Snorkeling Rum Point

cruisin0308

Now that my wife's excited about going to Rum Point for the Rum Cake, it looks like that's where I'll be doing my snorkeling. ;) Our son and daughter will also be with us, we're all strong swimmers. Where would our best locations be to find the good reefs, and are currents a problem? Any reefs that are marked? Can we rent snorkeling gear? Any other useful information would be appreciated.

We went to Rum Point after our "Rays Reef and Rum Point" excursion thru Nativeway Watersports http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

We walked off our boat, down the dock to the picnic table area and onto the beach in the lounge chair area. We saw just a few folks snorkeling around and under the docks but that was it. I'm not real sure there is any great snorkeling there since we only saw those few people. Perhaps someone who's snorkeled there can tell you better. All I know is the fish is FRESH and the water was calm and warm. The beach was a bit crowded, it's not a HUGE beach, but it was a great place to end our day :)

Now that my wife's excited about going to Rum Point for the Rum Cake, it looks like that's where I'll be doing my snorkeling. ;) Our son and daughter will also be with us, we're all strong swimmers. Where would our best locations be to find the good reefs, and are currents a problem? Any reefs that are marked? Can we rent snorkeling gear? Any other useful information would be appreciated.

First, you know that there's no rum cake at Rum Point, right? It's just the name of the beach...

Red Sail is the watersports company there. I think the pricing and stuff is available on their website, and if not, you could always contact them directly. http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

There's good snorkelling there...it's one of my DH's favorite places to snorkel. I'm more familiar with the bar and the hammocks, though, so I can't give you too much info about what areas there are the best. :D

We had about 90 mins at Rum Point and that was very nice. We ate, walked around a bit and played in the water, lounged...so relaxing after all the snorkeling and stuff. From Rum Point our guides took us via the tour boat back to the yacht club, then board a van back to the pier, just a few mins drive. We 2 were the only ones on the tour from our ship and our ship's last tender was the earliest so we were cutting it close but Sharon from Native Way said she guaranteed we'd make it. I trusted her and am glad I did. Now this is what I mean when I say Native Way ROCKS: going back to the pier where the tender lines were via the tours van we would have made it in plenty of time to our tender line, but Sharon from Native Way came and got the 2 of us in her CAR and drove just myself and my daughter back to the tender line! She said she promised and didn't want me to worry so she'd drive us back herself! I totally trusted her b'c her pic is on the website and I'd emailed back and forth with her so many times. They really want you to have a good time but they also want you not to WORRY so to me they really stand by their word and I can never say enough good things about this company!!!!! They really roll out the red carpet for you :)

We also looked into RedSail, and although the idea of the catamaran was cool to us, the price for just snorkeling and sting rays was more expensive than Native Way's snorkeling, sting rays AND the INCLUDED lunch and stop at Rum Point (Rays, Reef, and Rum Point.)

Whatever you decide to do in Grand Cayman, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived