Sunless Tans

janetz

i get the feeling that most of you narrow it down to fake bake or Jergins is that right? i would like to try a sunless tanning i think instead of going to the tanning beds (i wanted to tan but i didn't know it was so expensive!!!) i think i am better off going sunless anyway.

also...i see that if you have dry spots they darken faster than the rest of your body, would it work to use a heavy moisturizer for a week or so (everyday out of the shower for example) before you start the sunless to prevent that? and if i get a nice "tan" or "glow" once i get on the ship should i continue to use it so it does not fade during my trip or will the sunscreen and tanning lotion interfere with each other?

YEs yes yes moisturize after you exfoliate, basically I'd do a week of exfoliating and moisturizing before going. Then you should be able to avoid the dark spots on the rough skin, but places like elbows and knees where your skin stretches over a joint do carry the posibility of appearing darker when it's all said and done, so do go lighter over those areas.

I personally would skip the self tanner when cruising. At the end of the day I just want to shower and fall in bed. Do it up good the weeks before then take your cruise week to just enjoy your sexy fake tanned self :) That's just me tho, you might want to keep it up, depending on how fast it would fade...

i get the feeling that most of you narrow it down to fake bake or Jergins is that right? i would like to try a sunless tanning i think instead of going to the tanning beds (i wanted to tan but i didn't know it was so expensive!!!) i think i am better off going sunless anyway.

also...I see that if you have dry spots they darken faster than the rest of your body, would it work to use a heavy moisturizer for a week or so (everyday out of the shower for example) before you start the sunless to prevent that? and if i get a nice "tan" or "glow" once i get on the ship should i continue to use it so it does not fade during my trip or will the sunscreen and tanning lotion interfere with each other?

Hi!

In answer to your question about the dry spots....

a good moisturizer will help, but will not remove heavy dry spot enough, you will need to exfoliate really well.

You can do this with a simple sea salt or sugar scrub..all available at Walgreens/Cvs/Target/Bath and Body Works.

I use this as an excuse to pamper myself;)

Then follow that up with your moiturizer.

( The scrubs are under $5 usually for most..or make your own! )

Now, as far as your question on following up on a cruise with a self tanner?

I do.

Why?

Because, sand,salt water and time will take a toll...eventually.

Unless you are going to lay out every day in the sun...which defeats the purpose of a sunless tan ( safety of non-UV) I take along my sunless!:D

I always have a balcony, so I can take my bronzer spray and spray myself quickly on the balcony without worry about mess.

If you don't, do not worry, do it in the room, the carpet will not show the spray....but just stand on a towel in case.

I choose a spray on vacation because it is so quick and it dries instantly, gives instant color, while still developing over the next several hours.

( Refer back to page 1, Brown Sugar by Tan Inc., or Fake bake has a good one too.)

This way..while on a cruise, I can 'recharge' my tan and look golden and fresh.

The whole process takes about 2 minutes total...start to finish, totally worth it!;)

I also add to my arsenal bronzer makeup, by Bareminerals and Fake Bake.

Hope this helps.

Let us know what happens..The only problem with Mystic is that it does not last too long. :)

It actually can if you incorporate it with sunless tanners in addition to it!:D

I learned this after several times of fading.....

You just have to learn to 'tweak' it!:D

Okay girls ~ I picked up a bottle of Jergens Natural Glow last night at Target! I used my Amazing Grace salt scurb first and then applied the lotion after my shower. It went on very easily - I do wish the consistency were a little thicker... the lotion was running right out of the tube. Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting my "tan":p

Question ~ for those of you that have used Jergens... does it give you enough color? I know I'm not going to be bronze:D but is it a deep tan? Thanks everyone!!!! Oh and btw... should I use it morning and night? My cruise is in April:)

Click on the link below as I have provided more info on them!

I have tried all of them out there...and I do mean all! Jergens is good, but for me, it just never gets quite dark enough in the summer.(But I have a hard time finding the dark version and can only find medium)

Coppertone, l'Oreal, the towels, gels, creams, I have had it and tried it!

They either faded icky, were orange, or smelled gross.

Some great ones I have tried with awesome success ( and I have tried them all) are:

.:D

For me, no.....it just gives a little added color.

Yes, I would use it both in the morning and at night.

For me, no.....it just gives a little added color.

Yes, I would use it both in the morning and at night.

Thanks desperatehousewife! I'll definitely start using it twice a day. I'm *very* fair and I purchased the medium shade... hopefully this will give me a nice "tan"

PS ~ I totally agree about tanning booths;)

Hey DHW-seen anything good lately with those big eyes of yours?

Haven't smelled any burnt toast in a while...

I miss our giggles!

Hopefully you're using your COMMON SENSE! GOSH!

Shout right back atcha!!

I miss our giggles too..my abs are still achin'!

Come join us over on the Curt Jerome Wild Thread on Floataway!!

Some of the others came lookin' for my big 'ol eyes over there!!!:D

okay ~ i've applied the medium jergens natural glow two times so far and I can kinda see the color it's going to give me (not sure that I like it yet..:confused: ) but I'll need a few more days to get the full effect. Anyway ~ if at that time I decide it's not right fine... but if I like where it's headed, then can I start with the darker shade? Has anyone ever done this or do you just stick to the color you initially choose to best suit your skin tone? Thanks!

okay ~ i've applied the medium jergens natural glow two times so far and I can kinda see the color it's going to give me (not sure that I like it yet..:confused: ) but I'll need a few more days to get the full effect. Anyway ~ if at that time I decide it's not right fine... but if I like where it's headed, then can I start with the darker shade? Has anyone ever done this or do you just stick to the color you initially choose to best suit your skin tone? Thanks!

Absolutely!

You can definately step into the next shade with this easily because it is so gradual, and that is a plus.;)

If you don't like where it is headed, let it fade away, exfoliating well in the shower to speed it up.

i got neutragena spray on stuff and i am waiting for my second application to take...the first one i did the other day i think i went to conservative cuz you cant really tell a difference at all! lol but so far i like it. i got the jergens face stuff for my face though i dont like spraying my hands to put tanner on my face. hopefully i like it...

i think i am going to get a bottle of jergens lotion though too cuz this neutragena stuff doesn't last very long (the contents of the bottle i mean). i have done 2 applications and it feels like its only like 1/2 full.

ya for fake tans!

I have used both Neutragena and Jergens. I refer to what you get with Jergens as a glow, because it takes the edge out of my white skin. It looked warmed up, not really tan. I used the fair skin formula, but I would use the medium next time. It does take repeated applications to see the results.

With the Neutragena spray, it works very well. I used the micromist and it does go on very evenly. I agree, the bottle doesn't go far, but it does work nice. I used the medium and I liked the results. I would say by the 3rd or 4th time you use it, the difference is quite noticeable.

With the Mystic Tan being $17.00 in my area and having one application doing the trick for 5 to 7 days, it seems like a very good idea. My plan is to give it a test run at the beginning of next week. I figured it takes care of the whole body too - I won't have to buy something else for my face as well.

neutragena stuff doesn't last very long (the contents of the bottle i mean). i have done 2 applications and it feels like its only like 1/2 full.

ya for fake tans!

I used the Neutragena ( and CVS store brand) all last summer. When on a cruise a bottle lasted me 10 days with a light spraying after every shower. I had all ready built up a good base the way I wanted it to look. At home a good spray every few day seems to take care of it.

Anni

My "diva doll" that I had as my avatar broke:eek: so DH suggested I put this picture up.:D

The flash lightened my shoulders/arms, but you can see that I have quite a lot of color on my face.

This was Mystic Tan, Fake Bake's Legal Sunburn ...and a product I now cannot live without made by Steiner that Carnival sells at their spa( but you can get online) called California Sun Glow.

Click those links and it will take you to the pages to read/see the products.

Stuff is amazing.

You look as if you have been in the sun all day, it is so beautiful. It can go all over too.

I bought my salt scrub at Target today and the Jergans, for fair skin. I am going to look at those links desperatehousewife. Your picture is beautiful. You make a nice looking couple. :D

My "diva doll" that I had as my avatar broke:eek: so DH suggested I put this picture up.:D

The flash lightened my shoulders/arms, but you can see that I have quite a lot of color on my face.

This was Mystic Tan, Fake Bake's Legal Sunburn ...and a product I now cannot live without made by Steiner that Carnival sells at their spa( but you can get online) called California Sun Glow.

Click those links and it will take you to the pages to read/see the products.

Stuff is amazing.

You look as if you have been in the sun all day, it is so beautiful. It can go all over too.

So you used all three at once? How do you make the Mystic last longer? Our cruise is 9 days. I will have to try it out.

So you used all three at once? How do you make the Mystic last longer? Our cruise is 9 days. I will have to try it out.

Thank you about the picture..:)

The Mystic I make last longer by using my sunless on board. Either Mystic products or other I have posted, but I always bring something.

The California Glow and Legal Sunburn are both makeup, so they can be used at the same time.

One is a bronzer, the other is more of a blush/highlighter.

Both are very light and do not look like makeup,nor feel like it.

I do NOT like the heavy "foundation" look and do not use liquid foundation of any kind on a daily basis year round.:eek:

You use the CalGlow first and then use Legal Sunburn to hit the areas where you would see color from the sun after a day in it to give you that 'kissed' look!

:D :D

Thanks, Ladies for all of your great tips and sharing your wisdom! :) I leave on a cruise the beginning of April and have some of the Jergens Natural Glow as well as the express lotion. Should I start the tanner NOW? I was thinking I would wait until maybe a week and a half before the cruise. Is that not enough time for it to build up? I'm pretty fair skinned.Thanks for any advice!

Okay I feel silly asking this but DHW how did you get your back to match the rest of you with applying self tanner?:o There is no way I would be able to do it myself unless there is some trick that you might give me:confused: :p

TY!:)

Okay I feel silly asking this but DHW how did you get your back to match the rest of you with applying self tanner?:o There is no way I would be able to do it myself unless there is some trick that you might give me

TY!:)

Good question..

It's why I got married!:rolleyes: :D

LOL,seriously though, my DH, sister,daughter or friend comes in here!

They will don a pair of my lovely latex gloves and get to work.;)

Some complain, some don't....either way , they love me and know I would do the same for them!!:D

Thanks, Ladies for all of your great tips and sharing your wisdom! :) I leave on a cruise the beginning of April and have some of the Jergens Natural Glow as well as the express lotion. Should I start the tanner NOW? I was thinking I would wait until maybe a week and a half before the cruise. Is that not enough time for it to build up? I'm pretty fair skinned.Thanks for any advice!

I would definately get started now, as this way you can work out any "kinks' along the way.

What if your body rejects the lotion!?:eek:

Seriously, if you have never used it, there are some ingredients in some of the lotions that make some more sensitive.

Also, everyone's chemical makeup is different, therefore your color reaction might not be as natural as you may like to the product and you may have to try another.

You do not want to find this out 2 days before you leave!

DHA is the same (which is the active self tanning agent), but companies add all kinds of other 'stuff ' in there to enhance the product.

Our bodies all react differently to these other ingredients, thus altering the Ph balance and in turn the final color...i.e orange.:eek:

(yes I said... the word:D )

This is why I stick the ones I do, as the are the purest, and have the highest concentrations of the DHA and nothing else that will alter your ph balance.

Your over the counters have to have inferior ingredients in them to make them so affordable.But they can be tricky...NOT bad, just tricky.:)

start now to avoid any problems any you will be a bronzed beauty w/o any worry down the road!

Archived