Disembarking the Gem in NYC. Past Cruisers and/or Locals, please help!

4calbears

Hello!

My family and I are very excited about our upcoming 3/22 Gem cruise from NYC! We can't wait to get away and enjoy some warm weather!

Anyway, I just found out that our Delta flight back to SFO has been pushed back 2 hours and will now be leaving JFK after 6:30 p.m. instead of 4:25 p.m.! I'm not quite sure what to do after disembarking the ship. Is there a place we can stash our luggage until we have to head to the airport? What about transportation to the airport? I figured we would just take the NCL bus to JFK, but now I'd rather not get to the airport 5 hours in advanced...but if we have no alternatives, we will. Also, what time is disembarkation from the ship? Is it noon?

Thanks in advanced for any assistance you can offer!

Katie :)

Take a cab to penn station(12.00) and use their luggage room to store your luggage. About 3 you should head to the airport. A cab from penn station is $45.00 plus tolls and tip(about 60 all told)....per cab.

disembarkation should start about 8-9 am with the self carries off first than the VIP then the colors are called. everyone is off by about 11

You can also ask NCL if they have an excursion of NYC that day for late departing flights. Many cruise lines offer this especially in NYC. I always notice the option of a tour that ends at one of the airports or the Port Authority terminal (from their you can get a cab to the airport). While on the tour you baggage will be stored on the tour bus.

disembarkation should start about 8-9 am with the self carries off first than the VIP then the colors are called. everyone is off by about 11

I have a question about the time, the gem is scheduled to doc at 10am is this true or does it doc earlier? I will have people picking us up and dont want to be waiting for them to arrive if it is true that disembarkation starts at 8-9am, thanks

I have a question about the time, the gem is scheduled to doc at 10am is this true or does it doc earlier? I will have people picking us up and dont want to be waiting for them to arrive if it is true that disembarkation starts at 8-9am, thanks

I just got off the Gem yesterday. We docked at 9am. They started to let people off about 9:45 to 10am. If I was in your shoes. I would take the NCL shuttle to the airport the price was $35pp. I would also just suck it up and just hang at the airport. If you take a cab to Penn station to store your luggage and get out into the city, It might be near noon. Then you have to keep an eye on the time to get back to get your luggage. then get another cab to the airport, the traffic can be bad. Plus you need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight. You may have maybe an hour or 2 in the city. The hassle just isn't worth it. Just my opinion

I just got off the Gem yesterday. We docked at 9am. They started to let people off about 9:45 to 10am. If I was in your shoes. I would take the NCL shuttle to the airport the price was $35pp. I would also just suck it up and just hang at the airport. If you take a cab to Penn station to store your luggage and get out into the city, It might be near noon. Then you have to keep an eye on the time to get back to get your luggage. then get another cab to the airport, the traffic can be bad. Plus you need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight. You may have maybe an hour or 2 in the city. The hassle just isn't worth it. Just my opinion

why not just take a yellow cab to the airport? Its fixed at 45.00 per cab plus toll and tip. If there are two of you it saves 10.00 if more, you save more (a cab can hold three comfortably and 4 not so comfortably)..

Something we do not understand is why NCL doesn't offer an excursion for that day. We would have liked to have seen some of NY while on our way to Newark but nothing was offered. Any New Yorkers have a idea why?

Mitsy -I was on the Noordam a couple of weeks ago and came in with the Gem. The Gem got in at about 8:30 or so.

When I sail out of NY, I usually have a friend or family pick us up too. When I receive my luggage tags the day before disembarkation, I ask the front desk for an approximate time that my color will be called. When we get in the next morning, I'll call whoever is picking us up to let them know what time we expected to disembark. We only live about an hour's drive from the pier, so it usually works out well.

You need to understand that the day the Noordam poster is talking about is when the Gem was due at 8 coming back from the Southern Carribean. On the current seven day trips its due around 10 and it will arrive pretty close to that.

You need to understand that the day the Noordam poster is talking about is when the Gem was due at 8 coming back from the Southern Carribean. On the current seven day trips its due around 10 and it will arrive pretty close to that.

Thanks

You'll be docking on a Sat morning -- traffic will likely not be too bad. I'd say spend some time in NYC, if nothing else get a great lunch at one of the restaurants. (Airport food is better than airline food, but still...)

NCL had a program last year that allowed you to check your bags on the ship with your airline and have them delivered direct, no schlepping.

Alternatively, are you staying in NY at a hotel before your cruise? Consider asking this hotel if they will hold your bags for a few hours on your return. (We did this in Seattle last year at the W when we had several hours to kill before our return flight.)

Either way, have a great cruise!:)

Thank you, friends, for all your responses. Not sure what we will be doing yet, but I truly appreciate everyone's input! There are 5 of us, so that doesn't make it easy to cab it to JFK (should I tell my mom the cruise has been canceled??!! :p )

I don't post much, but I read often. This board has been so helpful in planning our cruises.

THANKS again!

As a New Yorker, I can give you a hint or two. The ship dockets at 12th Ave and West 55th Street. If you can check your luggage through to the airport, go to Central via short cab ride. You can eat lunch at Tavern on the Green which is on the West Side of the park. Really good food, not so pricey for Manhattan and actually a lovely place. Or walk around Central Park awhile.

NCL used to have a tour of the Southsea Port which really isn't much to see. A few boats and a places to eat.

Or, have a cab take you to the Brooklyn Bridge walking entrace which is near City Hall. Take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. Once on the Brooklyn side, across over Cadman Plaza Park (a few short blocks toward the water, Front Street) and have pizza at Grimadi's. One of best pizza places in New York.

Something we do not understand is why NCL doesn't offer an excursion for that day. We would have liked to have seen some of NY while on our way to Newark but nothing was offered. Any New Yorkers have a idea why?

I'm not a New Yorker (I'm a Canuck) but I was asking the exact same question myself when we took the Gem in December. I think the answer is that the vast majority of people on board are either from New York or from somewhere within a few hours drive so, no need/demand for a post-cruise excursion. It is a real bummer - especially for people like us who disembarked at 9:00 (express) and didn't fly out until 10:00 p.m.! We made it work though by taking our bags to the Financial District hotel we'd stayed at pre-cruise and then just wandering Chinatown, Little Italy and Greenwich village from there. FYI - a lot of, I'm guessing, locals, seem to poo poo the Seaport area and steer people away from there. I have no idea why. It's a LOVELY spot to wander around, have a bite, a bit of a shop. Quite historic, great view of the Brooklyn Bridge, IMHO an excellent way to kill a few hours.

My suggestion to you is to just go to the airport. It will make life much easier. We have done that before and it can be quite an experience. Make it easy on yourself.

PS We just came off the Gem on March 1. Very nice ship.

bryan

Hello!

My family and I are very excited about our upcoming 3/22 Gem cruise from NYC! We can't wait to get away and enjoy some warm weather!

Anyway, I just found out that our Delta flight back to SFO has been pushed back 2 hours and will now be leaving JFK after 6:30 p.m. instead of 4:25 p.m.! I'm not quite sure what to do after disembarking the ship. Is there a place we can stash our luggage until we have to head to the airport? What about transportation to the airport? I figured we would just take the NCL bus to JFK, but now I'd rather not get to the airport 5 hours in advanced...but if we have no alternatives, we will. Also, what time is disembarkation from the ship? Is it noon?

Thanks in advanced for any assistance you can offer!

I need some help from someone that is going on the Gem.

I was on the Gem from 2/23-3/1 and I usually buy one of the replicas of each cruise ship that i go on. On our cruise they were out of them and I was unable to get one.

I do not want to break up my collection and I was wondering if someone going on the Gem could pick one up for me and I will gladly pay for it.

They cost about $20.

I would appreciate any help on this I could get.

Thanks

bryan

Glad I found this thread! :D

We're on a Dawn cruise in Oct. Using FF miles into NY & pickings were getting slim so I had to jump now. We don't leave JFK until 5PM and I think with what I'm seeing here, we'll probably just get off the ship later than usual (enjoy a leisurely breakfast) and just taxi it to the airport. (I wonder how the cab prices compare to SuperShuttle)

anyhow

thanks everyone

-Monte

Archived