Live from the Oosterdam

KLLund

Sorry I am so late in the trip posting this .. hmmmm could be we are having too much fun !!

here is a partial review

HAL Oosterdam Feb 23 – Mar 1 Mexican Riviera

Pre-cruise we stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay in San Diego. This is a moderately priced hotel for the area. It is across the street from Anthony’s Fish Restaurant which is really very good. It has a great little Pub /Restaurant called the Elephant and Castle that serves great drinks at night and breakfast that is either a buffet or a regular menu. But most important is that it is across the street from the cruise ship terminal, and if you reserve a tower room, and get up at a ridiculous hour of the morning, you can watch the Oosterdam arrive in port. A huge benefit to staying there.

Embarkation:

Can we all say EASY. This was a breeze. Drop of the bags in bins outside, walk inside, show ID and boarding pass, fill out the health questionnaire, get in a short check in line, show them the credit card you are using, smile for the camera, stop of another picture and you are on board. Probably 20 minutes from arrival to the first mojito on the lido deck. I have never seen better.

The rooms were ready, and in our case the luggage was there by 1:30 .. unpacked and ready to play by 2PM.

We grabbed the banner and met on deck 5 forward for the Banner wave to start the week just right. Thank you Lisa. About 17 of us showed up so it was just right.

The life boat drill was well done. Enough said there .. it is what it is and it is a part of every cruise and it was over quickly and the Party Started!!

SHIP

We were last on the Oosterdam in 2003 when she was brand spanking new and I think someone has taken loving care of this beautiful boat. She is just as lovely today as she was back then. Our balcony stateroom was really nice, and I am now promising myself that next time I am getting and Aft SB .. for the balcony alone.. but that is for next time. This was more than enough for us to enjoy, move around, store all the clothing etc and relax with a glass of wine as the ocean rolled by.

DINING

Ok here we run into the ONLY problem of the entire cruise to date. We were confirmed with late seating and a table for 8. We arrived to a 4 top with one elderly gentleman who was also sailing on his first cruise, with Air America, and had been assured of a large table of like minded individuals. It was ok, but not the most comfortable evening. A quick trip to the Maitre D the next day fixed us up with a table for 6 with two other couples that were similarly disenchanted the evening before. We had great table mates for the rest of the cruise. Unfortunately, we had chosen the dining time given over to most of the Air America cruisers and the service was not what one would expect. We started to pay more attention to what was going on around and it was quickly apparent that the Air America group was not making a favorable impression. Somehow they seemed to think that since they paid so much more for the same cruise and there were so many of them that they should get different treatment. I truly felt sorry for the dining staff, I think some of that group left their manners at home. By the 3rd night service did get better but it never seemed quite up to the par one is used to on HAL, or really on any cruise ship. I am writing this before the second formal night and will add/amend it as appropriate.

SHORE EXCURSIONS

Now I have to say the ones we picked have to rank right up there with some of the best shore excursions we have experienced anywhere in the world. From Cabo San Lucas we went to Todos Santos for lunch at the Hotel California. This is a very interesting drive through the desert of Baja California from the bay at Cabo on the Sea of Cortez to the Pacific ocean, where the driver stopped at an unscheduled spot because there were lots of whales to see. The town itself is charming and some of the art work, most notable Rueben Gutierrez is spectacular. By the way the Gutierrez pottery is very reasonably priced. Then it was lunch at the Hotel California which I thought was wonderful, but my husband did not find to be spicy enough.

In Mazatlan, we signed up for the Shrimp Fest. We went to a lovely private residence, up in on a hill overlooking the entire city, with gorgeous gardens and lovely terraces set up for the crowd. They served Margaritas and beer and sodas all day and a buffet of all the shrimp you could eat, in three different styles along with rice and beans and guacamole and salsa and chips and of course tortillas. A small artisans gallery was on the grounds and I bought the most amazing citrine and freshwater pearl necklace and then met the designer of the necklace who offered to make me clip on earrings to go with it and email me when she had designed them.

In Puerto Vallarta, we did Rhythms of the Night and I just have to say .. do not miss that excursion. It starts with an approx one hour catamaran ride to a private beach all lit with tike torches and absolutely gorgeous. Dinner was truly memorable as each party had a table for the number of people they designated. It was a buffet, but there were so many buffet’s set up that there were no lines. Waiters brought you drinks and whatever else you wanted. Then a show, and I will admit I was not looking forward to that part because some of the cultural shows are boring .. but this one was spectacular. Then the catamaran back with all of the stars, the lights of Puerto Vallarta and finally the gorgeous Oosterdam lit up for the evening.. Truly a wonderful experience.

More when we get home.

Archived