EEK! What to Book

ilovetinks

Sorry if this is not the right spot to post this, but I'm brand new to this forum and still "learning the ropes".

I am in a dilema about when to go on a cruise. We are working with 2 dates...one is over Christmas holidays 2008 and one is around Feb. 14th/09. We are looking at going to Southern or Eastern Carribean.

The cheapest Christmas cruise I can find is a Carnival one, but I've heard negative things about Carnival. There are quite a few in Feb. but now I'm confused...do I do a 10 day for about $1200 or 7 day for $800.

The cruise ships I am looking at in Feb. are Royal Carribean and Holland America.

I guess I have a few questions:

- What's a better time to go...Christmas or Feb?

- What is Carnival really like?

- Does it make more sense to enjoy a 10 day cruise for the extra $400?

-Any thoughts on Royal Carribean and Holland America?

Sorry, I'm all over the place, I'm just so confused and I just want to book something soon!!!

PS: I've been on a Princess Cruise (West Carribean) and a NCL (Hawaii) one and loved them both.

Sorry if this is not the right spot to post this, but I'm brand new to this forum and still "learning the ropes".

I am in a dilema about when to go on a cruise. We are working with 2 dates...one is over Christmas holidays 2008 and one is around Feb. 14th/09. We are looking at going to Southern or Eastern Carribean.

The cheapest Christmas cruise I can find is a Carnival one, but I've heard negative things about Carnival. There are quite a few in Feb. but now I'm confused...do I do a 10 day for about $1200 or 7 day for $800.

The cruise ships I am looking at in Feb. are Royal Carribean and Holland America.

I guess I have a few questions:

- What's a better time to go...Christmas or Feb?

- What is Carnival really like?

- Does it make more sense to enjoy a 10 day cruise for the extra $400?

-Any thoughts on Royal Carribean and Holland America?

Sorry, I'm all over the place, I'm just so confused and I just want to book something soon!!!

PS: I've been on a Princess Cruise (West Carribean) and a NCL (Hawaii) one and loved them both.

You are asking a lot of questions that are personal opinion.

We like to be home for Christmas, so I would say Feb.

We were on Carnival once, did not like it. Others love it.

I have never found a cruise that is too long, so I would go for 10 days.

So much of what you ask is hard to answer because it's so subjective. In my opinion, I would steer clear of Carnival over Christmas. I was just on a Carnival cruise this past Christmas (the 8-day to the Mexican Riviera that was over both Christmas and New Years). We won't do that again. We knew to expect a lot of families, but it was more overwhelming than we had anticipated. It would be like that anywhere -- going to a land-based resort over Christmas would have probably netted the same results of children pushing every button on the elevator, running (while i'm walking in heels LOL) up and down the stairs and hiding from each other, etc. This can happen on any cruise line over Christmas (or any time) not just Carnival.

Since you specifically asked about Carnival or RCCL, I would go on an RCCL cruise in February. We were on RCCL last February for our 10-year anniversary on Feb 14. Be aware that if you are booking during Presidents Day, you will encounter a number of families celebrating mid-winter break, but no where near the number of families on a Christmas cruise.

So, my vote is February on RCCL to Eastern Caribbean (because that's the itinerary I did...and LOVED IT!)

I've sailed Carnival the week before Christmas the past two years and love going at that time. Wanted to go again sooner, so booked for May but added the December cruise as well.

Prices are much better the week before, fewer kids, and you have the actual Holidays at home to recuperate from vacation before returning to work.

Don't believe all this nonsense some people will tell you about Carnival. I think some people just want to run down Carnival all the time because it makes them feel superior.

Whatever.

It is NOT full of drunk, redneck lowlifes. And on a longer cruise, the crowd will be even more sedate. Three of our tablemates on the Miracle were past Celebrity and HAL cruisers and they loved the Miracle (except for the dining room; yes, it is horribly decorated).

The Spirit class ships in particular on Carnival have a reputation as being more sedate. Many think they're too sedate and have an older crowd.

I've seen plenty of families and people of all ages on Carnival. It's excellent value for the money.

Yes, the decor can be over-the-top, but I don't cruise for the decor. I cruise to get to beautiful islands that I enjoy. If I want nice decor, I'll go stay at a pretty hotel. Decor doesn't give me any entertainment value. I don't need to sit and look at the lamps or the furnishings!

Hopefully, some day I'll be able to sail all the various lines. If I do, I plan on enjoying myself and approaching it with an open mind. Anyone who already decides before they sail that they won't like a particular line probably won't like it! Self-fulfilling prophesy, you know?

Whatever you chose, I hope you'll have a wonderful time!

I would also chose the February cruise, as the Christmas cruises are overpriced and have too many kids onboard.

I would go with Royal Caribbean if you liked Princess, as they cater to a somewhat younger clientele than Holland America.

Keep in mind that a 10 day cruise will have more retired passengers than a 7 night cruise, which is more popular with the younger and middle age groups. Also, younger people prefer the Western Caribbean and the more mature prefer the Eastern Caribbean I have found in over 100 cruises taken over the last 34 years.

Ginnie

Thanks for the advice everyone...I think we will go with February. I have nothing against kids, but as we don't have any of our own yet we'd rather avoid having too many running around.

Now, I just need to decide on which ship....so many decisions!!!

Thanks again!!

PS: RSGS315 - I'm so envious!! 100 cruises!! Lucky you!

Archived