deck 10 aft balcony?

lowerdegrl

I enjoyed the Aft Minis, the only BA I would rather have over the AFs are the deck 10 cabins, otherwise I'd stick with the AF.
We actually 'have' 11152 and our friends have 11154! :) Would be nice if the balcony partition opened, as on most CCL ships, but I'm sure we'll be fine..:D

Many thanks for the information... We tried for the Deck 10 BA's, but one was already booked.. The upgrade to the AF from the BA (Deck 9) is a birthday surprise for the wife..;):p

We actually 'have' 11152 and our friends have 11154! :) Would be nice if the balcony partition opened, as on most CCL ships, but I'm sure we'll be fine..:D

Many thanks for the information... We tried for the Deck 10 BA's, but one was already booked.. The upgrade to the AF from the BA (Deck 9) is a birthday surprise for the wife..;):p

Dave, looking at Kris's photo's, it looks as tho' the partitions DO open. :confused: I can't remember from last year. Craft moment again. :eek:

I was in 11154 (Aft/Stern AF Mini-suite) on the Pearl in Dec. The 2 deck 10 BAs definitely have far larger balconies than the AFs on deck 11 (both width and length). Deck 9's BAs are also wider than the AFs, but they're not as deep, and the ones on deck 8 are even shallower.

I enjoyed the Aft Minis, the only BA I would rather have over the AFs are the deck 10 cabins, otherwise I'd stick with the AF.

I have some pictures of 11154 posted on my Photobucket site here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ddakrt/Caribbean%20Dec%2008/

Thanks for the pics Kris. I have a question for you or for anyone else who may have noticed or know.

I just booked a handicapped aft AF on the Pearl. There are 2 on deck 11. One is on the corner port side....11650. The other right next to it....11654. I chose the corner one....11650. In general, because HC cabins are larger (almost double wide) the balconies are larger too. However, looking at your one pic of the stern of the Pearl, it looks to me as if the inside one, 11654 has a larger balcony then the corner one.

Does anyone know? Or at least tell me what you think of from that picture.

Here's the direct link to that photo. The cabin I booked is on the far left of the picture, deck 11. My other choice would be the one right next to it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ddakrt/Caribbean%20Dec%2008/?action=view&current=i00112.jpg

Thank! :)

CG

PS: I zoomed in on the pic and although it looks like the balconies may be the same size, it looks as if some of the corner room balcony may be sort of recessed behind the wall and not as open? I'm thinking I should change rooms since the other is still available.

Dave, looking at Kris's photo's, it looks as tho' the partitions DO open. :confused: I can't remember from last year. Craft moment again. :eek:

Yep, half of the partition do open, just ask your room steward a shout and they should be able to help you open the divider.

Thanks for the pics Kris. I have a question for you or for anyone else who may have noticed or know.

I just booked a handicapped aft AF on the Pearl. There are 2 on deck 11. One is on the corner port side....11650. The other right next to it....11654. I chose the corner one....11650. In general, because HC cabins are larger (almost double wide) the balconies are larger too. However, looking at your one pic of the stern of the Pearl, it looks to me as if the inside one, 11654 has a larger balcony then the corner one.

Here's the direct link to that photo. The cabin I booked is on the far left of the picture, deck 11. My other choice would be the one right next to it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ddakrt/Caribbean%20Dec%2008/?action=view&current=i00112.jpg

CG

PS: I zoomed in on the pic and although it looks like the balconies may be the same size, it looks as if some of the corner room balcony may be sort of recessed behind the wall and not as open? I'm thinking I should change rooms since the other is still available.

CruisnGram, I have better pics of the aft section of the Jewel class ships at home that we can better analyze. Will post those up later on when I get home.

I honestly don't think one room differs all that much from another, but if I had to pick I'd probably choose the one torwards the inside of the ship without the rounded corner of the metal of part of the ship. If that made sense...

That and you'll be closer to the starboard side of the ship if there are more things to see on that side.

CG

Please tell me you didn't mean that you booked it only because HC's are bigger which is what your post implies.

Please tell me you didn't mean that you booked it only because HC's are bigger which is what your post implies.
I would never ask that... I know on CCL, if one books a handicapped cabin, but does not need one, then CCL will move that booking to another cabin (within category) if a true HC person wants to book...:rolleyes: Besides, I wouldn't want to give up the tub, as the HC cabin has a 'roll in' shower...:) (and no tub)..

Ann, you may be right... Looks like the partition does open.. Whoppee...!:p:D

I would never ask that... I know on CCL, if one books a handicapped cabin, but does not need one, then CCL will move that booking to another cabin (within category) if a true HC person wants to book...:rolleyes: Besides, I wouldn't want to give up the tub, as the HC cabin has a 'roll in' shower...:) (and no tub)..

Ann, you may be right... Looks like the partition does open.. Whoppee...!:p:D

I am sorry to correct you but once a HC cabin is booked the person in it will not be asked to move. For one thing the Cruise line is forbidden from asking why you need it. So they also cannot ask someone to give one up without asking those same questions which are forbidden by law. A lot of people book them figuring they will be moved if needed and may get a nice upgrade. It does not work like that. I wish AB's would learn this since there are so few HC cabins on ships, some older ships it is no more than TWO and even the new ones it is not more than about 30 which is a very small number of ALL cabins on a huge ship.

The Cruise lines foster this misinformation, as the agents, and we all know how much they actually know about how things work, assure people that they will be moved if the cabin is needed. It Is Not True.

Sorry that was the implication that you received from my post. I've posted many times on these boards about my father who travels with us and uses an electric mobility scooter to get around. His scooter will not fit through a standard cabin door. That is why we need to book HC rooms. I simply assumed that most of those on this board know that, so I didn't bother putting in the reason that we booked a HC cabin.

My post was simply to ask if anyone knew if one balcony was bigger then the other since both are HC rooms and the picture makes it appear so. And if I'm definitely booking one of the two, and one has a larger balcony then the other, I may as well take the one with the bigger balcony...agreed?

CG

The Cruise lines foster this misinformation, as the agents, and we all know how much they actually know about how things work, assure people that they will be moved if the cabin is needed. It Is Not True.

I would normally agree with you. However, when I booked this trip, I asked the agent if the HC mini's were still available. I automatically told her why we needed it for my dad. When she booked us, she said she was going to make a notation on our reservation that we needed the HC cabin so we wouldn't get bumped. So I'm assuming from that, it does occasionally happen.

CG

I think Stlrboo was saying that is not a polite question to ask.

I believe Gram know's booking etiquette .

Thanks Biker, but I understand. Booking HC cabins when they're not needed are a senstive topic around here which I completely understand. In fact, I've gotten into those discussions myself when people seem to want them just because they are bigger.

It was my fault for not posting the info about my dad. But I've said it so often on these boards, I thought people would know by now. My mistake.

Thanks again.

CG

Will not 'quote' anyone, but have seen firsthand on cruiselines other than NCL, that it does happen... :p

You may live in your dreamland that 'anyone' can book a HC cabin (for whatever reason they chose), BUT if they can not substantiate the fact that they do, in fact, qualify for the HC status, SOME cruiselines WILL rebook the reservation...:)

Just IMHO, but I've seen in happen...;)

I am glad you have a need for one, well I don't mean that the way it sounds I am not glad your dad needs it but you know what I mean. and no matter what the agent said it does not happen other than very rare ON board examples where the cruiseline has messed up big time. I can count the times I have heard of it actually being done on one hand and have fingers left over.

I am sorry to correct you but once a HC cabin is booked the person in it will not be asked to move.
So you are OK with the fact that someone who doesn't need a HC cabin, and is booking it only because it is larger, is OK???:eek:

I personally, would be totally upset with whatever cruiseline, if I tried to book a HC cabin for my HC grand-daughter and was told that none were available... And then find out there was someone in that cabin who REALLY didn't need it...:o

Kinda' like getting someone else's HC parking pass and parking in a HC space in front of a store...!! Your 'BAD'.. IMHO!!!

So you are OK with the fact that someone who doesn't need a HC cabin, and is booking it only because it is larger, is OK???:eek:

No one is okay with it. Well, maybe those that do it and get away with it, but not the majority of us.

I personally, would be totally upset with whatever cruiseline, if I tried to book a HC cabin for my HC grand-daughter and was told that none were available... And then find out there was someone in that cabin who REALLY didn't need it...:o

It happens all the time on cruise ships. On all cruise lines. Passengers are wise to the fact that the HC rooms are much bigger. And they want that space. So they ask for a HC cabin. The cruise lines will not ask if they need it or not...they get it. Sad, but oh so true. Next time you are on a cruise, locate some of the HC rooms and watch the people that come out of them. Many of them are able bodies with not a HC person in sight.

Kinda' like getting someone else's HC parking pass and parking in a HC space in front of a store...!! Your 'BAD'.. IMHO!!!

I agree with you, but until cruise lines do something about their policy, then there's not much we can do. My personal thoughts are that HC cabins should be kept available until they are the last cabin left in that particular category. Once all other cabins are gone, then the cruise line should be able to release that HC cabin. I also think that they should require proof that you need a HC room but they don't. Perhaps the other poster is right when they claim that they cannot by law. Unfortunately, we live in such a PC world that even the laws that are supposed to protect HC individuals hamper them.

So in the meantime, if you ever need a HC room, just book early. It's the only way you are probably going to get one.

CG

"HC rooms are much bigger. And they want that space. So they ask for a HC cabin. The cruise lines will not ask if they need it or not...they get it."

I am surprised the cruise lines do not ask you for some proof of handicap; they ask to see a union card if you're booked with a union discount!

BTW: I've looked into handicap compliant staterooms, and while they're large, they very sterile looking, much like a hospital room. I can't imagine wanting to have accommodations that would remind me of a hospital stay.

I am surprised the cruise lines do not ask you for some proof of handicap; they ask to see a union card if you're booked with a union discount!

BTW: I've looked into handicap compliant staterooms, and while they're large, they very sterile looking, much like a hospital room. I can't imagine wanting to have accommodations that would remind me of a hospital stay.

I am amazed that anyone would book a HC stateroom, just "for more room"... Truthfully, never crossed my mind!:(

I would be so embarrassed to walk into, or out of the cabin, if I wasn't handicapped (or anyone else in the cabin).... :o

Just isn't right..... IMHO!! For what it's worth...

I have to disagree with some of ya'll. I had an accident and subsequent knee surgey 2 weeks before our AK cruise on X and they moved a non-HC person out of a HC cabin so I could have it. On X the HC rooms are the same, not sterile...just the bathrooms are wide open inside and rather than a step up, the floor slopes up.

Clay

I have to disagree with some of ya'll. I had an accident and subsequent knee surgey 2 weeks before our AK cruise on X and they moved a non-HC person out of a HC cabin so I could have it. On X the HC rooms are the same, not sterile...just the bathrooms are wide open inside and rather than a step up, the floor slopes up.
Am glad to hear that you were able to displace a non-handicapped person who had booked the cabin 'just as its larger'!!:)

Happens all the time on Carnival, as I've had several people on our Roll Call's who were affected in one way or another...:rolleyes:

On our last two 'Cabin Crawls' on RCI and Carnival, we were lucky enough to see two HC cabins... I thought they were very nice, but also more accessible than a normal cabin...

Roll-in shower, larger doors and no door step-ups...!!:p Room in the cabin to use a wheelchair or Scooter..!!

Again, I think it is wonderful that the cruiselines are able to accomodate handicapped passengers...

BUT, depressed when someone, who doesn't need one, books the cabin anyway!... IMHO..!

On X the HC rooms are the same, not sterile...just the bathrooms are wide open inside and rather than a step up, the floor slopes up.

Clay

I've stayed in 3 HC rooms on NCL ships with my dad and have found them to be wonderful rooms. They've had everything that regular cabins have but are just accomodating for the HC person with roll in bathrooms etc. The only thing I don't like about them is the low closest poles. I understand why they are like that but they're so darned low if you are standing up! :)

CG

I was in 11154 (Aft/Stern AF Mini-suite) on the Pearl in Dec. The 2 deck 10 BAs definitely have far larger balconies than the AFs on deck 11 (both width and length). Deck 9's BAs are also wider than the AFs, but they're not as deep, and the ones on deck 8 are even shallower.

I have some pictures of 11154 posted on my Photobucket site here:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v158/ddakrt/Caribbean%20Dec%2008/

I thank you for posting those photos!!! We're booked in 11154 late this year!

For those that were kind enough to show the pictures of the stern of the Pearl and the cabins, and were in helping me make the cabin decision, I did go ahead and change from that outside corner mini (11650) to the next one in (11654). The agent agreed that part of the balcony may be behind part of the wall making it difficult to see to the right.

Thanks everyone for your help.

CG

Archived