FLL Avis says they dont shuttle?

love2306

My parents just picked up their car from avis at the FLL airport and asked about the shuttle to the port and were told avis doesnt do that. Anybody have experience with a shuttle from avis, i thought all the companies shared one shuttle together. Please respond ASAP as we leave early in the morning to join them and if there now shuttle we'll have to find another way to the port.

Download and print this flyer. Show them the car-rental section. If they still refuse then just grab a cab for the $12 ride to the port. When you get home file a complaint with the Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau, the publisher of the cruise guide.

http://www.co.broward.fl.us/port/pdfs/cruiseguide/cruise_guide_2007_whatsnew.pdf

Technically they're right, they don't do it. All of the car rental companies share a shuttle bus operated by Broward County. This has cut traffic around the airport and cruiseport by taking the individual shuttles vans/buses off the road.

i agree on the technicality, what ever would we do without these boards with friendly help? I would think the rental agencies would be advertising it all over, seems like an awfully good deal to me. Do you happen to know if it only runs certain times, bequia? My parents said later on they spoke with someone about it and they said it only runs from 12 to 4? Nothing is mentioned like that in the booklet, so i didnt know if you knew.

That wouldn't make sense as people returning from a cruise rent cars as well. Keep in mind the port is only 2.5 miles from the airport, a ten minute ride. Sometimes a free shuttle can be more of a hassle then it's worth. You have to stop at every terminal while people get on and off, great if yours is the first stop, not so great if it's the last.

The shuttle is right outside at debarkation. The porters will take you there. Free and easy.

I had trouble getting TO th eport last time- hoping things go better today as we depart on Jewel.

The brochure states single point, is that correct or do them mean a single point at each cruise terminal? Just wondering how much walking for DD and DW with bags upon arrival back as we plan to use Avis upon arrival home.

Any clarification is much apprciated.

That wouldn't make sense as people returning from a cruise rent cars as well. Keep in mind the port is only 2.5 miles from the airport, a ten minute ride. Sometimes a free shuttle can be more of a hassle then it's worth. You have to stop at every terminal while people get on and off, great if yours is the first stop, not so great if it's the last.

I really try to stay away from the shuttles....especially in Fort Lauderdale where everything is so close. Not only all the airline terminals they stop at....we spent an hour inside the port once, dropping off at every ship...you know ours was last:cool:

I really try to stay away from the shuttles....especially in Fort Lauderdale where everything is so close. Not only all the airline terminals they stop at....we spent an hour inside the port once, dropping off at every ship...you know ours was last:cool:

I couldn't agree with you more. The free shuttles are more trouble then they're worth more often then not.

What's to stop someone who just wants to get to the airport from getting a free ride on the rental shuttle?

We rented from Avis in Feb 2007 and Avis at the rental car center told us there was no shuttle. However, they offered to drive us in the car we had just returned and we took them up on this. They received a nice big tip.

Later, we sat in the cruise ship and watched the "non-existent" rental car shuttle dropping people off for a while.

On our return to Port Everglades, the porter told us there was no shuttle to the airport until we told him "We SAW the rental car busses". He replied "Oh, yes, there is a RENTAL car shuttle, not an AIRPORT shuttle." When we got on the shuttle, the driver asked "What rental car agency?" When we replied "Avis", he told us that Avis did not participate in the shuttle. He pointed to the marquee on the side of the bus and "Avis" was not displayed. I said that all the companies were together in the terminal, so how could it be that Avis didn't participate? He shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess that they didn't want to pay." However, he did "let" us ride in the bus and also received a good tip.

I should have had a copy of the 2007 county brochure that Bequia posted.

In any case, if someone told the driver that they were renting from a car, I doubt that the driver would have known. However, it would be a real pain for someone who just wanted to go to the airport because that would mean transferring to another bus at the rental car center.

So question...just want to clarify...

If I rent a car from the FLL airport from any of the listed agencies on that brochure...I *should* be able to catch a shuttle from the airport car rental center to Port Everglades, correct? (Note to self: avoid Avis if possible)

So question...just want to clarify...

If I rent a car from the FLL airport from any of the listed agencies on that brochure...I *should* be able to catch a shuttle from the airport car rental center to Port Everglades, correct?

Correct

Archived