Guided Hikes in Skagway

retiredAF

I have searched and read a number of threads on hiking in Skagway but it seems most are from people who are hiking on their own. We have been thinking about doing that but because we have never been before, may feel a bit more comfortable on a guided hike. We would like to do 5-8 miles of moderate level hiking. Has anyone taken a guided hike in Skagway that they would recommend?

Thanks for you help.

Hi - As far as guided hikes go, you might try the Laughton Glacier guided hike offered by Packer Expeditions. I've done parts of the hike and it's scenic and worthwhile. You also get a short train ride to start and end your hike.

http://www.packerexpeditions.com/packer/Welcome.html

Beyond that, I can understand your concerns about hiking somewhere unfamiliar, but Skagway is a great place to strike out on your own. There is a great local trail system with a trail head right by the cruise ship pier. The hike to Upper Dewey Lake is strenuous but worth it if you can make it. You'll be rewarded by reaching a nice alpine meadow with a small lake and the mountain peaks jutting above you.

http://skagway.com/skagwaytrailmap.pdf

The best guides you can find are at the National Park Service and the price is right...free! When you go in there and ask for a trail map they will give you up to the minute advice as well as discuss your capabilities and desires with you. It would be difficult to go astray on or local trail system, so there is not much need for a local guide if it is just a sojourn in the forest that you seek. There are some locals who like to do garden walks and birdwatching with our visitors who seek out special things such as these. Let us know if there is something special you seek and we may put you on the right "track".

G Money has hit upon one of the nicest local long hikes, the one to upper lake. This one is quite strenuous and an all day one for most people at that. Sound footwear is called for and only at the right time of year should this hike be taken. Checking in with the NPS would be a must, I think! For anyone who gets up there, there is a nice, loosen up, stroll down in the direction of the Devils Punch Bowl, but beware, if you are so inticed, that you might easily overdo it like I have a couple of times and then have then unusual vantage point of watching the cruise ships set sale, nearly a mile below you:eek: , Of course this would be only if you had reserved the cabin for overnight at Upper Dewey and you had plans laid to catch up with one of those cruise ships at their next port of call:o !

Come and enjoy some of the most, unsung, accessible hiking you will ever experience. DD

Thank you both so much for your replies! I have read quite a bit about hiking Upper Dewey Lake which really sounds great and also about how easy it is to go on your own in Skagway but had to chuckle when dyeadave said then have then unusual vantage point of watching the cruise ships set sale, nearly a mile below you

Because that is my fear.. we will miss the trail and get lost or be too absorbed in the beauty and then all of a sudden realize..Oh my goodness, there goes the cruise ship! ...:D

I do feel more comfortable after reading your replies. We have good foot wear and really like to be away from the crowds when possible so this does sound great! I do also see some very inticing options on the packer expeditions site GMoney so thank you for that as well!

Packer is a well run local outfit, but I haven't seen the guy who runs it this week so he may be briefly out of town. Tim was the mayor of Skagway, until last fall, for several years, so he may be enjoying a respite from that.

If you do not reach him at the Packer Ex. number you might ring up The Mountain Shop and ask whoever is there of the whereabouts of Tim Bourcy. He owns that place and it is open short hours during the winter. I think 10 to 4? Good luck and if you like to hike you are going to love our town! DD

dyeadave,

Thank you! Sounds like Tim deserves a vacation! I will try again next week. We do like hiking and are not sure if we will go out on our own or one of his tours but are very excited about the options. Thanks again for your help.

Theresa

retiredAF,

I originally wanted to do this though Packer Expeditions directly and emailed them as such. They took a long time to get back to me but I did get a response. They advised that they were really full for the date I wanted and that I should try to reserve through the ship.

Back when I originally emailed them I'd read somewhere else here on the boards that these spots fill up really fast and the best way to make sure you get a spot is to sign up really early through the ships excursions. So I went and reserved them through RCCL at that point.

This particular one has the hike that you are interested in, air flight over the glaciers and the rail ride home - seemed to hit everything we were looking for!

Good luck!

Renee

Thanks rtevlin. When I got home from work today, I had an e-mail from Packer Expeditions telling me the same thing so I checked the NCL site and found the two options we are considering (the heli-hike or the longer hike). I am a little nervous about the helicopter but do realize it would be an unforgettable experience so am considering it but, the NCL site says NO cancelations. I know they are not going to fly in bad weather but my bad weather night be different from their bad weather.:o Does the RCCL site say the same thing?

Thank you all again!!

What is the price for the heli-hike? I called and also e-mailed today before I got on the boards but haven't had a response. We are on the Tahitian Princess and they are not offering this excursion. Maybe I'll try the Mountain Shop.

Thanks

Cory at Packer Expedition answered my weather related question very quickly this evening and we went ahead and booked this tour. It really does look great even if the helicopter makes me nervous..:o I was torn between this and the long hike options but I know this will be a once in a life time opportunity and we still get a pretty good hike in there. Plus, now we will get a chance to really explore the town as well. I am really excited about Skagway!!

Archived