San Francisco help

well--since it is right at the airport, I wonder how much noise you will hear--maybe not too bad.

the neighborhood is office buildings, motels, and industrial. it is not a place you would walk around. if you are willing to take the shuttle to bart and save money, it would be ok. bart would take maybe 15-20 minutes to town from south san francisco.

it is also a $30 cab ride from union square.

so the neighborhood is ok--there is just not much there. it is not set up for walking, but for cars.

it is as cheap as anything you would find in town.

Roberts motel by the sea is next to the SF zoo--at the end of a muni line and would be the same price about. it would take 45 minutes by streetcar to get downtown--but you would be one block from the ocean. family run place--not fancy.

I found another choice! There's a LaQuinta Inn SF Airport at 20 Airport Blvd. The price is right, $119.00/night and they run a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and to BART.

Is this in a bad area safety-wise? This could save us enough $$ to be able to do more while we're in San Francisco :) . We've stayed in quite a few LaQuinta's, and while they're not fancy, we've found them clean and fine for our needs.

Thanks,

It is perfectly safe - but there is nothing in walking distance. It is a typical airport industrial area - may as well be in Iowa (no ill intent meant to my Iowa pals.) For one night close to airport - it is fine.

If you want to experience San Francisco - lets see if we can come up with some better options.

When are you coming? How many nights? I will be happy to check a few options for you.

Thankyou for all of the helpful information and tips. Actually there are nine in our group for the cruise but five of us are flying down the day before. There are the three of us...myself..DH and DD{20yrs}. In our package we have a one night precruise at the Tuscan Inn and friends who are meeting us there have reservations at the Mark Hopkins. That is how the plans fell when we made our plans with Celebrity. So I think we will leave things the way they are that way we all have a place to drop things off etc. in two different areas..as DD loves to SHOP.

The day we are staying pre cruise is DH's BD. Any suggestions for a restaurant for that evening? He loves seafood. It will be a Sat. night so I would have to make reservations?

Thank you for all of your help.

Peace, Rianvi:)

Thankyou for all of the helpful information and tips. Actually there are nine in our group for the cruise but five of us are flying down the day before. There are the three of us...myself..DH and DD{20yrs}. In our package we have a one night precruise at the Tuscan Inn and friends who are meeting us there have reservations at the Mark Hopkins. That is how the plans fell when we made our plans with Celebrity. So I think we will leave things the way they are that way we all have a place to drop things off etc. in two different areas..as DD loves to SHOP.

The day we are staying pre cruise is DH's BD. Any suggestions for a restaurant for that evening? He loves seafood. It will be a Sat. night so I would have to make reservations?

Thank you for all of your help.

Peace, Rianvi:)

Yes, do make a reservation.

I would go to the Waterbar - brand new restaurant, right on water with amazing views. I haven't been yet - but I've heard great things. It is owned by folks who do upscale restaurants very well. It is right on Embarcadero - you can take the light rail from your hotel - it is a straight shot.

Other well reviewed seafood hotels:

Aqua

Farallon

If price is a concern (all those I've mentioned are expensive, but great) you might want to try Pesce. Got a great review but very reasonably priced. A cafe style with indoor and outdoor seating is Brindisi. If it is warm evening - nothing like it. Brindisi is one of many cafe restaurants on Belden Place - even if you only stop for a drink there - you will love the energy and European feel to the row of restaurants along this alley.

check out more at http://www.sfgate.com/eguide/food/ but really I think the Waterbar with great food, great service AND great view would be a winner for the birthday celebration.

For your daughter - she will love Westfield San Francisco Centre - new shopping center connected to with spiral escalator (people come just to take photos of it!) It has Bloomies, Nordstrom and everything else inbetween. Awesome food court in the lower level - check out "Out the Door" it is almost same menu as the very difficult reservation to get at "Slanted Door" (located in the Ferry Bldg) but can usually accomodate walk ups - or grab some spring rolls to go.

I've stayed at the Tuscan Inn, I think you will be happy. It is a Kimpton property - so you will enjoy fun perks, like the coffee/biscotti in the morn and a wine reception each eve.

Have a great trip - oh, I think you can make all these restaurant reservations on Opentable.com - easy, free. In the notes - tell them it is a special occasion and ask for a seat with a view. After dinner, stroll over to the Ferry Building - just a few minutes walk from Waterbar. There is awesome wine bar and depending on the time of eve - there is a yummy gelato place.

If you will be in San Fran on a Saturday - there is a Farmer's Market in front of the Ferry Building. Great fun! Every day of the week you will see a few vendors from jewelry to flowers/fruits/veggies.

Have fun!

It is perfectly safe - but there is nothing in walking distance. It is a typical airport industrial area - may as well be in Iowa (no ill intent meant to my Iowa pals.) For one night close to airport - it is fine.

If you want to experience San Francisco - lets see if we can come up with some better options.

When are you coming? How many nights? I will be happy to check a few options for you.

We'll be coming to San Francisco September 10 or 11, and our ship sails September 14, so it would be 3 or 4 nights. I was really considering the Best Western Tuscan Inn and saying "it's only $ :D ", but I'd really rather spend our money on seeing the sights!

I appreciate your help and I love your flower :) ,

Plant

Try the Cow Hollow sisters (Chelsea - Cow Hollow and Lombard Inns). Check the web site and call for rates. We can usually get reasonable rates - the accomodations are basic motel but the area is the best for local transit and many restaurants in walking distance. Also sometimes the Days Inn on Lombard has specials.

The airport is not very close to the city and you can spend you time and energy better by staying in the city.

We'll be coming to San Francisco September 10 or 11, and our ship sails September 14, so it would be 3 or 4 nights. I was really considering the Best Western Tuscan Inn and saying "it's only $ :D ", but I'd really rather spend our money on seeing the sights!

I appreciate your help and I love your flower :) ,

Ok, here are some options

First - September is truly the best time of year to come! The fog is gone, we usually have lovely weather and the kiddos are back in school! yay!

The pickins were slim - I would encourage you to reserve a hotel that has a cancellation policy that will allow you to check 3, 2, 1 months and 2 and 1 week out. There could be amazing last minute deals.

But until then . . .

how about Hotel Des Arts or Hotel Beresford Arms? They are coming up with great prices.

If you really want to stay at the airport, stay at the Doubletree or the Hyatt. Both have shuttles. Same or similar price - but much better experience.

Keep an eye on resortime.com - check closer to your stay. I've had great success with them and the rooms are usually condos . . .

Think about the value of a hotel 30-40 min closer each way to what you want to see. . . and if it includes things like a breakfast or wine reception -maybe that might help equalize the budget factor. Don't get me wrong, you can't beat the price of airport hotels - just trying to find the best of all worlds for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the info! I'll check out those hotels. I've looked at the Cow Hollow properties before, but (as of now :rolleyes: ), we have a smoker going and they don't allow smoking.

I think I've changed my mind about staying near the airport to save $$. It could discourage us from going where we want to go because of the hassle!

I might (for the first time ever :eek: ) try bidding on Priceline for a 4*, Fisherman's Wharf. I don't think we would be disappointed by any of the 4*'s I see listed on bidding sites.

Again, thanks so much for your help. If you're ever coming to Little Rock, I'll return the favor :) ,

Thanks so much for the info! I'll check out those hotels. I've looked at the Cow Hollow properties before, but (as of now :rolleyes: ), we have a smoker going and they don't allow smoking.

I think I've changed my mind about staying near the airport to save $$. It could discourage us from going where we want to go because of the hassle!

I might (for the first time ever :eek: ) try bidding on Priceline for a 4*, Fisherman's Wharf. I don't think we would be disappointed by any of the 4*'s I see listed on bidding sites.

Again, thanks so much for your help. If you're ever coming to Little Rock, I'll return the favor :) ,

You are quite welcome!

Good call on Priceline, I've used hotwire and was very happy with results. I do think you will be happier and be able to make the most of your stay in the city. Then you can also do different things.

p.s. You just HAVE to ride a cable car. They aren't trolleys - they really are operated by underground cables. Know that you can get on at any stop, you don't have to wait in line at the start of the line with all the other tourists not in the know. :)

You are quite welcome!

Good call on Priceline, I've used hotwire and was very happy with results. I do think you will be happier and be able to make the most of your stay in the city. Then you can also do different things.

p.s. You just HAVE to ride a cable car. They aren't trolleys - they really are operated by underground cables. Know that you can get on at any stop, you don't have to wait in line at the start of the line with all the other tourists not in the know. :)

Do you know if you can purchase all day type passes for the cable cars and regular city buses? If so where can I get one when we get there. We will be there over a weekend.

TY

Do you know if you can purchase all day type passes for the cable cars and regular city buses? If so where can I get one when we get there. We will be there over a weekend.

TY

Good question. Yes - and most don't realize that your Muni pass includes unlimited Cable car rides (which isn't the best for transportation - but so much fun - especially at night!) also includes unlimited light rail (including the historic rail lines along Market & the Embarcadero) as well as unlimited bus use. They are not good on BART which has direct service from SFO to several spots downtown -this is a separate ticket purchased at any BART station including at airport - they do take credit cards, fyi.

You can buy the Muni visitor passports right at the airport . . . here is a link to more details:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

Here's a secret - don't tell eveyone else! The giant and gorgeous Nordstrom in San Francisco Centre (Union Square/Powell Street station) has terrific concierge service. They will hold your bags if your arms get tired of shopping :) And best yet - they have a shuttle service to your hotel and can take your shopping bags + you to your hotel! For free just for shopping at Nordstrom! I always tip - keeping the driver happy. And now that I've told you - I need to make it up to them even more! :)

Good question. Yes - and most don't realize that your Muni pass includes unlimited Cable car rides (which isn't the best for transportation - but so much fun - especially at night!) also includes unlimited light rail (including the historic rail lines along Market & the Embarcadero) as well as unlimited bus use. They are not good on BART which has direct service from SFO to several spots downtown -this is a separate ticket purchased at any BART station including at airport - they do take credit cards, fyi.

You can buy the Muni visitor passports right at the airport . . . here is a link to more details:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm

Here's a secret - don't tell eveyone else! The giant and gorgeous Nordstrom in San Francisco Centre (Union Square/Powell Street station) has terrific concierge service. They will hold your bags if your arms get tired of shopping :) And best yet - they have a shuttle service to your hotel and can take your shopping bags + you to your hotel! For free just for shopping at Nordstrom! I always tip - keeping the driver happy. And now that I've told you - I need to make it up to them even more! :)

Thanks for the Nordstrom's tip, I will keep that in mind.

Do you know if there is a location close to the Fairmont where I can purchase a Muni Passport? If there isn't anything we will try at the airport, we get in kind of late though. Just to confirm we can ride the city bus and the cable car?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the Nordstrom's tip, I will keep that in mind.

Do you know if there is a location close to the Fairmont where I can purchase a Muni Passport? If there isn't anything we will try at the airport, we get in kind of late though. Just to confirm we can ride the city bus and the cable car?

Thanks again.

Yup, the link I gave you has where to buy too! It also has hours.

Click on the "financial district" options - those are probably not only closest to Fairmont, but also close to other sites you will be visiting.

The Fairmont has awesome concierge and doorman - they will be your new best friends!

There are nine of us arriving in San Francisco in late April for a cruise and extended holiday in Canada and USA from Perth Australia. We all intend to leave home light and buy up in San Francisco prior to boarding the ship.

Where are the factory outlets and does anyone know how we can get to them as we know from previous to the States that many are located on the outskirts of town.

We need your help - you want not want to see us walking nude around town - not a very pretty sight at all as we are all around 60?

There are nine of us arriving in San Francisco in late April for a cruise and extended holiday in Canada and USA from Perth Australia. We all intend to leave home light and buy up in San Francisco prior to boarding the ship.

Where are the factory outlets and does anyone know how we can get to them as we know from previous to the States that many are located on the outskirts of town.

We need your help - you want not want to see us walking nude around town - not a very pretty sight at all as we are all around 60?

Ohhhhh, this is a fun one. Just think how far your currency will go!

Yes, we have factory outlets. We even have a few factory stores in the city itself - and then there are stores like Ross, Target, Mervyn's - discount stores which you can find in the city. Many bargains to be had at Old Navy as well. I would try shopping in the city first - try the giant Ross on Market at 4th - across the street from giant Old Navy (near Union Square, Powell Street BART/Muni stop). You should find most of what you need at these two stores (of course, I don't really know what you need except to cover up your naked selves :) )

DSW Shoes (outlet) and Payless Shoes (discount - be careful the shoes you want aren't vinyl) are the places to go for footwear. Both a short walk from Ross and Old Navy (Ross has pretty good shoe selection, Old Navy is limited in shoes). Take a look online and see what you think - Old Navy online is nearly everything you would find in their store. I think you can get a feel for Mervyn's and Target online too - but know that it may not show all that you can find in the stores.

There is also a giant Walgreens on Market closer to 5th street. Walgreen's is a drug store - but it sells more of everything else - beauty aids, small electronics. Check it out online.

Ross is a clearance department store - selling everything mostly clothing although they also have some housewares. Some items will come in many sizes, and others you might only find in one size offering - also do try on to make sure the item isn't irregular. But it is one stop shopping from evening gowns to bathing suits. They sell luggage too if you need an extra bag for all your new loot.

Target and Mervyn's are discount department stores. If you want to show off your American accent . . . we like to tease and pronounce it "Tarjay" - to make the store sound like a classy French boutique. But really, it is a giant megastore that is like a clothing, drug, hardware, housewares and grocery store combined - with a nursery and automotive stores thrown in.

But, if you really want the outlet shopping mall experience - here are links. The cost of transportation for all of you won't be cheap - the larger ones are about an hour drive out of the city. Every time I've gone, it has been when it is on my way to somewhere and hot - really hot. And somehow the bargains didn't seem too great walking in the hot sun. I would go for Napa or the Petaluma locations - then you can do some wine tasting.

http://www.sftravel.com/shop/outlet-malls-factory.html

http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/SanFranciscoCA/articles/ShoppinginSanFranciscoGuidetoOutletMallsandShoppingDistricts.cfm

Here is a list of factory stores, personally, I wouldn't recommend them. You have such a large group, I would go to one or two discount department stores so you don't have to trek all over shopping.

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/search?gcats=110&cats=546

If you cannot make it to a factory outlet, buy a Sunday Chronicle Newspaper ($1.50) and look for sale ads from chain stores (Mervyns, Sears, Macys, etc). Most can be easily reached by public transportation. Good shopping areas within San Francisco are: Westfield Mall (Bloomingdale & Nordstrom plus a wide variety of boutiques stores) on 5th (Street) & Market (Street); Downtown Macys (plus high end boutique stores) at Union Square (walk there from 5th and Market); Stonestown (Macys, Mervyns, Nordstrom) easy to reach by Muni M-Line. /Sultan

targets have cheap clothing--nothing special. there are two malls near the airport--one is Tanforan, and one is Serramonte. both have targets, and lots of other stores--tanforan has a Sears store and is near a Bart station.

the other outlets are at least an hours drive and no public transportation.-more like 1.5 hours each way in normal traffic. H and M downtown on Powell street has cheap trendy clothes.

To the person who said they had a smoker in their group--be aware that SF has some of the strongest anti-smoking laws. no smoking in bars or eating places, not in public buildings or most anywhere except outside at least 20 ft from the doorway. less than 20% of the people smoke and they are often frowned on.... I would bet most hotels are non-smoking for the most part.

there are no scrapbooking stores in SF, no michaels within reach--nothing at all.

mrs grossman's factory is in petaluma--about 1 hour north. their store is addictive--and has everything and is not very far off the freeway.

over in Berkeley--at Gilman street and neighborhood is a great group of outlets--Travelsmith, A territory ahead, smith and hawkins, and a bunch others. you may be able to take bart to berkeley, then a bus up san pablo ave.

continuing on a shopping note - am I likely to fuel my scrapbooking addiction in SF?

There is a scrapbook store in San Bruno - right by airport before you get to San Fran

http://www.myscrapbooknook.com/

More including some that might carry what you need . . . I've been to Flax which is a large artist supply store and Pearl. Both are big and have extensive supplies - but not sure if they carry what you are looking for. Check them out online.

Incidentally, I used YELP to find them - go to http://www.yelp.com type in scrapbook and San Francisco and it will give you a list with user ratings. It is still a relatively new effort - so the trouble is a few just go around putting negative ratings for everything. Check out all the reviews before making a decision.

1. Paper Source

Categories: Cards & Stationery, Art Supplies, Hobby Shops

Neighborhood: Marina/Cow Hollow 4.5 star rating69 reviews

2061 Chestnut St

San Francisco, CA, 94123

(415) 614-1585 to experience." Really? Wow! Well, additionally Paper Source offers cool workshops on scrapbooking, book making, and calligraphy. Lessons 1.2 Miles

2. Paper Source

Category: Art Supplies

Neighborhood: Pacific Heights 4.5 star rating82 reviews

1925 Fillmore Street

San Francisco, CA, 94115

(415) 409-7710 and supplies. They have the best of everything from ribbon, card stock, pens, cards, stamps, glitter, scrapbooks, etc... Be prepared to spend your 0.3 Miles

3. Flax Art & Design

Categories: Framing, Cards & Stationery, Art Supplies

Neighborhoods: Hayes Valley, SOMA 4 star rating148 reviews

1699 Market Street

San Francisco, CA, 94103

(415) 552-2355 asked an employee where their poster board was, they looked at me like I was "special", or like I was some scrapbooking asshat or something. (Not that I 2.1 Miles

4. The Ribbonerie

Category: Art Supplies

Neighborhood: Laurel Heights 4.5 star rating9 reviews

3695 Sacramento St

San Francisco, CA, 94118

(415) 626-6184 into something or if you're a scrapbooker, I imagine you could glue it down. The bargain bins are indeed bargains. A good amount of quality ribbon 1.8 Miles

5. Just For Fun & Scribbledoodles

Categories: Toy Stores, Cards & Stationery

Neighborhood: Noe Valley 4 star rating50 reviews

3982 24th Street

San Francisco, CA, 94114

(415) 285-4068 to scrapbookers... and not just one, but many (http://*****.com/2yab66)? This is apparently a competitive market in the publishing industry 1.8 Miles

6. Papyrus

Category: Cards & Stationery

Neighborhood: Financial District 4 star rating17 reviews

2 Embarcadero Center

San Francisco, CA, 94111

(415) 781-8777 This store offers unique scrapbooking, and journaling items that I don't see anywhere else! 1.2 Miles

7. Polk A Dot Stationers

Neighborhood: Nob Hill 4.5 star rating50 reviews

1742 Polk St

San Francisco, CA, 94109

(415) 346-0660 would sell them? But again, why do I need them? I'll be back for some scrapbook supplies. 0.7 Miles

8. Pearl Art & Craft Supplies

Category: Art Supplies 3.5 star rating72 reviews

969 Market St

San Francisco, CA, 94103

(415) 357-1400 it. There are decent prices on old inventory but no sign of restocking. Scrapbook paper? It moved down to the basement, to a much smaller rack, and that has gaps 1.8 Miles

9. Lola of North Beach

Categories: Cards & Stationery, Children's Clothing

Neighborhood: North Beach/Telegraph Hill 4.5 star rating53 reviews

1415 Grant Ave

San Francisco, CA, 94133

(415) 781-1817 candles and wonderful little photo albums by Kohlo with old fashioned scrapbook paper and ribbon ties you can fill with pix to give as presents 0.9 Miles

10. Sanrio

Neighborhoods: Union Square, SOMA 4 star rating43 reviews

865 Market Street

San Francisco, CA, 94103

(415) 495-3056 falls apart easily... their blanket are super soft... their two way pen/pencil are tOo kOoL... I love stickers... for decorations, scrapbooks, cell 1.8 Miles

11. Union Street Papery

Neighborhood: Marina/Cow Hollow 3.5 star rating32 reviews

2162 Union St

San Francisco, CA, 94123

(415) 563-0200 Everytime I see a cute store like this, I just have to go in. I think I'm addicted to the whole cardmaking/scrapbooking thing right now since I've 2.3 Miles

12. Fabrix

Category: Fabric Stores

Neighborhood: Inner Richmond 4 star rating20 revie

Many thanks to Coreopsis (you must be a legend) and the others who provided the information to help us get dressed while in San Francisco.

Your suggestions have been very helpful and I am sure we will be the best dressed group on our trip - well at least we shall be able to wear more than shorts, T shirts and thongs.

I thought it might be useful to call one or two of the factory outlets out of town to see if they have transport arrangements to and from SFC - can do that when we arrive.

Really looking to seeing San Francisco again we were there for a couple of days 12 years ago but did not really get to see that much.

Your suggestion to visit Beldem Place was great as it is quite near to the hotel we will be staying in - the Carlton Hotel (I think).

Once again many thanks for your assistance and advice

well--I scrapbook and live in the city and the only store I would consider going to would be FLAX. it is right on market street (take an F car) and is a fab art supply store. the building is on the south side of the street and has a huge artist model (wood human poseable model) on the outside of the building. they have a good website.

but the others are in high priced areas--and are not what I would consider"scrapbook stores" but high end paper stores. very expensive and most have no parking--so I don't think they really should be in this category.

I think you would be disappointed.

san bruno is near the airport if you wanted to check it out and have a car. it is probably right off el camino real.

just my viewpoint.

Many thanks to Coreopsis (you must be a legend) and the others who provided the information to help us get dressed while in San Francisco.

Your suggestions have been very helpful and I am sure we will be the best dressed group on our trip - well at least we shall be able to wear more than shorts, T shirts and thongs.

I thought it might be useful to call one or two of the factory outlets out of town to see if they have transport arrangements to and from SFC - can do that when we arrive.

Really looking to seeing San Francisco again we were there for a couple of days 12 years ago but did not really get to see that much.

Your suggestion to visit Beldem Place was great as it is quite near to the hotel we will be staying in - the Carlton Hotel (I think).

Once again many thanks for your assistance and advice

You are quite welcome. Dressing 9 naked people from Perth - well who could resist?! :)

There is a shuttle thingy to the outlets . . . but with so many of you, might be worth renting a car or van to enjoy an entire day in wine country.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp?id=24

Your hotel is excellent location, however "lower Nob Nill" is a creative way to say it isn't on Nob Hill, fyi. Also - check with the concierge and have them show you a few blocks to miss - the Tenderloin area isn't grand and I would prefer you and your pals with all the new duds avoid this neighborhood. Your doorman or concierge will help.

Do bring comfortable shoes - Aerosoles changed my life! Not dorky looking, doesn't scream tourist with rubber soles and good for walking hills. We have a few hills! There are a few stores downtown - one right on Market.

I know Perth is known for its gardens, but you might want to check out our Japanese tea garden in Golden Gate Park. Quite lovely.

Have fun!

Dear Coreopsis

Thanks for the additional information it was very helpful and I have sent an email off to check prices for transportation to the outlets etc.

We did have the opportunity to visit the Japanese Gardens on our last visit to San Francisco and like you said we found them just wonderful. The 7 others in our group have not seen them and we shall certainly try and convince them to go and have a look again with us - fully dressed of course - perhaps the men in the group could go dressed as sumo wrestlers - do you think we would get in for free???

Can you also recommend a good beer - I am rather partial to the Sierra Nevada - my son who lives in NY introduced me to it a couple of visits ago - quite luscious and unfortunately not available here.

Regards

Archived