Insider's Tips for dining reservations on Jewel

jtrain73

Having read several reviews it seems like it is pretty basic, that you can only make reservations for that night or the next night.

Are there any experienced NCL cruiser tips for dealing with reservations at all the various places to eat?

We want to try Mama's Italian, the Teppanyaki room and Chin Chin for sure. Probably also want to hit Le Bistro.

What is the best way to get the best table times? I have seen notes about 2 for 1 specials after or before certain times are those still happening?

Having read several reviews it seems like it is pretty basic, that you can only make reservations for that night or the next night.

Are there any experienced NCL cruiser tips for dealing with reservations at all the various places to eat?

We want to try Mama's Italian, the Teppanyaki room and Chin Chin for sure. Probably also want to hit Le Bistro.

What is the best way to get the best table times? I have seen notes about 2 for 1 specials after or before certain times are those still happening?

Well, there are two systems for reservations;

If you are in a cabin level or have VIP status due to being Gold or Platinum level latitudes which gives you access to the Concierge, you can make reservations for any day at any time.

If you are in any other category, you can only make reservations for the current day or next.

For the sake of this discussion, I will assume you fall into the latter category.

The most popular restaurants on the Jewel as far as reservations go are the teppanyaki, and Mama's Cuccina.

For teppanyaki I suggest making your reservation for the first night by going right to the reservation desk at Tango's directly upon boarding. They have 4 seatings, each accommodating only 32 people. It fills up fast.

For Mama's, pick a day you want to go there, and book it as early as possible THE DAY BEFORE by either visiting the desk, or calling the reservation number (located in your freestyle daily).

Le Bistro and Chin Chin are less of a problem since apparently the surcharge creates less of a demand, but once again, for the best times, it's best to book the day before.

On the Jewel, half price specialty restaurants are only for reservations after 9:00 PM.

Well, there are two systems for reservations;

If you are in a cabin level or have VIP status due to being Gold or Platinum level latitudes which gives you access to the Concierge, you can make reservations for any day at any time.

If you are in any other category, you can only make reservations for the current day or next.

For the sake of this discussion, I will assume you fall into the latter category.

The most popular restaurants on the Jewel as far as reservations go are the teppanyaki, and Mama's Cuccina.

For teppanyaki I suggest making your reservation for the first night by going right to the reservation desk at Tango's directly upon boarding. They have 4 seatings, each accommodating only 32 people. It fills up fast.

For Mama's, pick a day you want to go there, and book it as early as possible THE DAY BEFORE by either visiting the desk, or calling the reservation number (located in your freestyle daily).

Le Bistro and Chin Chin are less of a problem since apparently the surcharge creates less of a demand, but once again, for the best times, it's best to book the day before.

On the Jewel, half price specialty restaurants are only for reservations after 9:00 PM.

Thanks for the info!! What if you are in the first category?

Thanks for the info!! What if you are in the first category?

If you are in the first category, you can make contact with Alex the concierge (HE IS GREAT!) at any time and make reservations for the entire cruise.

Must we make reservations only for the restaurants with a surcharge? Or must we make reservations for ALL of the restaurants on board? I'm totally confused by all of this.

Thanks.

10 days till the Jewel!

Must we make reservations only for the restaurants with a surcharge? Or must we make reservations for ALL of the restaurants on board? I'm totally confused by all of this.

Thanks.

10 days till the Jewel!

You don't need reservations for Tsars Palace or Azura (the two "main" dining rooms) or for Blue Lagoon. The Garden buffet and Great Outdoors, of course, don't take reservations. Cagney's, Bistro, Teppanyaki, Chin Chin, Mama's, and the Tex-Mex restaurant (Mambo's?), do require reservations.

We decided before we boarded what time we wanted to dine each night based on what was going on that day. Once onboard, we went directly to our cabin, called reservation and booked the whole week. We ate at a different restaurant each night.

We had a large party (9) and had no problems getting the times or place we wanted.

That was over a year ago, things have changed. Everything that Cliff said is true now. If you are a VIP, you can have Alex make reservations in the regular dinning rooms too.

Most evenings will have two shows. Sometimes only one,and on ocassion three shows - but not the always the same stuff. Since you can eat almost anytime you want, you can work around those show times.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of people never make any reservations. They just decide to go eat when they want and skip the extra pay restaurants. You easily have at least three options, and maybe more depending in the ship.

And, sad to say, some people make reservations and then decide not to go. Sometimes a day of doing nothing at sea, or a busy day in port changes the mood.

Order the anniversary package, you don't have to eat at LeBistro, though I can not imagine not wanting to, then when you call it is an almost guarantee to get what you want and when. Makes you feel like a VIP

mew1

Last time we were on the Jewel, 6 months ago, and the time before also, surcharge for the specialty restaurants was half price before 6:30pm. We took advantage of this 3 times to eat in Le Bistro, still one of the best restaurants we have ever been to. Has this changed? Also, I concur - Alex is the best!

What do you do for lunch?

Since you mentioned that you are VIP, go to Cagneys.

Tsars Palace is the jeans free restaurant.

In Feb., most of the pay restaurants were 1/2 price after 9pm.

Archived