What so great about the Hump

BillfromWV

Sheila, we were so happy to have our binoculars with us for the Panama Canal! There was a navy sub next to us and it was really interesting to watch all their procedures and the gun boats alongside as they entered the canal. You never know what you might see at sea!

I am sure they will be handy...When we were on Liberty in Sept there was a rescue at sea...we kept saying "I wish I had binoculars!" LOL:o

Wow....now that's a fluke isn't it??

Don't worry...when we get back I will let you know exactly how "your" cabin will be and I'm betting it's going to be GREAT!!! :D

Happy Sailing!

Dianne

That will be great! LOL First hand news about our cabin-to-be!

Thanks Dianne!:)

Happy Sails to you too!

These cabins are the same size as any other cabin in their category and most of them have the same size balcony. Only a few of them on certain areas of the hump, on certain ships, have a larger balcony.

On the Radiance class ships especially, there are hump cabins with bigger balconies. These balconies hold lounge chairs plus the regular chairs and table.

Voyager class ships the balconies are a tiny bit bigger on the end hump cabins. They still only hold 2 chairs and a small table from what others have posted. ?

These hump cabins are in a great central location, have a great view, have totally private balconies because you are out further from the ship than all others, are near the elevators and the stairs, and yet there is no extra noise because of that. ;)

The center Hump cabins are the prime choice with the best views. ;)

You can see the difference in the Radiance class and the Voyager class hump cabins and balconies by clicking on the thumbnails. ;)

Our hump balcony had 3 chairs and a table - with room to spare.

Can you tell us the ship and cabin number? I Found it. :D

I post a lot about hump cabins and this is how I get the information besides from my own experience. From other posters like yourself. ;)

Thanks

EDIT: 9622, D1 on Deck 9 Mariner? I opened your review. ;)

We just had a great hump cabin on the Jewel - 9576. It was the best balcony we have ever had due to the fact it was bigger than the standard balcony. It was pie shaped and even had a lounger on it including two additional regular chairs and a small table. I would book it again in a second.

It was also the quietest cabin we have ever had. We had a problem on the Island Princess in a hump cabin - B503 (mini suite) - there was a service door right across from the cabin and on the last night the off loading of luggage was unbearable. And on other nights we would sometimes hear housekeeping or maintenance people talking and laughing.

Can you tell us the ship and cabin number? I Found it. :D

I post a lot about hump cabins and this is how I get the information besides from my own experience. From other posters like yourself. ;)

Thanks

EDIT: 9622, D1 on Deck 9 Mariner? I opened your review. ;)

:) I had heard so many different things about humps - balconies are larger, they're the same size; rooms are larger, they're the same size... I didn't know what to expect when we got to our room. I'd say the rooms are probably about the same size, BUT... between our curtains and the balcony door there was about a 2 foot gap. Do you know if this is typical or if that accounts for the extra room in the "hump"? (I'll have to cruise again to know for sure, I guess! lol) I'm not sure about the balcony either... my hunch is that it was very similar to others. If it is bigger, then my guess is that it's not larger by much. OH... since you're interested in hump cabins, you may be interested to know that cabin 9622 and 9620 are MID hump (it does NOT look this way on the deck plans). I thought we'd be at the beginning of the hump, but that was not the case.

The "center hump" balconies are the same size as any side balcony. On some ships (Radiance class) there are a couple of balconies on the ends of the hump that are larger than standard. The advantage of center hump cabins is an unobstructed view forward and back along the entire length of the ship. Hump cabins are conveniently located as was already mentioned.

We do like the hump cabins, but if one is not available, it is not a real big deal. Have a wonderful cruise!

Qtmichele---I have 9620, next to the room you had, do you know if that room will have 3 chairs on the balcony? What did you think of your view? We have only have a aft cabin before(back of the ship). Can you see the front and back of the ship from this cabin? Thanks kmbb

kmbb... I'm not sure if having 3 chairs is standard or not. The 3rd chair on our balcony was slightly different than the other 2 - a bit smaller, but still suitable for an adult.

Our best view was straight out! The biggest "surprise" I had with the hump cabin is that I thought it would be EASY to see from forward to aft. However, I really had to lean out (mind you, I was not leaning out dangerously!) to get a decent view. I would not book this cabin strictly on the view, but for the convenience/location. Just my opinion. I'm 5'5" - maybe someone much taller would find it easier to see from one end to the other??

Edited to add... I think you'll love your location!!! Your cabin door will be one door down from the hallway entrance. Our door was right at the entrance to the hallway - NOT bad at all (it was quiet!), but there are times when people will stand near the stair cases and can watch your comings and goings (not an issue for me, but may be for some).

:) I had heard so many different things about humps - balconies are larger, they're the same size; rooms are larger, they're the same size... I didn't know what to expect when we got to our room. I'd say the rooms are probably about the same size, BUT... between our curtains and the balcony door there was about a 2 foot gap. Do you know if this is typical or if that accounts for the extra room in the "hump"? (I'll have to cruise again to know for sure, I guess! lol) I'm not sure about the balcony either... my hunch is that it was very similar to others. If it is bigger, then my guess is that it's not larger by much. OH... since you're interested in hump cabins, you may be interested to know that cabin 9622 and 9620 are MID hump (it does NOT look this way on the deck plans). I thought we'd be at the beginning of the hump, but that was not the case.

I have had 8320 on the Navigator and I know it is mid hump. ;) One deck down and directly across the ship from 9620. I Love that cabin. Deck 9 cabins on the hump are lined up different than the lower decks because of the suites. That is why you were mid hump. There are 4 cabins mid hump on Deck 9.

On Deck 8, you would have been one cabin off the center hump. 8320 and 8318 and 8620 and 8618 are the mid hump cabins.

That 2 feet in your cabin is what some CC's consider a waste of space and would rather have seen it added to their balcony. ;)

Thanks to your post, I now know all this about Deck 9. ;)

I stayed in a hump cabin on the Mariner and loved the location! I wouldn't hesitate to book a hump cabin for future cruises! :)

Since I've been on only one cruise, I have a question for all the seasoned cruisers... In our hump cabin, there was about two feet of space between the curtain and the balcony door. Do non-hump cabins have this gap between the door and the curtain, or is this unique to the hump cabins? This space wasn't being utilized, but I can see how useful it would be to us if we share a cabin with our girls on our next cruise (toys, laundry, etc.). THANKS!

I've sailed on Mariner twice, and the first time was in a hump cabin (9310). We had that extra bit of space behind the curtain- I used it to keep the little glass table (placed in front of the couch) so we could use it to hold extra plates,etc. from room service. The second time on Mariner we were in 9568, and we didn't HAVE that little bit of extra space behind the curtain. I did miss it!

I'm going to guess that the extra space would only be on the "side hump" cabins. Can anyone confirm? I'm taking my sister on the Navigator next January for her big 5-0 birthday and we are in cabin 6318- in the center of the hump. Any size difference for the cabin or balcony? Has anyone ever been in this cabin before? I chose it because it was so central to everything. It's my sister's first cruise, and I am so excited to introduce her to one of MY favorite things!!

Thanks for confirming that bit about the extra space between the curtain and the door! Putting the "coffee table" in that area is a great idea!!! When I was using the vanity, my hubby had to move the table in order to get to the other side of the room.

Archived