Need advice after receiving sad news

mringenoldus

We were fortunate enought 2 get two grand suites for our party of 4 friends on the Mediterranea March 15.

One of the ladies was so excited to go - she's had a miserable year. Now she has received a call that her mother has fallen and there are some other concerns. To make a long story short, I received a tearful message from her tonight saying she feels she has to cancel.

While I'm still hoping for a miracle and don't want to consider going without her - realisticly that's about to happen.

Does anyone have enough experience with Costa to help me with these two options?

I have already spoken to Costa about a name change when I first heard about her mother. For a small fee they will let me substitute another person right up until we are about to leave. So I know this is one option if we can find someone who is able to join us.

I also wondered if there was a possibility that we could move the remaining person into the other grand suite (since it holds 3 people) and have the funds from the unused cabin put on hold for a future cruise. I know Princess has allowed this.

Unfortunately, by the time I found out the Costa offices were closed. Can anyone help?

This is so sad......

Maureen

Sorry to hear about your predicament, after you have been looking forward to your cruise.

Speak to Costa asap and see if you can cancel / return one of the GS suites. I had a look at the Med 15th. March cruise and the GS suites are no longer available. This could be in your favour, even more if Costa has a waiting list.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Ron

Ron

Thank you for your kind words. I have called Costa and was able to speak with someone who shared some helpful information with me.

It is clearly in our best interest now to find a 4th person again. We'll have to see what today brings.

Still praying for a miracle for my friend so that she could somehow be able to go.

Thanks, Maureen

Boy, I wish I could help you make up a "fourth!"

I wish you luck ... maybe you should post a thread with that request?

Based on the title of your thread, I thought someone had passed away ...

Not to make light of the stress of your predicament, but why not "advertise" the empty spot here on the boards (is there a singles board?) and see if you get any takers?

The very best of luck to you in solving this dilemma.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you! I'm sure it'll work out. :)

Sorry - I'm not usually in any way a drama queen.

I wasn't really as worried about how to fix the problem as I was the problem itself. This poor woman has waited all year for this cruise only to have to cancel at the last minute. She has spent the best part of that year nursing her critically injured husband back to health after he fell from a roof.

We are still deciding on whether to replace our friend. We've asked a few people we know we would enjoy spending time with - but no luck so far.

I need to contact the travel agent for our other options. We received good advice on how to avoid the single supplement - if it comes down to that.

Maureen:

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope that you can just move the other person into your suite and get a credit for the other person. Know you have been looking forward to this cruise as much as we have been. Let us know how it works out for you.

Karen

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry! Here's the end of the story....

In 25 minutes, our limo is due to pick us up for the airport trip. Unfortunately, we are going without my friend.

We were able to find another teacher that was able to pay the steep airfare in exchange for me covering the original's friend's cruise fare. The cruiseline charged $50 for the name change.

We're going to have a great time - but we will very much miss our friend. I keep thinking how sad she must be tonight knowing she was supposed to be leaving on a great trip.

Maureen

Archived