotel where we stayed is on the side of the island (?) closest to the airport. Canada Place is on the other side of downtown.

Boy, that seems like a whole lot more for just a few more blocks.:eek:

The generic fare quote into the downtown core tends to be about $35, as you move further into the core that traffic does get denser but that kind of allows for a tip as well. If you were $27 to the BW on Drake St. the Sutton Place on Burrard St. just south of Robson St. is about eight blocks away and that would be the best part of $5 more on a weekday afternoon in downtown traffic.

We arrived at 2:30 p.m. on Friday the 15th.....almost walked straight through customs...no hang ups what so ever. We hired Limo Jet Services for our ride to the Best Western Downtown on the corner of Granville and Drake. I am very glad we did this....The cost was 50.00 plus tip for 3 people with 7 pices of luggage..Traffic was starting to get backed up because of a protest infront of the chinese consulat...people were protesting Tibet...If we were in a metered taxi I couldn't imagine what the cost would have been.

We checked into our hotel by 3:30 and went straight over to Stanley Park. We enjoyed the aquarium very much along with the baby beluga. We had to bring a taxi back to our hotel becaue we didn't have exact change for the city bus..Oh well no big deal to us.

Saturday morning we took a city wide tour with Land and Seas Tour company with a drop off at Ballentyne pier. We had a great time with our driver Dirk. We were able to enjoy many sites of Vancouver with the tour company that we probably wouldn't of had time to do on our own.

I got to get back to work now...I will check back later or tomorrow and continue with our visit to vancouver.

Angela

P.s. we did a post stay on the 23rd...

http://translink.bc.ca/[/quote]

yes I would say that about 90% of the buses downtown are accessible; however you will encounter a few that are not especially during rush hour when non accessible buses are brought in to take care of the crowds.

Transit is very efficient and quick... a $9 day pass is a great option and you can travel anywhere in the lower mainland on bus, seabus, or skytrain.

Drivers are usually very helpful and use to tons of questions.

Enjoy our great city.

yes I would say that about 90% of the buses downtown are accessible; however you will encounter a few that are not especially during rush hour when non accessible buses are brought in to take care of the crowds.

Transit is very efficient and quick... a $9 day pass is a great option and you can travel anywhere in the lower mainland on bus, seabus, or skytrain.

Drivers are usually very helpful and use to tons of questions.

Enjoy our great city.

We arrive on Amtrak from Seattle tomorrow morning and look forward to an all-too-brief stay. Thanks for the info about city buses being 90% accessible. That expands our options.

Beth

:o Disembarking-YUCK....getting off the ship was fine, going through customs took about an hire. There was only 4 people at the custom stations. No comments were made as to how come there weren't more customs agents.

We used a taxi to take us back to our hotel for a post stay. From the Cruise Pier to Best Western on the corner of Drake and Granville cost 9.50 plus tip. We used a van since we had 7 pieces of luggage for 3 people.

We checked into our hotel at 10:30 then headed off to Robson Street. We found the underground mall that some of the cruise passengers had beent alking about. We enjoyed a quick lunch in the food court. My husband choose chinese food, apparently it was the best he's ever had.

Land and Sea Tours picked us up at our hotel at 1:45 for a north shore tour. After picking up other hotel guests we headed across Lions Gate Bridge. we enjoyed the tour guides informative commentary along the way.

The tour started off at the Capilano Fish Hatchery. Waterfall was beautiful. We took many pictures of the gorgouse scenerey. Next stop Grouse Mountain. I couldn't believe the tram operator when he said everyone move forward we carry 100 people at a time. We felt like canned sardines inside the tram(Gondola). Once on top of the mountain we enjoyed some of the sites. The crowds were rediculous. As we walked past the very long line of people waiting to get down the mountain. The line actually stretched to the two eagle tree statues just before the lumber jack show. The lumbrjack show was entertaining if you have never scene anything like it before, which we hadn't. The bears were frolicking in the tall grass, growling and grunting at one another. We didn't buy any snacks or beverages because of the lines. When our time had expired on the mountain the tour guide lead past the very long line to the front. I'm sure that some people were upset that 22 people had cut in front of them. Once on board we asked the tram operated how long people had been waiting and she stated 1.5 hrs....Yuck...I'm glad we were part of a tour.

Well i need to get back ot work....I will finish part 2 later...probably tomorrow as you can see my scene name says daycare provider...little people are waking up.

Yes it can get busy on Grouse - in addition to all the tours taking people to the top there are hundreds of people hiking up the Grouse Grind trail EACH HOUR - and almost all of them ride the Gondola down - most have like me an annual pass so we just get in line and wait or else you pay $5.00 for a one time down trip.

There was also a charity cancer walk up the mountain a couple of weeks ago on either a Saturday or Sunday so if you were there then it would be even busier.

Grouse is one of our top five attractions so it doesn't surprise me that it can get busy during the summer months and especially if the weather is sunny and clear.

Grouse has been known to start up the smaller blue gondola to help with overflow crowds if they have the personnel available.

As I know a driver with Land and Sea tours do you remember the name of yours.

Glad you enjoyed the tour and look forward to the remainder of your trip report.

Cheers

Dennis

Grace,

I priced LimoJet Gold and their prices are real reasonable.

Sedan which holds 3, is $39 + 5%tax

Limo which holds up to 6, is 45 + tax

This is a quote from their web site "to most downtown hotels" and when I called they said no reservations had to be made they are stationed at YVR 24 hours a day. All you have to do is drag your luggage to the curb and they will be there. You might even find someone coming into YVR from our CC roll call at the same time and share a limo, that's what we are doing with SCOOTER#1 on Wednesday. Barb;)

:) Land and Sea Tours took us to Capilano after Grouse Mountain....the crowds were much smaller. We really enjoyed our stop here. We had read many posts telling us that Capilano wasn't worth the money. I would have to disagree. We really enjoyed our visit.

I was expecting just to walk across a swaying foot bridge, that clearly wan't the case. When our group walked throught he gates, we were greeted by a couple of indians(I can't remember the tribes) in full costume. This was very nice top see. We saw the story poles(totem poles), walked the bridge and enjoyed the view from the tree top experience.

After our time here we drove over to the water taxi's...here we took a boat(ferry) over to the waterfront area near Canada Place. Traffic was becoming difficult to drive through at this time. Our tour guide had to split our group into 3 different vans to deliver the guests back to thier hotels.

I don't think I would have done these excursuions individually or on our own. It was hassle free, informative, less expensive and the conversations were great with the people we met on the tour.

We paid 115 pp for an all day experience. We didn't return to our hotel until after 8:30m p.m..

I would highly recommend any tour by Land and Seas Tour Company....the vehicles are comfortable and air conditioned.

We left our hotel on Sunday the 24th at 7:00 a.m. for a 10:00 a.m. flight. Once again we had hired Gold Limo Services. Our limo drive was kind enough to take us to McDonalds so we could grab some breakfast and coffee. Our ride out to the airport only took 25 minutes with our stop because there wasn't any traffic.

I'm really glad we left our hotel early. Checking in at the counter was no big deal(Alaska Airlines)...getting through security and customs took over an hour and a half...The day we left Vancouver it was raining....when we returned home it 100 at 9:00 p.m...I'm sure glad we boarded the plane wearing shorts. We would have wilted when got off the plane if we were wearing pants.:eek:

Angela from California

Angela - glad that for the most part you had a good trouble free stay in Vancouver - the Indians or First Nations people you met would probably be members of the Squamish First Nations as the Bridge is located on part of there traditional territory.

No the drivers you had with Land and Sea were not my friend.

Cheers

Dennis

Kenish - refresh my memory - were you there while the fireworks were on - if so that would explain it as a lot of places close early on those nights.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi Dennis- We were there on July 5, so just an ordinary Saturday. We wished we were there during the fireworks or Canada Day.