best tours to take in Cozumel and Honduras

cj013

Cruising the Western Caribbean on the Legend the end of March and would like recommendations for the best tours while in Cozumel and Honduras. Also does anyone know what the Twister tour in Cozumel is, I know it must be a boat but, it is 5 hours.

When we were in Honduras (10-06) we had a private tour thru Victor Bodden. I found him on this web site and booked before we left. We paid $80. for the day. Our guide met us at the pier and drove us around all day in a nice van with cool air conditioning. You customize your own tour. Our guide suggested he take us to the Zip Line first and we beat the ship's tour. We had no wait. This zipline is in the rainforest and tops our adventures. The guide dropped us off at the top of the mountain and picked us up at the bottom. The zipline had 21 stops, 15 zip rides, 6 bridges that we had to cross and 1 very smallrock wall to climb. The internet description did not describe the bridges or the wall or I probably would not have had the courage to attempt this activity. We were strapped into harnesses and walked down a steep hill to the first zip line. It was me, DH and a young teenage guide. Each stop was a platform built around a tree in the rainforest. The guide would hook our harnesses onto the pulley and we would stand on the edge of the platform and sort of just fall off of the edge. The first one was definitely the scariest. It was so much fun though. The bridges were all different. One was just a tightrope and we had to hang on to two guide ropes. Another bridge was made up of wood 2X4s about 2 feet long, hung on to pieces of rope and once you stepped on you had to put one foot on another piece and then swing the other piece to the person behind you. Crazy! Another was a series of three wood cylinders so we had to bend down and crawl thru to them and then jump into the next one. Crazier!! The other bridges were much easier. Climbing the wall was something I did not know I could do and I had to use every bit of strength I had to climb up it. I really felt like I was on Survivor. It felt so good to make it and the rest of the course felt like a breeze.

After the zipline the guide took us to the Iguana Farm where we fed the hundreds of iguanas. They were all sizes, from babies to huge ones. They also had big turtles, conchs and fish. Spider monkeys and pretty parrots.

After the farm the guide took us to a primitive resort on a beautiful beach. We snorkeled off of the beach and saw lots of pretty coral and loads of colorful fish. For lunch I ate lobster, three tails w/a salad, baked potato, steamed veggies and coconut bread- $16.00. Bill had two large pieces of coconut grouper w/the same sides-$10.00. Probably the best food on the entire trip. (The resort had small air conditioned huts on stilts that rent for 50 bucks a night. We would love to stay there sometime.) They also had a small straw market.

We were dropped off in town and did some shopping. We got some good deals on silver. I also bought a pair of Dolce and Gabbana knock off sunglasses for $6.00.

You can e-mail Victor at VictorBodden@yahoo.com. His English writing is not perfect but the service he offers is awesome. Our guide was extremely informative, pleasant and helpful. We tipped him well and if we had more cash w/us would have given him more because he was so very worth it! Hope this helps! Enjoy your trip!:)

In Cozumel I recommend you to rent your own jeep and drive around the island and hit some beaches. Don't forget a stop at Coconuts!!!! We have done this twice and have really loved it. It is very easy to rent a jeep.

in cozumel try an all inclusive beach day. pay like 30-50$ and get drinks and non motorized beach toys to use all day.

mr sanchos, paradise beach, playa mia, etc. can do on your own no problem. cozumel taxi system is easy.

When you are in Cozumel if you have the option to go to Tulum and see the ruins I would highly suggest this tour through the ship. I would not suggest trying this on your own due to having to take a ferry and bus ride to the ruins. If you are not into this type of thing Coz is very easy to get around by yourself. You can walk or taxi very easily depending on where your dock is located. Just negotiate your rate before you get into the cab. I would not suggest driving in Mexico! IMHO they drive like maniacs and the streets are narrow. I have read threads where if you are involved in an accident/ticket you pay for it before they let you go on--too big a risk for me!

I really enjoyed the snorkel/kayak tour in Roatan. Some very good snorkeling and the west end of the island is like the caribbean must have been 40 years ago. Dirt roads and dive shops and restaurants and small inns. Very charming.

Jeff

I second the Tulum tour. It was fantastic!

We did the Mexican cuisine tour in Cozumel. It was so much fun! We cooked a 3 course meal and then ate it. Open bar the whole time and the opportunity to shop or go to the beach afterwards. It was at playa mia.

My dh said it was his favorite tour ever!

We went to Tabanya Beach at Roatan. If I had it to do over, I would stay on the ship. This is a poor island and the prices are high. ($5 for a float) We rode on an old school bus to the beach.

However, the beach was lovely and the water fantastic.

Archived