A2 upsell

brovol

i just got an up-sell, from an ab penthouse to an a2 courtyard villa suite, for my 3/29 gem cruise. i took it, but i am not sure what more i am getting, besides access to the courtyard. does anyone know if the a2 room will be bigger than the penthouse suite? i think the layout is the same. they confirmed that both categories have two bedrooms and two bathrooms. if anyone has any info, i would love to hear what you know. thanks.

IIRC, the A2 is an Owner's Suite that is very different from the AB (on Jewel class ships). It sleeps only 2, with 1 bedroom and 1 (or 1 1/2?) bath. But it has a large balcony with a hot tub, on the very top deck of the ship (above the courtyard). The A3 is the suite that is set up like the AB, and is on the Courtyard deck. If it is the A3, I believe they are very similar in size and layout, some have said the balcony may be a bit larger. Just curious, how much was your upsell?

Robin

IIRC, the A2 is an Owner's Suite that is very different from the AB (on Jewel class ships). It sleeps only 2, with 1 bedroom and 1 (or 1 1/2?) bath. But it has a large balcony with a hot tub, on the very top deck of the ship (above the courtyard). The A3 is the suite that is set up like the AB, and is on the Courtyard deck. If it is the A3, I believe they are very similar in size and layout, some have said the balcony may be a bit larger. Just curious, how much was your upsell?

Robin

i just realized that i incorrectly said a2, when it was an a3 that we upgraded to. the offer was $600 for the cabin (2adults, 2 kids). i thought about a counteroffer, but decided not to chance it. my only concern is that the a3 also has the two bathrooms, so we can keep the kids out of the big bathroom. my travel agent said it does have two bathrooms, but i cant find independent confirmation.

i just realized that i incorrectly said a2, when it was an a3 that we upgraded to. the offer was $600 for the cabin (2adults, 2 kids). i thought about a counteroffer, but decided not to chance it. my only concern is that the a3 also has the two bathrooms, so we can keep the kids out of the big bathroom. my travel agent said it does have two bathrooms, but i cant find independent confirmation.

I believe it has two bathrooms just like the AB's. Try this for some pictures of an A3 suite: http://www.depping-design.de/test/thumbnails.php?album=75

We had an A3 on the Gem in January. The master bedroom has a queen size bed and huge bath. The other bedroom is very small with a double bed/sofa on the bottom and a single bunk on top with a small bathroom with shower. It would depend on the ages of the kids, how to work out the sleeping. They have a tv with DVD in their small bedroom and a large selection of dvd's delivered by your butler. If you wish, you may bring a few newer releases to add to their enjoyment. We had the housekeeping staff keep the bed made up as a bed all the time. The access to the Courtyard is priceless. We were able to get up and put on our bathing suits and have breakfast in the courtyard, swim and jacuzzi all day and have lunch delivered to the same area. You may want to go to the childlren's pool or slide during the day, but if the kids go to camp, you will love the courtyard. Up there you are able to swim, jacuzzi all the time regardless of the weather because of the retractable roof. Especially nice on the sea days. Don't forget the swimmies as the pool is 4+ ft deep. You made a great choice. It is a vacation that I will never forget or afford again. We also got it on an upsale. Enjoy!!!

Excellent deal! We were offered an upsell to this category from an AC last summer, at the ridiculous rate of somewhere over $2000 for the two of us. It was such a port intensive trip (Med) that we turned it down. I have been in the AB, and I had 2 17 year olds in that extra bedroom, no problem (I had the big bed and bath all to myself!). We also kept the beds down all the time, and the girls decided just to share the larger lower bed, as it was much more crowded with the upper bunk down. Have a great trip!

Robin

thanks for the info. i agree that it was a good up-sell deal. when my agent said $600, i thought it was per person, but it wasn't. she had the ncl rep on the other line, who confirmed$600 total. the kids are fired up about the courtyard. thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

We had two Owner's Suites on the Jewel in September (W. Med.) and it was SO fantastic to have the courtyard. In fact, after that, we took a New Year's cruise in a regular NCL balcony and decided that the exclusivity of the private pool was a decision maker going forward. Throughout the cruise, we found ourselves yearning for the past cruise experience.

The butler service is perfection. PLUS, Cagney's is amazing for breakfast and lunch...filet mignon and eggs for breakfast? YES. ;) I've been a big fan of Celebrity's suites due their butler service, but after the NCL suite, we've been won over. You got an amazing deal to experience what very few cruisers will ever have...luxury to the extreme. You SHOULD be very excited. A steal of an offer. Enjoy.

The downside...when you get home; you'll definately notice that the vacation is over. Where is a butler when you need one! Beware, you will be spoiled for the remainder of your cruising future and will hold future cruises to the same standard of service and ammenities that you experience on your high end NCL suite cruise.

I sent a letter to NCL to thank them for the amazing experience and to let them know that they've got Celebrity beaten hands down when it comes to the Courtyard and higher suites.

Seriously, I'm so jealous! You are about to experience pure luxury.

We had two Owner's Suites on the Jewel in September (W. Med.) and it was SO fantastic to have the courtyard. In fact, after that, we took a New Year's cruise in a regular NCL balcony and decided that the exclusivity of the private pool was a decision maker going forward. Throughout the cruise, we found ourselves yearning for the past cruise experience.

The butler service is perfection. PLUS, Cagney's is amazing for breakfast and lunch...filet mignon and eggs for breakfast? YES. ;) I've been a big fan of Celebrity's suites due their butler service, but after the NCL suite, we've been won over. You got an amazing deal to experience what very few cruisers will ever have...luxury to the extreme. You SHOULD be very excited. A steal of an offer. Enjoy.

The downside...when you get home; you'll definately notice that the vacation is over. Where is a butler when you need one! Beware, you will be spoiled for the remainder of your cruising future and will hold future cruises to the same standard of service and ammenities that you experience on your high end NCL suite cruise.

I sent a letter to NCL to thank them for the amazing experience and to let them know that they've got Celebrity beaten hands down when it comes to the Courtyard and higher suites.

Seriously, I'm so jealous! You are about to experience pure luxury.

We're in an Owner's Suite for our Gem Mediterranean cruise May 18 (#10504). I'm assuming the Jewel and Gem are similar in layout. Did you notice a bit more rocking and rolling being in the front of the ship? I've always booked mid-ship staterooms before so I have no experience on either end! I know movement has a lot to do with the weather but I was just curious about your experience.

Can't wait to sail!

Archived