Irons or Steamers in cabin?

hobbshadow

The search option is down, otherwise I would have searched for this answer, but here is the question.

Are we allowed to bring irons/steamers to use in the rooms? I looked at ncl.com's list of what not to bring on board and it doesn't mention it.

If we have one in our luggage (which would show up on X-ray) would we get flagged to have to go to the naughty room?

Thanks,

The search option is down, otherwise I would have searched for this answer, but here is the question.

Are we allowed to bring irons/steamers to use in the rooms? I looked at ncl.com's list of what not to bring on board and it doesn't mention it.

If we have one in our luggage (which would show up on X-ray) would we get flagged to have to go to the naughty room?

Thanks,

I just got off the Sun today and I had brought my own iron...had no problems....

Well then, if it's forbidden, NCL should state such. If you go to their website and look for restricted items, an iron or a steamer is no where on that list.

Don't blame the passenger if the cruise line allows them to bring it.

I cruised on DCL & NCL. Both of which I went on before I ever read about the no iron "rule" found on these boards. Both times I NEVER read anywhere that irons were not allowed. I brought an iron on both of them. I left it out right on the counter top, because I had never heard it was frowned upon. I never had any issue & infact one time my steward on NCL even wrapped up the cord for me.

If it doesn't say it anywhere, than it's allowed. I mean if you can't bring an iron than they would have to also ban hair straighteners. It's the same type of system.

Maybe on other lines it's "forbidden", but not on DCL or NCL & my parents went on Princess & had an iron with no problem.

If it doesn't say it anywhere, than it's allowed.

OK. Fine. I noticed that it does not say anywhere that studded snow tires are not allowed on board. So by your logic, I can bring them. :eek:

Now...what do you suppose is going to happen when I roll them up to the pier with luggage tags attached?

OK. Fine. I noticed that it does not say anywhere that studded snow tires are not allowed on board. So by your logic, I can bring them. :eek:

Now...what do you suppose is going to happen when I roll them up to the pier with luggage tags attached?

They'll let you bring them on board of course. Unless you have alcohol stashed in the hubcaps. :D

Really? I have to explain this?

What I am saying is NCL has taken the time to write up a list of all the items that people would possibly think to bring on ship that would not be safe in NCL's eyes. If you feel like you want to bring an iron, but are afraid it's against the rules of saftey & you check on this list & it's not on there, than you can bring it. Yes, NCL can always refuse an item on the ship even if it's not on this list, but I don't think they've forgotten to list something as basic as an iron on their list.

If you really want to try to bring "studded snow tires" than that's you thing, but I'm sure that is not on the list because no one has tried to bring them on in the past. ;)

I wasn't pointing out a wrong side or a right side, I was just answering a question. ;)

Is there an iron and ironing board in the self service laundry room to use if needed?

yes there are irons and ironing boards in the self service laundry. They aren't removable.

PS you can bring snow tires. Your limit is 4 pieces of luggage per passenger not weighing more than 50 lbs each(although I never seen this rule enforced)...

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel without the previous written permission of the Carrier any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

This is the section of the passage contract that covers anything that NCL wants to prohibit based on the safety of the ship. It can cover baseball bats, candles, hockey sticks, studded snow tires or whatever. The fact is that irons produce extreme heat (no surprise there) and do pose a fire hazard.

If you get an iron on board with no problem doesn't mean that it's OK. It means that they didn't catch it or they decided not to worry about it.

We have been on some cruises where passengers have to go to the "naughty room" and collect their luggage. It's the luggage that has suspicious stuff in it. Booze primarily. But irons were also being culled out.

I've never heard of any cruise line that loans out irons to use in the room. I'll have to ask next time just to see.

Charlie

Well honestly, by the logic of some posters, no one should should be allowed to bring lighters and matches on board, much less cigarrettes -- nevermind actually be able to use the contraband in THEIR CABINS! :eek:

I've cruised more voyages than I can count, both as crew and corporately on the passenger manifest. Believe me - - my stuff was gone through with a fine tooth comb before it ever hit the x-ray machine. And not a single time did my full-size iron get so much as a raised eyebrow.

Wow, I never meant to cause this much grief with a single question. However, using the "goods of a dangerous nature" logic, lots of items can be put on that list if people aren't careful.

As far as an iron goes, believe me, my wife and I are complusive about making sure that it is unplugged and in a safe location. Bordering on OCD in this regard (OK also with the stove, but that won't apply here :D )

Sorry that this question stirred up so much negativity.

Well honestly, by the logic of some posters, no one should should be allowed to bring lighters and matches on board, much less cigarrettes -- nevermind actually be able to use the contraband in THEIR CABINS! :eek:

I've cruised more voyages than I can count, both as crew and corporately on the passenger manifest. Believe me - - my stuff was gone through with a fine tooth comb before it ever hit the x-ray machine. And not a single time did my full-size iron get so much as a raised eyebrow.

I'm not questioning your personal experience. But, you've sailed with NCL that has the "dangerous items" clause and with RCCL that expressly states "no irons" (Click Here For Link) and never been challenged. Could it be that it is allowed for crew?

Charlie

Hee! I never saw that link! I also traveled with a coffee maker on RCCL - who knew?

I don't know...I think that, in the grand scheme of things, it's just not that big of a deal in the mountains of other possible dangers (i.e., weapons, explosives (fireworks), candles...). I have had candles confiscated. In my experience they are tougher on the crew than the passengers, but when I cruised as Corporate, no one had any way of knowing I wasn't a paying passenger - that was the point.

Its certainly possible (especially on RCI, where they forbid it in writing) that one might get their iron confisacted until the end of the cruise. It just hasn;t been my experience. Kind of like not putting my lipstick in a plastic baggie when I fly....

Hee! I never saw that link! I also traveled with a coffee maker on RCCL - who knew?

I don't know...I think that, in the grand scheme of things, it's just not that big of a deal in the mountains of other possible dangers (i.e., weapons, explosives (fireworks), candles...). I have had candles confiscated. In my experience they are tougher on the crew than the passengers, but when I cruised as Corporate, no one had any way of knowing I wasn't a paying passenger - that was the point.

Its certainly possible (especially on RCI, where they forbid it in writing) that one might get their iron confisacted until the end of the cruise. It just hasn;t been my experience. Kind of like not putting my lipstick in a plastic baggie when I fly....

Speaking of coffee makers, NCL has them in the cabins on the Star. I think that I saw that coffeemakers are going to be a part of Freestyle 2.0. Personally, I'd rather have room service and put the limited table space to better use than storing a pot.

I agree that irons are probably lower on the list of "naughty" items.

Charlie

I always bring a steamer but did talk to one couple that had to go to the naughty room because they brought an iron. I think they also had liquor which was maybe the root of the problem however they did have to wait until the end of the cruise to get both back.

Archived